Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6/19/09- have questions and looking for buddies

I was banded 6/19/09. I lost about 14 pounds in the first 6 days and then I went back up 4. I am now at the end of the second week and am back down the 4. I do not feel like I have much restriction now. I will not do my first fill for a couple of weeks. I was always a drinker. (not alcoholic) Just always took in a lot of liquids. That was one of my concerns in doing the band was that I wouldn't be able to take a big drink. I decided to do it anyway because, let's be real which was more important my health or a drink of kool-aid. I am now 15 days out and I can drink as I want. I don't feel like I get a lot of restriction from food either. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. I had some green Beans 1/4 cup and 1/2 of baby potato and 1/4 cup of corn for a family dinner. I was full enough to quit eating and get up from the table but I wanted more and still felt some hunger. Is this all in my head or is it real. I know that it is way less than I would have eaten pre-op but still should I have been able to hold all of that? I have had no episodes of vomiting or sliming. Then the next day I could not eat 3 oz of tuna. Just curious and nervous I am doing something wrong. I think that my nerves stems from this being a new process and a new way of life. Feedback would be welcome.

I was banded 06-19-09 also. You don't feel restriction yet because you have not had a fill. Your stomach is initially swollen and therefore you can't get a fill right away. Since you don't have your first fill, you may feel a little restriciton but not a lot until you have a fill. I am no expert, but I would say that Beans, corn and potato are not really what you need to be eating. You would probably feel more full if you ate some good Proteins like chicken, tuna, yogurt, sugar free anything such as pudding, popsicles, etc. You are not eating enough. You should not worry too much about your weight loss until you get a fill. I have lost 17lbs so far but I go up and down some. Also, once you have your first fill, the golden rule, do not drink while you eat.

Hi There I was banded on the 25th of June 09, I lost 4 kilos before my operation and then a week after my operation I lost another 4 kilos. So in 3 weeks I have lost 8 kilos so far, which I am wrapped about, seeing my dietician last week and weighing myself gave me inspiration that I needed because the liquid thing is driving me nuts. My husband and brother and sister-in-law have already seen a difference in my face, which I couldn"t believe>sorry my keyboard is playing up>>My D.R says I need to lose about 30 kilos but I would be happier with 40 kilos. I am from Australia and I will be 37 in Oct. Good luck to you you can do it, just think of all the new pretty clothes you will be able to buy..I typed up a mantra to myself and have stuck it on my fridge and whenever I am feeling like crap I read it. It says Eileen you can do it! Think of the goal at the end! Sexier, hotter, slimmer me! etc... and I read that and think Oh yeah! I can't have puree food until the 16th of July then that is for 3 weeks then I have my first infill and then go onto solids.. God help me! Good luck and keep in touch1 :0):smile2:

Thanks everyone. Greytz the Dr. told me to eat cooked veggies if I wanted them. He also said that the only meat I could have right now was seafood (he said because of the softness issue) I was just tuna'd out. That is why I went for the veggies during the family dinner. So what I am eating was not my concern but the volume necessary to feel full. I am certain that once I can get my 1st fill and progress to lean chicken or beef that I will stay full longer. Thanks for the encouragement and tips.

I was banded the 24th. A lot of my stomach swelling is going down, because my appetite is returning! I get full much easier, but am hungry very soon after I eat -- and I AM eating a lot of protem (tuna, chicken, lean pork roast, etc...). I think it is because we haven't had our first fill yet. I am not scheduled for mine until August 10.

I am still losing -- but I don't weigh everyday -- just once a week. So I really won't know how I am doing until next Thursday.

Jslone- I was also banded June 16th! yeah!! You are going through the EXACT thing I am right now!! I have like no restriction. I mean I get full faster and am obviously eating less but I have been able to keep everything down and I have been eating really good and healthy but not too concerned with quantity. I Just eat till im satisfied, not full. I am not drinking with meals nor am I eating breads, Pasta or rice. I am able to eat chicken fine and its filling. I eat scrambled eggs a lot too, they fill me up! Hang in there, once we get our first fill we will feel different. Enjoy the "freedom" right now of being able to eat many things and drink more!

I was banded on the 18th of June. I find it interesting the difference in post surgery diets. I had some ground ham to see if I could tolerate anything solidish just this weekend. I had scrambled eggs and a bit of ground sausage this evening for dinner (made a pancake dinner for the nieces and nephews). I am really hesitant to eat too much of anything, just in case. I don't feel full pretty much ever. I don't feel sick or barfy either, which is great. I am still mostly drinking right now. I get my first fill in a couple weeks, so it will be interesting to see what a difference that makes. I drink a lot too, slowing down and still getting half a gallon a day is a challenge, so you are not alone there. I do weigh myself every day, but that is helpful to me. sugar free stuff should be used on a limited basis.

Thanks everyone. Greytz the Dr. told me to eat cooked veggies if I wanted them. He also said that the only meat I could have right now was seafood (he said because of the softness issue) I was just tuna'd out. That is why I went for the veggies during the family dinner. So what I am eating was not my concern but the volume necessary to feel full. I am certain that once I can get my 1st fill and progress to lean chicken or beef that I will stay full longer. Thanks for the encouragement and tips.

Ok. Then you would definitely want to go by what your Dr. tells you. Thats what I do. And do what works for you. That's wonderful. Good Luck and let me know how you are doing.

I was banded on 6/16 and I know what you mean by finishing your food and feeling a bit hungry. For me, I believe a lot of it was head hunger though. It still amazes me that small amount i can eat and get full. I do not get my fill for a while either. But like a bunch of the others said, in the beginning our stomachs are swollen and now that they are healing, the band is just sitting there, not really squeezing it too much. Once we have the fill, I think we will start to get that satisfied feeling. (at least i hope! LOL)

Take care!!

Cheryl:biggrin: