Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't even think of a title for this thread!

So, I completed all of the pre-op testing required by my surgeon and got clearance from the nutritionist last month. June 17 was the date I completed the last of the pre-op appointments/tests. One of my requirements was to quit smoking, which I have done. EXCEPT, at the Family BBQ on the the 4th of July I caved & smoked while having a few beers and socializing w/ my cousins. Considering that the damn things are now $6.00 a pack, I did not just throw them away and finished up the pack on July 5.

SO, bright and early Monday, July 6, the physician's assistant calls to advise me that my case was discussed in the multi-disciplinary meeting and it was determined that I have met the surgeon's pre-op requirements. So, they will move forward with submitting me to the insurance company (BCBS for State of Maine employees). BUT, I have to take a nicotine urine test, and do a follow up blood test to check my Vitamin D levels, as I have been on supplements for that due to low Vitamin D. So I tried to call today to find out if submitting to the insurance company has to wait until I complete these tests or if they will go ahead and submit and that I'm good as long as I have these tests done prior to surgery. But the clinical coordinator was not in today, so I could not find out those kinds of details:angry:

I know it is was freaking stupid to smoke when I have done so well with it and am this close to surgery.:smile2: I also know from reading online that, depending on what source you look at, the by-product of nicotine takes as little as 3 days or as many as 10 days to get out of your system. I think I schedule this test myself, so I should be okay.

On top of that, over the last 2 weeks I have been stress eating, and not journaling my food intake. My husband and I are in the midst of do-it-yourself home renovations and I have an almost 17 year old daughter that is making me crazy with her really rotten choices--- life stuff, and really no excuse. I have gained a bit per my scale. So the lesson learned for me, is that I MUST write down every thing I put in my mouth otherwise I get off track and just do not pay attention. I started tracking again yesterday. From yesterday morning to this morning I was down 2lbs. So, I have until my next Nut appt on the 20th to get down to at least where I was when I met with her in June.

I know this is quite a disjointed ramble. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed and anxious with this whole process, along with other things at the moment. :) I hope I have not blown or delayed my chances to get the band.

Edited by TSB

Okay, feeling like a loser answering my own post!:thumbup: But here's my update........

They are "working on" submitting me to the insurance company for approval this week :) They say with my policy they typically don't have any issues and hear back within a week. The nicotine test is actually a blood test, not a urine test and I don't have to do that until a week or two before surgery :) So, though the lady on the phone wouldn't make any promises, when I asked she said it is POSSIBLE I could get an August surgery date :drool:

BLAH, I am a bundle of nerves! I didn't expect to feel this way:blink:

best advice? make sure you don't pick up the smokes :[ easier said than done, but absolutely necessary to get this procedure. Keep your eyes on the prize!!!

good luck :thumbup:

TSB, good luck to you. Def avoid the cigs. Why are you having to journal your food? Are they forcing you to diet while waiting for approval?

My surgeon said once I did that initial weigh-in and approved by ins, it didn't matter what my weight did, the surgery was ON. I had so many "last suppers", you have no idea. I ate like CRAZY before I started my preop diet.

For me, journaling is kin to HELL. I just can't/won't do it. Luckily the band will liberate you from that chore.

Best of luck to you! Please keep posting throughout your journey. We want to know how you're getting along.

TSB, good luck to you. Def avoid the cigs. Why are you having to journal your food? Are they forcing you to diet while waiting for approval?

My surgeon said once I did that initial weigh-in and approved by ins, it didn't matter what my weight did, the surgery was ON. I had so many "last suppers", you have no idea. I ate like CRAZY before I started my preop diet.

For me, journaling is kin to HELL. I just can't/won't do it. Luckily the band will liberate you from that chore.

Best of luck to you! Please keep posting throughout your journey. We want to know how you're getting along.

Thanks, Suzanne. One of my pre-op requirements is to lose 10% of my starting weight. This is my surgeon's requirement, not the insurance company's. The theory is that the patient demonstrate an ability to lose weight, and practice some of the post-surgery dietary requirements (like cosuming 60-80 grams of Protein per day). I meet have to meet with the nutritionist every 4 weeks or so and she reviews my food journals and checks my weight. I do so much better when I write down what I am eating, keeps me honest and accountable. It would be nice if/when I get the band for it to be "enough." But I think for awhile I should keep track of things. Once I know the insurance co has approved me, and I have a surgery date, I do plan to have a "last supper" at my favorite mexican restaurant!:tongue_smilie: