Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this must be somewhere, but....

On prescripition meds...i take bp pills--they are capsules and arent tooo big--maybe the size of a tylenol capsule. Do you think they are too big to swallow? My PCP told me i should be able to swallow it (im afriad) and i tried opening it up in pudding..i didnt get the whole thing in and it was awful. I did take a smaller capsule with no problem.

My diabetes pill is huge--but right now i dont have to take that, i can cut that one up when the time comes...

I'm just concerned with the bp pill .

I was banded Tuesday.

Thanks for feedback...i just know i dont want it to get stuck!

We're all different but...my post op pain med was Darvocet tabs! LOL (lortab makes me vomit) I didn't even THINK about "can I swallow this" and the 2 doses I took went down fine. And that is WAY bigger than tylenol...2-3 times the size? A math-ish person would know.

Anyway if you can get Water down fine your BP med should go down fine too. AND worst WORST case, it will dissolve and then go on down. You'll NEVER know. And you need your BP meds!

Try it. You'll be fine.

I've had no problems with pills. And as for BP medicine, thats irreleveant because I don't need them anymore. Something to look forward to.

I've had no problems with pills. And as for BP medicine, thats irreleveant because I don't need them anymore. Something to look forward to.

Ah...well so far i dont have to take my diabetes medication...so thats good...but i did buy a blood pressure machne and my bp is kinda high still....my doctor said "i even have skinny people on bd meds"...uh..ok lol. So hopefully one day i can get off them too - thats my goal!

If your surgeon did not put any fill in during surgery, you would probably be okay to swallow them. One thing you can do is open the pills up and use a small piece of bread as a "plug" (just big enough to keep the powder from spilling out of each pill). Soft American cheese, like Velveeta works too. I had a pharmacist tell me about this when I had to take a lower dose of a med that only came in capsules.

Either way, I hope you get it down!

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!! if you in a post op all liquid phase, DO NOT please DO NOT put pills in bread or cheese. Seriously! ALL liquid means just that...ALL LIQUID. Not all liquid except for a little cheese. It is really really important.

The advice is fine other times but not post op lap band, ok? If you can't get it down as it is, don't take it.

Guest freedom2009

Hope you are doing well. Yest I had a 2 hour class (surgery is 7/21) I was told not to take a pill larger than size of a dime.

I take BP pills(not capsules) and have had no problems at all.

I was told to crush all meds or get liquid. I tried the crushing. It was awful. I take some pretty big pills and so far they have gone down with a sip of Water. I take alot of pills, and it is impossible for me to do it any other way. I was banded on May 15 and have only 2cc in my band. May become a problem when I get more fills, but hopefully by that time I will be off of most of my meds. Good luck to you.

I was told not to take any pills larger than an Advil. Otherwise, pills should be cut or crushed. Capsule contents should never be emptied and taken. They are put in the capsule because they can be very harsh on your stomach. If cutting or crushing does not work for you, contact your PCP to see if you can get a liquid version of your medication.

I had meds to take post -surgery and called the surgeon's office. The NP told me to KEEP to the all liquid diet!!!!! But advised me to take the meds with hot tea....It dissolves pills and capsules very quickly. It was a great idea and worked well.

Good luck!!!

We're all different but...my post op pain med was Darvocet tabs! LOL (lortab makes me vomit) I didn't even THINK about "can I swallow this" and the 2 doses I took went down fine. And that is WAY bigger than tylenol...2-3 times the size? A math-ish person would know.

Anyway if you can get Water down fine your BP med should go down fine too. AND worst WORST case, it will dissolve and then go on down. You'll NEVER know. And you need your BP meds!

Try it. You'll be fine.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but my surgeon gave me my prescription. First he gave me one for Lortab, but I was like "Uh, yeah... is there anything else I can take instead?" The last time I took Lortab (when I got my wisdom teeth removed), I had a severe panic attack... I was throwing up, had chills, chest pain, etc... I didn't know what it was at the time and thought I was dying, so my parents took me to the E.R.

Never again.

So he gave me Dilaudid instead (which I've never even heard of).

Hmmm Dilaudid is a narcotic too...

Holli if I were you I'd just make sure I had some liquid tylenol on hand. That really did it for me. Just be cautious taking the dilaudid if you had such a severe reaction to hydrocodone (your doc knows what he's doing, I'm just passing along a tip!)

Remember too if you take it it can constipate you (as can all opioid narcotics) so keep an eye on that too.

I haven't had the surgery yet, but my surgeon gave me my prescription. First he gave me one for Lortab, but I was like "Uh, yeah... is there anything else I can take instead?" The last time I took Lortab (when I got my wisdom teeth removed), I had a severe panic attack... I was throwing up, had chills, chest pain, etc... I didn't know what it was at the time and thought I was dying, so my parents took me to the E.R.

Never again.

So he gave me Dilaudid instead (which I've never even heard of).

Please be very careful with the Dilaudid. Granted, it's a great pain killer, but it's very strong. I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you from personal experience that it can make you dizzy, etc.

Joan

If it makes you feel better about the dilaudid my mother has the same kind of reaction you're talking about to every single narcotic EXCEPT dilaudid. One of the pharmacists I used to work with said that it happens to some people because dilaudid is synthetic. Just be super careful.