Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after swallow do u know ur stuck?

How long after you swallow something does it take until you know you're stuck? I'm asking because here lately I've noticed that right after I swallow, I'll think, "oh, I should've chewed that better," and I instantly feel the stuck pain. Should it be that quick? I mean, shouldn't it take a while for that bite to work it's way down to the opening? I'm wondering if I might need a fill, but I'm battling with myself that I'm still getting stuck occasionally, so I must still have ok restriction. Then again, shouldn't it be a few minutes after a big-bite or bad-chew mishap before I feel it?

I haven't lost weight in about 3 weeks, but I don't wanna go to Mexico for a fill only for him to tell me I'm already at good restriction (fluoro fills). This is hard guesstimation! :confused:

Any thoughts?

It depends. If I didn't chew well or swallowed too much then I know right away. If I ate the wrong food or ate too much it may take a little while.

But don't make the mistake of determining restriction by whether you are getting stuck. One really doesn't have much to do with the other. If you are getting stuck then that is an indication that you are not eating properly or you are eating the wrong foods. Early on, I could get stuck when my band was empty, obviously I was not at restriction I simply was not eating properly.

Take smaller bites (about the size of the nail bed on your index finger), chew well, swallow and wait a few seconds before you pick up your fork again. And stop when you are no longer hungry. Master eating properly first then you can determine if you need a fill because the tighter you are, the worse the stuck episodes will be.

To determin if you need a fill, you should be getting satisfied on 1 cup or less of food, staying satisfied until your next meal (at least four hours) and of course losing weight.

I'd say "right away" but last night I ate, felt fine, starting burping a lot and 2 hours after dinner, hurt like the devil! And then PB'd. So I guess it depends. Ticks me off though; you'd think that by now I would recognize the signs better, and I usually do, but the one last night snuck up on me.

Its really weird how that happens, i mean if the food is supposed to stay in your pouch how on earth can you know you're stuck instantly? But that's how it often happens.

It varies for me - a real mistake bite - swallowed unchewed, swallowed hastily, way too big, I'll know that right away. Sometimes however I can pack in four or five more bites before it hits me.

For that reason i find waiting between bites even MORE important than chewing. Never take forkful after forkful without pausing.

Its really weird how that happens, i mean if the food is supposed to stay in your pouch how on earth can you know you're stuck instantly? But that's how it often happens.

I thought the same thing. I'm wondering if it's not stuck at the opening of the stomach in the esophagus? That's what it feels like to me at least.

Yes we call it stuck but it isn't exactly.

It depends. If I didn't chew well or swallowed too much then I know right away. If I ate the wrong food or ate too much it may take a little while.

But don't make the mistake of determining restriction by whether you are getting stuck. One really doesn't have much to do with the other. If you are getting stuck then that is an indication that you are not eating properly or you are eating the wrong foods. Early on, I could get stuck when my band was empty, obviously I was not at restriction I simply was not eating properly.

Take smaller bites (about the size of the nail bed on your index finger), chew well, swallow and wait a few seconds before you pick up your fork again. And stop when you are no longer hungry. Master eating properly first then you can determine if you need a fill because the tighter you are, the worse the stuck episodes will be.

To determin if you need a fill, you should be getting satisfied on 1 cup or less of food, staying satisfied until your next meal (at least four hours) and of course losing weight.

Hi Jodi....

noticed that you were banded on 5/30/08....so was I :thumbup:

I have lost 70 lbs.....down to 135, wearing size 6-8 jeans, pants, etc, and Medium tops!

Congrads on your weightloss !!!!:thumbup:

Hi Jodi....

noticed that you were banded on 5/30/08....so was I :thumbup:

I have lost 70 lbs.....down to 135, wearing size 6-8 jeans, pants, etc, and Medium tops!

Congrads on your weightloss !!!!:thumbup:

Thank You and right back at ya! :eek:

If I am truly stuck, I get hit within a minuet or two. If I just didn't chew well, it's a build up process. I fell the heavy sensations, I burp and burp to try to move the food around in there; sometimes it helps. Up to an hour later I am gagging and then the slime. Either one and the meal is over. Funny I can eat a chicken breast just fine, but chunks of chicken in a salad don't work.