Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After lapband removal, when do you feel "normal" again?

Would love to hear from people who are back to "normal" after lapband removal. Am having mine taken out only 5 weeks later for many reasons - basically I don't feel like myself at all and want my old self back! Yes, I've lost weight but I don't feel good at all! Most of these posts are people who just had theirs removed. How are those of you doing that had it done a few months (or years) ago? Thanks!

Hi there! I had mine removed because it was in my esophagus and causing major restriction. I had problems from 6 weeks on to 8 months. I felt weird at first, and then was scoped 8 weeks post op and now have a hiatus hernia. That is causing me grief now....relfux, and burning! Banding was the BIGGEST mistake of my life. I will never be normal again, no spices, no flavor to food, no enjoyment, no coffee the one thing I love most in the world!!! You have only had it for 5 weeks so I am assuming that you should be back to normal within a few weeks. Just need time for the swelling to come down. Why are you removing yours?

I also have had major restriction, and can barely swallow. Also am nauseous and have to force myself to eat. Before this procedure, I was basically healthy, although I needed to lose 80 pounds. Now I am a shell of my former self. I have major reflux symptoms (in spite of taking Prilosec and sipping Maalox throughout the day), have become extremely lactose intolerant, and I don't even recognize the person I have become!

I am praying that these symptoms will go away after the band is out, but I am worried that I will experience problems such as you are having. Yes, I miss coffee most of all!

I her ya sista!! Gaviscon is my new best friend, along with pantoloc. I don't know what to say. I am sure you will be ok. You will just have to wait for the swelling to come down after surg. Get scoped as well, and go for a GI series to make sure there is no other damage! I suffered for 8 f'n months and u know I am so sorry I ever let myslef do this...esp in Mexico. I am a nurse, I am smarter than that. Oh well, I am trying to change my negativity from this experience. Can't focus on the past.....only hope for the best in the future!

Hi there! I had mine removed because it was in my esophagus and causing major restriction. I had problems from 6 weeks on to 8 months. I felt weird at first, and then was scoped 8 weeks post op and now have a hiatus hernia. That is causing me grief now....relfux, and burning! Banding was the BIGGEST mistake of my life. I will never be normal again, no spices, no flavor to food, no enjoyment, no coffee the one thing I love most in the world!!! You have only had it for 5 weeks so I am assuming that you should be back to normal within a few weeks. Just need time for the swelling to come down. Why are you removing yours?

Get your hiatal hernia repaired (should have been done during your band removal) and the reflux will probably go away.

I her ya sista!! Gaviscon is my new best friend, along with pantoloc. I don't know what to say. I am sure you will be ok. You will just have to wait for the swelling to come down after surg. Get scoped as well, and go for a GI series to make sure there is no other damage! I suffered for 8 f'n months and u know I am so sorry I ever let myslef do this...esp in Mexico. I am a nurse, I am smarter than that. Oh well, I am trying to change my negativity from this experience. Can't focus on the past.....only hope for the best in the future!

The band sucks in the US, too. What does Mexico have to do with it? I'm a nurse too, and going to MX was the best thing I ever did. Getting a band was not one of my brighter moments but that has nothing to do with Mexico. Getting sleeved, that absolutely was one of my brightest moments. ;o)

I just hope people who are considering the band will come in here and read.

I just hope people who are considering the band will come in here and read.

i wish i had

wow ! Im considering having my band removed as well, I look like crap, feel like crap, vomit all the time, panic attacks, joint pain, Hair loss, lactose intolerant, even develolped an allergy to Crystal deodorant, I feel like Sybil , it has worked for alot of folks, but for me, my life stopped in Nov 07. Im going to get it back .

with any surgery you face risk's I just hope you all do well once the band is removed.