Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For some reason I am getting nervous!! HELP!

Well I am exactly one month away from my surgery. Today, well this morning, I had to do alot of driving for work and I started thinking and getting scared. Being scared is a new feeling for me meaning during this entire process not one time have I been scared. Don't get me wrong I am in NO WAY considering not getting my band, I'm just scared. Scared of the surgery, scared I won't be successful, scared I am paying out SOO much money out of my pocket and it won't work, scared I am going to be fat forever. What I don't understand is where have these thoughts came from!!!???? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I over reacting? It is about that time of month and I do get moody and emotional so I am hoping thats it. I have read all of your post and you are all so amazing! I want this so bad and I want to succeed at this so much!

Thanks for letting me vent!!! I am just freaking out, I am sure it will all pass! I simply cannot wait to get banded!! lol Patients isn't always one of my virtues!

Well, if you weren't getting nervious you probably wouldn't be human. I have yet to meet a bandster who wasn't nervous as The Big Date approached. Not a one. I thought I was going to wear a hole in my carpet, but I'm a pacer.

It's perfectly normal to be thinking about those things right now. You are fully aware that you will need to change your lifestyle and your feelings about your relationship with food. The band is simply a tool that helps us to learn how to change the lifestyle we all want and need. You're just have a little pre-surgery jitters I think, but I also think that you are exactly doing the right thing. To have this surgery and expect it to magically make your life perfect is unrealistic, which you are not.

I believe the way you are thinking is healthy and if you want to you may want to dissect each question you have and try to answer them yourself one at a time. Ask yourself why are you questioning if this will work? Afraid of failure? Who isn't, unfortunately people with morbid obesity issues have been made to feel like failures no matter what we do. I could find the cure for cancer and AIDS and the world would question how someone like me could possibly do that. After all she's fat and fat means stupid, slow, unmotivated, you get the idea.

Be proud of yourself for making this life altering decision to be banded. It's a huge step with a lot of controversy surrounding it, but you made up your own mind what is best for you and that is what is important. You are exactly the type of person who will succeed, I am sure of it.

Don't let the liar in trying to scare you into doing what you know in your heart is right.

Condy

im getting banded soon too and am feeling the exact same way

this is normal for you and you will be fine

YES!!! I felt the same thing!!! NO!! You are not over reacting!!! As the surgery got closer, my awareness increased of my fear of not being able to eat anything I want to, along with the fears of what if it doesn't work, etc. I did what Condy suggested, I tried to dissect these fears, which mostly come from such a long history of weight loss defeat, that it's so hard to conceive of something successful!!

Honestly, sometimes I'm still afraid it won't work . . . I'm still early in the process. But I'm beginning to see that it has a great liklihood of working if I work with it, and that it helps me work with it.

I think that with each step, and as success occurs, the fears will melt completely away! Hang in there!

As VQ said--scared is human...This is a life changing event. I felt the same way--really afraid that I would fail at this too..

The way I look at this is: This whole weight loss thing has been a puzzle I've been trying to put together for years..For me it is only a two piece puzzle (diet and exercise, not diet or exercise). I could never seem to get both pieces in my hand to complete this weight loss puzzle.

I would religously go to the gym but my head would tell me because I went to the gym I could eat whatever I wanted. Or I would watch what I ate only to forsake exercise because I was watching what I was eating.

Having the lap band has taken care of the eating thing for me--I am going to the gym three times a week. Dammit--it's working! 15 weeks out from surgery and I'm down 32 pounds.

It's true, you do focus on the can'ts before surgery....but the "can do's" that come after surgery are invaluable.

I am succeeding. I am not failing. THIS IS THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD! I truly, truly feel that I am capable of reaching my goal weight.

Being scared is normal--Being well informed is important.

You will do great!

Sal

I think it is only natural to be nervous. this is a big step in your life and therefor should cause some major anxiety. I think you are perfectly normal and that you will be so relieved when it is all over and done and your home safe and sound. Be emotional... its okay!!

I've been a total crying reck! I can't help it! I'm getting down to I don't want to go anywhere the next 3 days cause I don't want people to see me cry!

It is so comforting hearing what everyone has to say and knowing it is NORMAL!

I am so excited!

Nervous....heck, yeah, I was nervous.....all this is normal! Then you have the surgery and wake up and you're banded....it's a great feeling!!!

Every one has some stress, no body likes surgery I Read my bible before surgery it comforts me! Good luck with your surgery, when you have it....... a little bit of pain alittle bit of nerves or stress it will all be worth it. Take care God bless you. Your health is the most importent thing you have.JOHN

I was right there where you are one year ago, minus a couple of days, terrified and thrilled, excited to start the journey, afraid I'd fail... I'm down 85 pounds from my highest weight the in 2004. 73 from the day of surgery.

I'm not an exercise fanatic, but I am more active because I feel so much better now.

I don't do dieting well, but I eat less because the band makes me,

I avoid certain bready/fibery foods (read cake/cookies) because the band makes me,

I make better food choices out of need for nutrition,

because the band makes me.

You will succeed, because everytime you start feeling lax and realize you aren't actively working with your band, you'll come here to LBT, tell us you have been a bad bandster, and we all will support you, and encourage you, and you'll start doing better again, start losing again, and feeling better than you have in years... it always works for me.

Tears are ok, fears are ok, life as you know it is about to change...but you aren't gonna miss it.

This is one journey that I've never regretted. Here's hoping you can say the same to a newbie this time next year! Good Luck to you and Best wishes!