Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Delaware Bandsters Support Groups

Hello! I know there are others from Delaware here. Is everyone shy? Does anyone know of any Lap-Band support groups in the state?

I live in Cecil County, right on the DE line and I don't know of anything around here. Is someone in DE placing them now? I had mine placed in 2002 in Baltimore.

There's a group near Newark that does banding. That's who did mine in August, but as far as I know they are the only ones in the state who do.

Guest slhollis

Hello there, Just wanted to say that I am Pre-op for the Lap Band and looking for follow bandsters to chat with.....Sharon

Hi Sharon! When is your surgery scheduled for and who's doing it? Are you getting excited yet? Do you live in Delaware?

I am planning on haviong Dr. Irgau do my banding after the first of the year sometime. I met with him in April but my insurance would not cover it. I am switching as of 1/1 so it will be covered. Did either one of you in De use him?

I had Dr. Irgau. Do you live in Delaware?

I know a lot of people come from surrounding states to CHRIAS. Dr. Irgau is wonderful and has a fantastic reputation for good outcomes with fewer than average complications. You must be so releived to be able to have your surgery covered. I was prepared to go into debt to pay out of pocket before BC/BS of DE started to cover it. I was able to buy a new car with what I would have had to pay for surgery! I'm so happy for you. It pays to be patient, huh. Val

Thanks for getting back to me. I am so glad to hear you have had a good experience with Dr. Irgau. My appt is scheduled for 1/12 so I'll be on my way. I live in Oxford, Pa but CHRIAS is not far. Have you had any setbacks? When did you have your banding? How much have you lost? Do you know of any support group meetings coming up? I'd like to attend and meet some people in this area who have had Bariatric surgery. please keep in touch. Robyn

No, I haven't had any setbacks. I had the banding done on August 26 and my first fill the end of October. So far I've lost 29lbs, but I'm sure I would lose more rapidly if I would get into an exercise routine. CHRIAS does surgery at both Christiana Medical Center and at St. Francis in Wilmington. I had mine at St. Francis because I was initially planning to pay out of pocket and would have saved a few thousand $'s there. The care there was great. The unit was new and the room was private and very roomy. St. Francis requires a one night stay in ICU but then you get to go home the next day. There wasn't much pain at all! St. Francis has monthly support meetings except for December. The next one is Tuesday, Nov.29th from 6-7pm in the Medical Office Building. I would normally try to go, but my brother is going to be in town for one day from Orlando so I need to stick around but it would be great if you could go. There are usually lots of people there in various stages of the process and they all seem really open and friendly. Do you think you might be able to make it?

Val

Hi again, Robyn! I just wanted to let you know that there is going to be a lap-band seminar Nov. 30th @6:30 PM at Christiana Care Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute @ 3506 Kennett Pike in Wilmington. I think 3 of the physicians from CHRIAS will be there and I'm planning on taking a couple of friends who also have first appointments with CHRIAS in January. Hope you can make it! Val:banana

I would love to. I will check my husband's schedule to see if he can get the kids. It may be tough since it is the last day of the month but I will see. Thanks for the info. Please keep me in mind if anything else comes up too. I am glad that you have had a good experience so far. Congrats. How much weight do you want to loose? I have about 90 or so. Take care & please keep in touch. It is so nice to know someone is out there who has already experienced what i will soon...

Hi Im from Delaware and had my surgury on August 2, 2005 and have only lost 30lbs. I have only had one fill and realy didnt feel like it woked real well for me. I have a drs apt today and need to talk to dr peters at Chrias. I guess I am one of the slow loosers. At first the weight came right off 20lbs in the first month. Now I feel I am at a stand still. I dont excirse like I should, and I know that would help. If anyone has any advise for me please help.