Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2004. I had no idea what it was until my sister was diagnosed. We both had issues with irregular periods, from the time we were teenagers. After she was diagnosed, she told me I should see a Dr about my issues because it is very likely I have it. I didn't want to listen, I didn't want to have to face the truth, or even worse find out I have even worse problems.

So after a couple years of pretending everything was ok, I decided I wanted to have a baby, and went to see a Dr. I was then diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on diet, prescribed Metformin, and was told if I lost some weight I could get pregnant. I lost 50lbs, started taking Clomid, and after trying for 3 years with no luck I gave up. Went into a deep depression, and gained all the weight I lost back.

I started to consider getting Lapband about the same time I was diagnosed with PCOS. At first it was to hopefully get pregenant, but by the time I made my mind up about it, it came down to getting healthy. If baby comes along with it, that's just a bonus. I had surgery June 5th, and I am no longer taking Metformin, and my blood surgars are good. I haven't seen a Dr about my PCOS for some time now. The Dr I had moved away, and now there is really no one in my area that knows anything about PCOS. So my next step to getting healthy is finding a Dr that can help me with the PCOS. My family Dr helps a little, but really his experience with it is limited.

Hey i read your post and was wondering what your diet consist of post-op with your pcos. I also suffer with pcos and was banded on 7/14/09. I have lost 15 lbs after surgery and feel great about that. I am currently at a stand still in my weight loss and a little frustrated. I know it's early in the process, but I have been eating less with no results, not even a pound. Any advice?

15 lbs sice surgery is great. I lost quickly right before and after surgery. My weight loss has slowed down some. I try to stick to a low carb, low fat, high protien diet. My meals are about 3/4 cups of food. I stay away from potatoes, and bread, and try to limit my sugars. I drink tons of Water, and I exercise almost every day. I noticed if I don't exercise my weight loss slows. I have very little to no restriction so right now its mostly will power to stick to the diet. If want any more info just let me know.

I will tell you there is hope for this (banding) to help. My friend had to take fertility drugs for both of her pregnancies. She was infertile at the time. When she was banded two weeks before me last year her son was 5 and she had twins that were 6 months old. After she lost a little over 40 lbs, she found out she was pregnant at Christmas. She is due next month! She was stunned at the news and definitely never expected this.

Keep us updated on how everything goes! It is hard to find a Dr. that knows a lot about PCOS. I have the same problem. And tell your friend congrats!

I too am banded to get healthy with problems associated with PCOS such as high bp. I had to take fertility drugs to have my 2 year old daughter and luckily it only took a few tries of doing the IUI procedure. I am hoping after losing weight for a year I can become pregnant again more easily!

Thanks for the post op diet tips. I am 1 week out and was wondering if my diet should be a little different.