Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all-

I had my surgery on June 30th and am doing pretty good so far. Today I noticed that I am able to drink a complete Protein Shake and still feel hungry. I am supposed to stay on full liquids for another week, but I am not sure I can make it. I thought about eating apple sauce but it isn't on my diet for another week or so.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't have until my liquid diet moves into soft foods to help overcome the hunger?

BTW- I don't think it is head hunger, because my stomach is constantly growling.....:(

Thanks to you both. I will try some cream Soup today and see how that goes.

I wonder why I have to stay on liquids for so long, when others get to move on so quickly....it is odd how different the doctor's diet plans can be.

Hi there-

I also was banded this week, Monday, and am having a lot of trouble with hunger, but my surgeon requires 2 more weeks of liquid only, and cream Soups aren't a part of that. I don't fully understand why the protocols are so different. I'm having trouble even thinking about trying to get down any more Protein shakes, so right now I'm pretty much sustaining on ice-tea. It's great to see that everyone is doing so well, but I'm just wondering if I'll ever feel "normal" again. I think it will be great to only want a little bit, and that's what the band is supposed to help with, but I don't know if I can do another 14 days of only Protein Shakes. I know that a lot of other people have done the pure liquid for many weeks prior to their surgery, and I only had a couple of days, so I'm lucky I guess. I'm sorry to be so discouraging, I'm just wanting to not hurt, and and not be so uncomfortable all of the time. I had a meltdown yesterday when my mom made me a shake (I know she was just trying to help) and I just burst into tears because I just don't feel like "eating" anything because I'm so uncomfortable. Good luck to you all. I wish you the best.

Poppet:frown:

Hi everyone, I was banded on June 30th and I can have cream liquids Ice cream shakes. I noticed that I cant have cottage cheese for another week or so does anyone know why that is. Is anyone else wanting to kill the people that are eating right infront of u? Ugh

Hi. I know this is a hard time, BUT... it is really best to do what your doctor told you to do... not what others on here get to do. If you look hard enough, I'm sure you can find advice that someone else got that is much better than what your doctor told you to do. You don't want to advance in your eating quicker than you are supposed to. It can cause damage to your band. I remember how hard those first weeks can be - I was hungry in the recovery room. Just hang in there. You will soon be eating "real" food. You can do it. Don't risk a slipped band - you will then have to tell your doctor that you didn't follow his advice but found some "better" advice on LBT. Good luck to you and take care!! Becky

I was also banded on June 30th. Yesterday I was so hungry, I thought I was gonna cave in. So I read ahead and started some creamy foods. I haven't had a large quanity but just enough to keep me sane. My mom made me potato Soup last night. Today I had some refried Beans with my tortilla soup broth. I don't have any pain and I've listened to my stomach to see when to stop.:( I'll tell my doctor when I call in on Tuesday.

My doc explained to me that there is no "fill" when he initially does the banding. This is to allow time for the sutures to heal. Eating more than is allowed or the wrong things could cause problems with pouch size, etc. I don't know about you but I had my band Wed and "no way" do I want to have to have any type of repair or whatever. Get some sugar free lemonade "to go" packs and add to bottled Water. Sip away. I can't say I'm hungry. too sore for that.

MissBS,

You are doing good! Question. One set of papers says 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of Jello, etc. Just got my band July 1st. My stomach isn't telling me about when to stop. So, I've been keeping it to less than 1/2 cup or right at 4 ounces. Does that sound right?