Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw my surgeon-good and bad

Hi everyone! I am so excited to see the first few surgeries this month have gone smoothly! Yay!

I saw my surgeon on Thursday. She was running VERY late, my appt was for 415 and I didn't leave her office until 6pm!! Yikes! Everything went really well until the end. She didn't have my labs when we talked. She said I looked 'uncomplicated' and was very happy. She went out to get my labs and came back in. My sugars were up. Fasting 133. I have a Vitamin B deficiency. She said this was because I am spilling sugar in my urine. And my liver enzymes were slightly elevated so she suspects a bit of fatty liver.

She gave me a prescription for Metformin. I took this drug about 10 years ago for PCOS and it did NOT agree with me. I stopped taking it. She wants me to take just for the week before my surgery, two pills a day. She also wants me to take my Vitamins and an extra B. I took the Metformin yesterday and well, it still doesn't agree with me. I don't know how I am going to get through work this week! Think they will set up my computer in the bathroom???

I was just so disappointed. I mean, this is why I was having this surgery, to avoid this because I knew it was coming. I am disappointed in myself that it happened anyway. I know the surgery and subsequent weight loss will take care of all these problems so that is good... but still..

On the upside though, any doubts I had about 'do I really need to do this? Maybe I could just try dieting on my own one more time?!' Those questions are completely resolved in my mind. I need this.

Oh and did any of your surgeons talk to you about what you should weigh? Mine told me that my body weighs 116 lbs. She said that is my lean muscle mass, my brain, bones etc. She said I have a nice muscle base and for me with my frame should aim for 125-130.

Really? Wait, are you talking about my weight or my IQ???

Yikes, that sounds like so little.... something to shoot for though!

Lisa:

Is there a possibility you could start your medical leave early because of the reaction you are having to the prescribed presurgical medicine? I'm sure your doctor would write you a note if you tell her about the bathroom issues.

Good luck.

Sue

Thanks Sue! I had not thought of that. Although, I am going to be out of work for 5 weeks so I have lots of loose ends to tie up this week!

headin- I am 5'2. I was thinking along the lines of 135-140 so it isn't too far off, I guess. We'll see how it goes. I think I will kind of let my body decide where it wants to be. I am just aiming to be healthy! :smile2:

Thanks Sue! I had not thought of that. Although, I am going to be out of work for 5 weeks so I have lots of loose ends to tie up this week!

headin- I am 5'2. I was thinking along the lines of 135-140 so it isn't too far off, I guess. We'll see how it goes. I think I will kind of let my body decide where it wants to be. I am just aiming to be healthy! :smile2:

I never get the weight chart stuff...for 5'7" ive been told to weight between 130-150...You kidding me? Me at 130! Ha! Honestly i'm hoping for 170 - 150 would be sweeet!

I think really it depends on you, how you feel, how you look etc...

Healthy is key! Good luck!