Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 8/30/05 and now have a terrible cough. Does anybody think this will harm my band, coughing so hard? I cough so much that I can't sleep at night (which is normal for me when I get a cold). I am worried that my band will slip or something? Anybody have this happen so soon after banding??

Missy

Yes, about 2 or so days after I got a terrible cough. It got to the stage that I held a pillow tightly on my stomach when I coughed because it hurt so much and I was scared of doing some harm to the band or cuts. The cough disappeared at about week 2 and no harm was done.

You body may be trying to get rid of anesthesia in your body. You should check with your doctor and pharmacist to suggest a cough suppresant.

This is my fourth week, and I am still coughing (not as hard or much) All is well with me though, just think it is the weather or something. Use a pillow. I dont think any harm cancome to the band. I used Robutussin at night only. Doc did not want me on anything, he felt the coughing was productive after the surgery. Hope this helps

Thanks for your posts, that makes me feel better. I hope my cough goes away soon. I quit smoking 2 years ago and I swear I have been sick more in these 2 years than ever before! Almost worth starting back up again! Just kidding!

Missy

Being sick from lack of cigs are due to the toxins leaving the body, it takes awhile, but it will even out. The cough should dissapear as well. Take care

At the risk of being my reliable cranky self, I wouldn't go for an online diagnosis. While I supose anyone who has posted could be right, so could this article from the medical journals which states:

INTRODUCTION: Patients are frequently referred for chronic cough. The causes are various.

CASE REPORT: We report two cases of chronic cough that occurred after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for treatment of morbid obesity. In both cases, the computed tomography scan showed an important oesophageal dilatation. The cough disappeared after the band deflation.

CONCLUSION: Oesophageal dilatation after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is a new cause to be included in the aetiology of chronic cough.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12910122&query_hl=7

Print out the abstract, take it to your doctor and ask if your cough could be band related. Reason is, if it is being caused by esophageal dilatation (widening of the esophagus) and if it is caught soon enough, an unfill seems to cure the problem and leave you with a healthy esophagus. If symptoms persist, you don't want to take chances.

Sue

Good info. Since missy4gordon just got her surgery a month ago, she wouldn't be filled already, right?

Curious to know... Hope you get better soon Missy!

ps -- do you have allergies? i get a hack from that, off and on all year...

Good info. Since missy4gordon just got her surgery a month ago, she wouldn't be filled already, right?

Curious to know... Hope you get better soon Missy!

ps -- do you have allergies? i get a hack from that, off and on all year...

Good call. She probably wouldn't be filled. Which could mean that it's not band related (probably the case)...or could mean that the band itself--even unfilled--is causing the problem and the solution is more complicated than just unfilling. But worth keeping an eye on.

Wow, I never considered it band related. (I don't have a fill yet.) I thought it was just my luck to get a cold right after surgery. It seems to be getting a little better. I have never had allergies, so I hope I am not developing them now! If it doesn't get better soon, I guess I will have to pay a visit to my doctor. Thanks for all your replies!

Missy