Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else have a problem with phlem?

I seem to be having a very hard time with phlem and trying to get it up and out it is so painful and I am sure not good for me. I am 2days banded and it concerns me. I have never read on here that anyone else had this problem. Has anyone had this issue?

Input is great and appreciated and oh my gosh and sneezing is bad bad bad..lol

Thanks

Michele

Why do you have phlegm? Are you using your incentive spirometer and keeping your lungs clear? Do you have a cold or allergy? Is it FROM your lungs? Or do you mean mucous from your stomach? I need a little more info to help you, please!

My Dr. had me get Zyrtec (Walmart version just as good) for that problem. If your band fills with phlem, you will have problems getting down the liquids you need. Check with your Dr... this is an over the counter medication to dry up any drainage. It has helped me!!

Tenika

Neek Neek...your band won't fill with phlegm. It is a closed system; the only thing in it is/should be sterile saline. :frown:

But yes if you have allergies and have an allergy med you prefer, take it! :)

My first post and I screw up the words!! I didnt mean band, but the pouch is what I meant. Sorry bout that ... :frown:

:frown: Some docs don't do much education, so you never know! LOL

I had a problem with phlem right after my surgery too. Eventually it went away. I know it was hard to cough and get it up. I did that breathing tube thing they gave me at the hospital but had a hard time doing that too. It will stop eventually.

I have really bad allergies and post nasal drip. I had to stop taking the zyrtec before surgery and of course after I stop it takes a few days after I start it again to start working right. I was hacking up phlegm for the first week after surgery. After that it was fine again. You can get a 360 count bottle of zyrtec from costco (they call it aller-tec) for about 15 bucks. I would definitely try that if it's allergy related.

I had it the first month, may have now, but not as aware of it. I could always feel it at night and felt I needed to bring it up in the morning. After the first month or perhaps a bit longer, it subsided. I do often have some sinus problems so it may have contributed to it some.

I did have a problem at first. I was banded last Thursday and once I got into my room after recovery I had a hard time with feeling like I had to cough something up. The breathing exercises didn't help (but damn, did they dry me out). I couldn't cough it up until the following day when I got home. I had a very sore throat, almost like when I have a bad sinus infection, and that led me to believe it had to do with being intubated. The sore throat is virtually gone now, as is the phlegm.

As for sneezing...every time I have to do it I'm terrified! lol

Goalwatcher!

Hey how are you feeling today on day 4 post op? I too had my band placed on Thursday. Wow that was a wild 24hrs after the fact. The biggest thing was getting NO rest at all. It would seem that I woke up today in very little pain even found myself laying in bed on my side/tummy just as normal. Still can not move quickly, can not bend, or do anything crazy strenuious (spelling). Well good luck on the journey that lay ahead and keep in touch!

Have a great monday and thanks for the input on the phlem issues.

I was feeling good yesterday, but today I'm back at work and it's not the greatest. Sitting in my desk chair, bra on, it feels like everything is squished up and I am feeling some discomfort. How are you feeling? It's weird, right?

You're right, the 24 hours after surgery were crazy! I don't know about you, but I was h-u-r-t-i-n-g. And I wasn't afraid to ask for the IV pain meds. :sad: Also, they were mystified at my ability to pee so regularly. What they didn't know was that I was waiting for the ice chips to melt and drinking all the Water out of the swabs.

The best part about my overnight in the hospital was that I got my own room with one big window overlooking the city skyline. :rolleyes:

My surgeon's office allows us to have sugar free, fat free pudding two days after surgery, which was great, but I think it moves down too slowly right now. Saturday I'm going to eat pureed egg salad and I will be in absolute heaven.

All the best!

--Jen

had, and still do to some extent, the phlegm issue. to cough it up i hold a pillow tight to my belly/incisions. if you are doing alot of sneezing and keep the pillow next to you...perhaps it would help for that too.

Actually i was banded on the 13th. I had phlem in post op also. They finally had to give me a breathing treatment, no I'm not asthmatic. I STill have phlem as well, my husband who is a nurse anesthetist says to keep using your spirometer, so it will inflate your lungs. It's been helping me a little!!!