Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready to grow scales!

The only solid food that works so far without pain is fish and I have been eating it for 2 1/2 weeks daily. I think I'm starting to grow scales. I was banded on 9-29-2005 and although this is my 3rd week, should'nt I be able to eat more solid foods? The soft foods are fine, but earlier I tried to eat chicken salad and almost passed out from the pain. What's up? More oatmeal and cream of wheat? The sugarfree Jello pudding is great, but how much longer until I can eat "real food? "

Thanks Rose from Texas

Have you tried dark meat chicken like chicken leg or chicken thigh, also try it with some kind of sauce to dip in lie ranch dressing, or another thingthatworkedgreatfor mewhen I first started solids was chicken leg with canned green Beans, it seemdwhen I took a bite of chicken with a bite of the green bean at the same time it went down easier. Or I also cooked groindbeef and poured spaghetti sauce over it and ate it with parmessan cheese sprinkled on top, it worked wel ltoo, sometimes you just need some lubrication with it to make it go down easier which is why some kind of sauce works good.

Compared to my transition from liquids to solids, you're doing great. Mine was like this:-

2 weeks full liquids

1 week soft mushie foods (watery oatmeal, runny mashed potatoes, etc)

1 week with a lil more substance, like tuna, squished up canned spaghetti, etc

1 week lasagna, tuna mornay, caserole type dishes

1 week crackers, soft (poached) chicken with gravy, grilled salmon with sauce, etc

Then I was able to have full solids. Each doctor is different though. Keep your chin up - it'll happen. Just takes time for your body to adjust and heal.

I agree -- try Soups and casserole type dishes that are soft.

I found that a couple ounces of baked chicken breast, cut into very tiny pieces and then simmered in gravy worked well too. Super soft and moist.

My husband made a nice, squishy meatloaf the other night (used 2/3 ground turkey, 1/3 ground beef). I put a slice in a bowl with a little Water and nuked it and mushed it up -- looked an awful lot like canned cat food, but it was delish.

I'm just a couple days behind you... we can get through this!

I ate a lot of the packaged flavored tuna's early on, those are a good source of Protein, I do well with dark meat chicken only, sauces do help... I eat pintos and cheese from taco bell, things like that.

the time of day detemines how well I can eat. I have to be up for a few hours before I can eat much at all, then I can eat a little at a time through the afternoon, and then late in the evening, I tighten back up. Other bandsters can eat Breakfast, or can eat late.

Having my monthly visit from aunt flo means increased restriction, having a cold or other illness... same thing.

Try paying attention to when you eat, and how it goes, you may find that you have your own window of eating opportunity.