Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded on 7/7/09

Hi everyone:

This is strange to me, as I have been on several car Forums for many years, but thought I would check this out. Just got banded on 7/7/09. Pretty sore today, and not sure how far to push it. I will search around and learn as much as possible.

Hey Mike, welcome to lapbandtalk. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan going....don't push yourself, just do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

Hi PGAMike. Welcome. I just read an article about PGA Golfer John Daly being a Lapband person and he is loving life and its really helped him. I assumed you like golf with your nickname. Welcome and hope you finds lots of good information here to make the best decision for yourself.

Yes, I am a pro golfer, been bouncing around on the mini tours, and Canadian Tour for several years. Will be tough having to learn a new swing, but well worth it in the long run. LOL

Anybody have soreness, almost like cramping in their calves and shoulder areas? They are more sore then my abdomen. Someone said it was a side effect of the anestesia.

Thanks

Welcome! It took me about two weeks to feel like myself again after surgery. The answer is, don't push it at all!! Never push it with the lap band! Take it very easy and follow the instructions they give you exactly. I ate solids too soon and it really hurt, so be careful and soon this part will be a dim memory. Congratulations!

Hi Mike and welcome. I come from a family of golfers - but none of them is close to being a pro :thumbup: Congratulations on getting your band. The shoulder pain is usually a side effect from the gas they put into you during surgery. It hurts. Sometimes those gas-x strips help, walking helps, and time helps. Not sure about the pain in your calves - but hope it gets better. You will feel better each day and soon you will love your band as much as I love mine. Looking forward to following your progress. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm thinking about taking up golfing now. Thinking about it is the first step..... right? Take care. Becky

Mike, the shoulder area is the anesthesia gas working itself out. It will pass in a week or less. The calf pain is one I wanted to follow up on. The surgeons at our program are really careful about telling us to get up and keep moving around to keep the circulation in our legs in particular working well to avoid any blood clot issues. It could be something simple but nice easy stretching, easy walking to keep moving while you are recovering and you should do fine.

I hail from Columbus, Ohio, home of the "Golden Bear" Jack Nicklaus and his Memorial Tournament is awesome.

Ya shoulder is killing me, and legs are real sore. That is what I was afraid of that I was gettoing blood clots in the legs. They feel a little better today. I rubbed some Icy Hot on them to stretch them out and go walking.

Thanks for the replys.

Update: Shoulder still hurts more then anything. Legs are much better, and I can get up and down out of chairs, bed, or car with very little discomfort. Starting to get more frequesnt hunger pains, just drinking H2O as much as I can.

I was not aware of a pre-op diet, and even pigged out my last night before surgury, so my numbers I think are way off then typical. I want to lose about 100-115 lbs., and in my first 4 days have dropped 23lbs. I am sure this will definately tapper off. But definately feeiling much better then I did that day after. LOL

Update: Shoulder still hurts more then anything. Legs are much better, and I can get up and down out of chairs, bed, or car with very little discomfort. Starting to get more frequesnt hunger pains, just drinking H2O as much as I can.

I was not aware of a pre-op diet, and even pigged out my last night before surgury, so my numbers I think are way off then typical. I want to lose about 100-115 lbs., and in my first 4 days have dropped 23lbs. I am sure this will definately tapper off. But definately feeiling much better then I did that day after. LOL

I've noticed that most doctors don't require a pre-surgery diet, mine did.. womp womp

Anyway, the leg cramps are most likely from dehydriation. You might want to look into buying some sugar-free or low sugar electrolyte replacement drinks (gatorade) that will help you a lot!

Also, the shoulder pains should be gone 3-5 days after surgery. Have you noticed yourself using your arm a lot more to get up rather than you stomach muscles? They might just be sore from all of the lifting.

Good luck!! I'm getting banded on the 13th.

Freaking out - Mari:ohmy:

I've noticed that most doctors don't require a pre-surgery diet, mine did.. womp womp

Anyway, the leg cramps are most likely from dehydriation. You might want to look into buying some sugar-free or low sugar electrolyte replacement drinks (gatorade) that will help you a lot!

Also, the shoulder pains should be gone 3-5 days after surgery. Have you noticed yourself using your arm a lot more to get up rather than you stomach muscles? They might just be sore from all of the lifting.

Good luck!! I'm getting banded on the 13th.

Freaking out - Mari:ohmy:

Good luck on your band, that is my birthday.:frown:

I have been forgoing the liquid Lortab Elixer, mainly because it tastes so bad, and tuffing it out. Just wrapped up day 4, and I feel like I can actually go and swing a club, very minor pain. It is killing me to not get out and be active, just afraid I would rip a stitch or pull my port loose, if it has not healed.:)