Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Diabetic Stomach" -- Who knew?!

Ladies, Wow. Did I get a left turn on my surgery recovery!

I was doing fine all up to and through last Saturday. I was even taking a few laps through Sams Club.

Then Sunday I started going backwards. I couldn't sit up or even stay awake for very long. And the pain in my upper belly was very bad. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst it was a -- 10!

Finally, Monday evening, my husband took me to the emergency room. I was in severe distress.

My STOMACH had filled with gas and bloated to almost 3 times its size!

YIKES! And the "anti-nausea" medicine I was taking was giving me an adverse reaction, too, making me MORE nauseous instead of FIXING the nausea!

They switched my anti-nausea from phenegren to fortran (?) I think.

Anyway, with a few days worth of morphine dosing, some more bariatric tests to be sure everything was okay, then some meds to help break down the stomach gas, I'm doing much better. The stomach is still bloated, but it's tolerable and seems to be improving.

I finally got home this afternoon.

Apparently I have what the doctors referred to as "diabetic stomach," which they either a) made up to tell me something, or :) really exists and is a SONuvaBEECH!

Apparently diabetics can sometimes have "nerve damage" in their stomachs that prevents them from creating the movement that moves gas up and out. Then add the lap band on top of that and holy cow. Ouchies! So they gave me some meds to break it up and move it out the other way. (toot toot!)

I must say, I'm feeling more human today and looking very forward to the rest of this healing!

All I gotta say now is, pheeeeeeeeeewwwweeeeeee. :tongue2:

Yes it exists and is pretty serious. It's also called "gastroparesis"...a delayed emptying of stomach contents. I'd even guess (JUST A GUESS!!!) that had they known you had it before the band, they'd have recomnmended a differed WLS.

There are drugs you can take to speed up the process and as long as your surgeon (and a gastroenterologist? endocrinologist?) are on it (it can mess with your blood sugar too) I'm sure you'll be fine. Glad you got the help you needed and are on the mend.

Yes it exists and is pretty serious. It's also called "gastroparesis"...a delayed emptying of stomach contents. I'd even guess (JUST A GUESS!!!) that had they known you had it before the band, they'd have recomnmended a differed WLS.

There are drugs you can take to speed up the process and as long as your surgeon (and a gastroenterologist? endocrinologist?) are on it (it can mess with your blood sugar too) I'm sure you'll be fine. Glad you got the help you needed and are on the mend.

Thanks!

No apparently they had no way of knowing prior to surgery. Apparently there are various nerves that control various "thingies" inside the stomach that can be affected, and since mine was not of a particularly chronic nature, it never came up! (literally and figuratively!)

But one would think, being I invented WLS and all, that I would already "know" about it? :)

LOL!

I hope that, as you control your diabetes, it will "go away". I know some neuropathies are permanent but since yours wasn't an issue, hopefully it will reverse or remit. :)

Glad to see you posting again, anyway! :)

Thanks, yes, I'm in control now. It's taken a few years of in the 200s for my doctor and I to get a solid "combination" of meds and Lantus. But it's been in control for quite some time now. I'm so hoping that I will be able to lose enough weight, and keep it off, that I can keep my glucose levels well under control, even without meds!

Thanks for the welcome back!

I am sorry you had to go through all that while trying to recover! I am glad you are back home and doing a bit better. Welcome to the "other side" LOL :)

Yikes...I appreciate your positive attitude during this difficult time. You're a trooper. I hope you continue to feel better:)

Oh My!!!! I sure do hope that doesn't happen again. I can only imagine how bad that must have hurt. I am glad you are better now... Jennifer

Hi TopTier! I was thinking about you but I hadn't seen any posts from you in awhile...now I know why. Geeez Louise gal. I sent you a PM with my email if you want to keep in touch since we are just across the river from each other! Glad things are improving for you.

Bless your heart!!! I mean really.....this is tough enough to go through normally and then to add all of that! WOW You ARE A TROOPER!!! Hopefully your meds will take care of it and you continue on this journey as normal. Good luck and keep us informed on how your doing. : )