Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible day,had first fill or shall I say attempt

So I went to get my first fill and was nervous but excited to hopefully begin to lose more weight. My fears plus more came true. They poked me a bunch of times with the needle and still couldn't find it. They had two people try then finally got the actual surgeon to come and try and he still couldn't find it. I was pissed because I feel as though they should have done an xray prior to the first fill. Maybe I am the exception and they usually don't have difficulty, but it was not pleasant to say the least and dissapointing to have left without an actual fill. I hope this does not continue if so I may just decide to not have any fills. Please tell me I am not the only one who experienced this problem.

Your not alone I am real sorry. I had mine done in Mexico and went to have fill. After three people trying no good. Found out one side of port came loose and the needle just pushed it away. I was very bummed and decided not to get a fill for two years. I can't do it I have not lost any weight and I fell bad. I am going to mexico on 9th to have fixed and finally a fill. Hope every thing is still ok. Any find out what is going on and get a fill you did the lap band for a reason use it. I wish you lots of luck

I find it extremely scary that so called professionals such as these cannot do what they are supposed to be able to do.

Surely they should not be licensed to perform fills until they are able to do it properley first time. Its a bit like when they take blood - you expect them to be able to find the vein first time not poke you like a pincushion.

I have only had one fill , which was done by my surgeon and he found the port first time. No flouro - I just had to lift my head and shoulders ( a bit like a stomach crunch)and that was it. I thought that was how it was supposed to be - I certainly didn't think I was lucky but after reading a couple of posts on here with similar problems I now think that I must be.

I feel really sorry for you as this must have been extremely distressing. i only hope you have better luck next time - either that or find a new Dr.

Thank you so much. I am sorry to hear about your port coming loose. I hope that is not the case with me. But it was not a good experience. You are right I need to continue with the process correctly. I am debating on not getting a fill but will try again. Thanks for the support.

2009LB when they sent you away without a fill, what did they tell you? Bye come back we'll try again? or are they going to do something different?

My port is tilted but my surgeon finds it every time; as his NP says, "He put it there". I'm shocked your surgeon couldn't do it. Good grief.

That is completely unacceptable. Not only did they put you through stress/pain/discomfort, but then you had to leave without a fill??? I cannot imagine that. When I go in for my fills, it is a piece of cake--thank God the nurse practitioner really knows what he is doing. Maybe you can get follow-up care elsewhere?

That is crazy! I would've been PO'd if they sent me away without a fill. They find my port right away every time. I'm sorry you had to go through this experience.

They said they are going to do an xray next time then attempt again next week. Hopefully it will work or I will be really pissed off. Yeah I am kind of upset with their service because they are like call us if we don't call you by friday. Seriously? I totally agree about what was said above, they placed it there. They should know. This next time I am only going to let the surgeon attempt the fill, and no one else. It's like I know I got over the major part...surgery, but this is aggravating.

Edited by 2009LB

I wish you the best of luck hopefully the x-ray will do the trick. I am leaving for the airport in a few hours to get my port fixed and finally my first fill.

I think doing it the next try with an xray so they can find its exact location and orientation is the right thing. They were trying to teach our bariatric nurse coordinator how to do the fills for our program when I had my first fill and she had some initial misses when she was trying with me standing up and then they tilted me back on the table and actually found it within seconds while I was lying down. Every fill since has been totally painless in my surgeon's office, a simple pin prick type thing and over in seconds. Best wishes and don't give up. It will get better. BTW - the surgeon does all fills and the nurse was taken out of the picture at least for now.

My surgeon fills her patients herself and I had an appointment with her before the fill. She checked my incisions and also checked for the placement of the port. She had me stand up and lay down so she knew exactly where it was. I am sorry you had this problem. I think it is a good idea to make the surgeon do it and use flouro or something since they had such a problem.

I had my first fill two days ago. My surgeon does all of his fills in the radiology dept at the hospital. Even I could see the port on a screen and he had no trouble. This way there is no guessing. They have you drink some liquid and watch it go down to make sure they haven't got the band too tight. They keep adding saline until it is just right. If they get it too tight and the Fluid doesn't go down then they can take some saline out without even removing and reinserting the needle. It was really awesome. I'm sure that if your next appt is in radiology there won't be any problems. Good luck!

That is completely unacceptable. Not only did they put you through stress/pain/discomfort, but then you had to leave without a fill??? I cannot imagine that. When I go in for my fills, it is a piece of cake--thank God the nurse practitioner really knows what he is doing. Maybe you can get follow-up care elsewhere?

I was also banded by Dr Fielding. I had my first fill on Wed with Gaspar. I heard great things about him, but he really was wonderful. I hadn't a clue where the port was, as Fielding only made one incision, but Gaspar found it right away.

I'm so sorry to hear the horrible experiences some of you are having.