Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight lost just on preop diet

How much weight did you lose on the preop diet only (not counting any weight you may have lost prior)? I'm a little worried that I may lose too much weight on the preop and not be able to have my surgery! My preop should start around July 14th. My surgeon recently advised me to add consistent exercise, and I've really started to lose weight. While I'm glad to be losing, I know that if I don't get my lapband, I'll just gain it back! I went from 244 to 235 in the last month; I'm aware that some of it is Water weight, but the weight loss is not slowing down. If you know of another thread that answers my question, please post where it is. Thank y'all!!!!

They won't cancel your surgery because you lost some weight on the preop diet if you already qualified for the band. Don't worry!

Hey! I was on liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery and was told I needed to lose 10-15 lbs. I only lost 8 and I was devestated!! I cried as I got weighed in the day b4 surgery cause I was scared they would cancel it. They of course didnt. They just wanted to see I made the effort and stuck to the plan they gave me. We can't control what our body is going to lose. Some of our bodies are just stubborn! I thought there was no way I only lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks on pure liquid!

I lost 10 lbs on a self imposed 1 week liquid diet. I mostly stuck to the liquid only too. I cheated once with Sushi and another time with something else. Don’t worry about not qualifying. The doctor will realize that you are losing because you are on liquids only and that it is not sustainable for more than a few weeks.

I think they do the pre-op for a few reasons.

- To just to see that you have some willpower to stick to a plan.

- To help ease you into the liquid phase that is required post op.

- To slightly reduce the size of the stomach where they will be placing the band.

- And probably the most important medical reason is the reduce the size of the liver a bit. Apparently the liver is one of the first things to shrink in early weight loss, and for this surgery the smaller your liver the better. A flap of the liver rests on top the part of the stomach that they are working on. If it is overly large, there is a risk of it tearing (repairable, but a complication they would rather avoid).

Totally agree with everyone. I lost some weight pre-op too. I think everyone pretty much does if they stick to the pre-op plan. It's ok. They want to shrink the liver down as much as possible and they have to put alot of gas in your stomach to insert the lapro tube. They just want you down as much as you can get before the surgery.

Aside from the preop diet weightloss( I have not done it yet) I am in the last month of the nutritional requirement and recently starting taking Zoloft for Anxiety issues.... I have lost 8lb! Now I think I may be Under the 40 BMI or just on the edge! The medication is not a long term solution for me. I know once I am back on track I will be hungry again and I will gain it all back most likely more since that has been my track record.

Did anyone have to do a weigh in again before surgery and get denied because they lost a significant amount of weight? I have 2-3 months from now before I will be approved. I am afraid I will lose this opportunity.

I did my pre-op diet for 3 weeks (my surgery was postponed for one week from the original date and I ended up doing a 3 instead of 2 week diet). Anyways, I lost 20 pounds.

I am just finishing day 9 of my pre op diet and im down 15 lbs. However, im on all Proteins nothing else (except liquids like Water, crystal lite) and at some point i would think a full diet with all food groups would be the norm...

Honestly, i think the best part is this does indeed prepare you for the post op diet...and instead of dealing with recovery plus the sudden elimination of all those foods we were used to to to to liquids would be tough...however, now we've dealt with the elimination of foods..and surgery/ recovery is our focus..and we continue with a limited diet at that point...

Not sure if im saying what i mean to say lol..hopefully you understand...

I would not have wanted to deal with recovery and caffiene withdrawls - now im not missing my coffee and diet cokes....so im going into this better!

Edited by bobbiezhere

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!! I guess I should have clarified that if I lose so much that I'm under 218lbs, my BMI will be less than 35. I'm at 236 right now, so I'm pretty confident that I won't be less than 218 by 7/21. Still needed a little reassurance, so thanks again!!!!