Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal

I had my band done in Mexico two years ago.I went to get my first fill and the port and flipped so no fill. Anyway i wasn't able to go back and have it fixed until yesterday. Two years with the band and finally port fixed and my first fill. I was able to drink Water and the dr. office but that evening at the airport I was unable to. Today I have been trying to drink and one time it goes down the next it gets stuck. Do you have more restriction at different times of day?

I am tighter normally in the morning. If liquids are getting stuck, it sounds like you are too tight. If this continues, please try to get some of the fill taken out. In the mean time, try drinking warm liquids and see if that helps.

If you can't drink, you're too tight, and you can get dehydrated very very easily. If warm fluids don't help loosen things up, you may need an emergency unfill; just keep an eye on it!

Thanks alot I tried some warm broth and walked at the same time and it went down. It was weird because at the dr. I drank almost a whole bottle of Water than I get home and nothing was going down but the warm liquid worked. I am a little scared to try anything else. :confused:

You may need some taken out. Honestly; you MUST be able to drink fluids or you will get dehydrated and end up in the ER with an IV to rehydrate you. You need 64 ounces of Fluid a day, at least. Doesn't sound like you're getting anywhere near that. Can you drink room temp Water now?

I have gotten down more fluids today. I always thought that you had to have several fills to have restriction. I just hope it lasts I really want to get this weight off but I do want to be able to drink. I live so far away from any dr. so I really hope that I do not need any out. Thanks for all the concern.

It doesn't always take a lot or many fills to get restriction. I have only had 2 fills, and each one was only 1cc. I understand you want restriction, but if you are too tight you won't be able to eat proper foods. This can lead to eating unhealthy slider foods and, believe it or not, you may begin to gain. If you aren't able to eat properly in the next few days, please get some taken out.:frown:

Edited by crzytchr
ugh, my spelling sucked

Be really careful, and if you are unable to drink enough Fluid, get an unfill! I ended up in the hospital last weekend, and it was NOT fun. The ER doctors didn't know what they were doing and I had to be transfered to another hospital. I ended up spending two days in the hospital because I was so severely dehydrated.

I know your surgeon is in Mexico, but maybe you should try to find one in your own city who can handle the fills and monitor you to make sure you are getting the right amount of fluids and nutrients. You really need someone you can rely on in case you have and emergency.

Good luck!

I have found that in the first 2-3 days after a fill, I am super tight and can only take small sips of Water. I'm sure this is from the swelling caused by the fill. After things settle down, I'm ok again. Warm water and tiny sips help.