Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not drinking before/during/after meals

Ok, so I'm doing really well with the amount of food I eat and all of that, nothing like that has been bothering me, I'm not even tempted by other peoples "bad" food anymore. BUT, I am having a really hard time getting used to not drinking before/during/after meals. Especially, during. Anyone else having this problem? I just felt like venting a little bit because for some reason, it seemed really difficult for me this weekend. I didn't give in, but it's been hard. :)

I agree, Carrie, it is really hard. Before surgery, it wasn't abnormal for me to have 3 glasses of Fluid with a meal. I am working on it, but sometimes I still must have a drink!

My husband and I were banded in Mexico on May 28, 2009. The no drinking thing with your food is soooo hard for me too. Almost impossible at this point, but I am getting better. Before surgery, I asked my Dr. if it was ok to sip the Water with my meals and he said it was ok, but even that sometimes causes me to have PB's. I knew this was gonna be a tough one for me, but I am determined to make this work, no matter what I have to do. Nothing like PBing to get you to try to stop or at least cut back, but this is very difficult for me. It doesn't seem to bother my husband, so I guess it is just what we were used to before the band. Total life style changes, that is what we have to do, and although difficult, it will be worth it in the end. That is what I tell myself and when I get down or depressed about something, I visit this website.. it totally helps. Not only because you can see that someone else out there is going through exactly what you are going through and you are not alone, but also you can see the rewarding results for those who have fought there way through it and won!!!!! Hang in there.

It is hard for me as well. I still find myself reaching for a glass when I eat - but stop myself ahead of time. If I do not, my stomach is unhappy!

My biggest issue is, since I do not drink while eating, I tend to not drink much (if at all) throughout the day and I have become very dehydrated. I have even gone so far as to put in calendar reminders for myself to drink Water.< /p>

I have a heard time with this too. I am only two weeks post op. with no fill. but i make sure if i drink when eating it is same sips just to wet the taste some and i stop eating before me three to four oz. if i get hungery before time, i have some unsweet Decaf tea. and make myself hold out till next the next meal. most of the time I find that i was not really hungery anyway.

I am 3 months post-op and struggle with this as well. This is a lot harder than other things I've given up, like soda. I try really hard to remember. If I have a glass of Water, I move it out of my reach while I eat. I find it harder when eating out, because people tend not to believe me when I say I don't want ANTHING to drink. Thy will often bring water, "just in case". I've given up on that and just give it to someone else at the table.