Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Fear Factor

Guest cjm

I was convinced I wanted to have the LapBand surgery until logging on to this site last night and reading so many scary stories about "feeling the band or the port" and problems with the fills (I never even thought about that!!). I'm 62 years old and am desperate to lose weight. I'm tired of being tired.

I've just begun the process - have submitted my paperwork and waiting for some word from the insurance. I got a bill from a medical records copying place, so something has been happening, though I haven't had a call from the doctor's yet saying I've been approved.

Is there someone out there who can convince me that it's all going to be OK? I need someone to hold my hand, I guess.

Awwwww cjm I'll hold your hand! Come sit by me :D

Im pre-band, Im 43 years old, my surgery date is Dec 3, 2003 I am soooo excited to

be this close to a new life. Nothing about the band, the surgery, post op care scares me. What does scare me is, the way my body feels now. My b/p is sky high, my heart hurts, my knees ache, I could go on and on! Im sick and tired of being sick and tired!

I have read so many good things about the band.

Im sure everyone here will help you with any questions you may have.

Check out all the LapBand support boards you can find. I also like spotlighthealth.com LapBand Support board & obesityhelp.com Lots of info and caring people on these boards.

Hang in there, you'll do just fine!

Bonnie

Dr Keith OKC OK

Almost a Bandie

:D

Hi CJM

Don't worry! I was banded in August and so far, things have been fine.

This is a place where people look for support and benefit from the various experience of pre and post bansters. You get the whole truth, not just the brochure. But this is good. Forwarned you should be able to recognize feelings that you have later and know how to deal with them.

When I look at my mother, who's 77 and too old for the band, and I see her leg ulcers which won't heal after 2 years, her diabetes, her kidney and heart problems, etc., etc., I know EXACTLY why I did this. After 30 years as a near professional dieter, this is the only thing that has helped me stay on track for over 3 months - and, I've lost 33 lbs!

So, don't worry, if your doctors are confident that you're a good candidate (and they will check every last little bit of you, inside, outside and upside down LOL), you can feel sure that this surgery will work for you, providing you work for it! (see lots of other posts on this site to understand my last comment!)

Anyway, I wish you well on your journey and feel sure that everything will be fine.

Take care

Sarah

I don't know which posts you're talking about, but I suspect you're reading posts from people recently banded, especially as far as the "feeling the port" issue goes. As with any appliance--braces, a dental bridge, boob implants (but I'm guessing on the last two, really)--these things take time. Then, they become part of you. I CAN tell you that this surgery was a big, fat nothing compared to a c-section and a hysterectomy.

Then, "problems with the fills." Do you mean GETTING fills? Okay, if you're doing this in country, you need to find out your doctor's idea of when a fill is necessary. It varies WIDELY. I don't consider my situation as a "problem" as much as it is an occasional source of frustration. If I want a good fill, from someone who isn't worried more about malpractice insurance than my band, I have to hop on a plane and fly to my surgeon. I knew that going in and I'm okay with it. His fees are covered, but the radiology place charges about $100. This is in Monterrey, Mexico. In the US, most surgeons include at least a few fills.

Here's my take on the fills: They are a necessary follow-up to the surgery. But the doctors make their money on the surgery. Why would any doctor want to bother with adjustments on someone else's surgery patient? In the time it takes him to do two adjustments ($300-600 in his pocket), an experienced surgeon can do the surgery ($5000 in his pocket). I know which one I'd do. And I suspect there exists a certain level of resentment that the out of country doctors do the surgery and expect US doctors to provide fills to their patients.

Only YOU can make the decision. And you need to be prepared to hear that even if your insurance DOES approve LapBand, several US doctors will not perform this surgery on people over x-years-old or over a BMI of over-whatever. At that point, your options may have to be reexamined to include going out of country and/or paying cash. But cross that bridge when you get there.

I sure know about being tired of being tired. I was barely moving and I was walking with a cane two years ago and I retired medically. I slept at least 18 hours per day. If my husband wasn't home to cook or go for take-out, I lived off of Cereal or Peanut Butter sandwiches, because I was really unable to do any more. I "desatted" (ran out of oxygen) after walking just a few yards, and we had to move because I wouldn't leave the house because I was afraid I could not get up the three steps to get back in. I've lost only about half my excess weight so far, and I am now a whole new person. A functioning person. Would I rather feel my port or feel how I used to feel? I LOVE MY BAND!

Good luck on your decision-making,

Sue

CJM, I went through a lot of freaking out about the very idea of making something that was very much not-me a permanent part of ME. Before surgery it was one of the things that kept me up at night. But bypass was just never something I would consider, because the scary stories about potential problems were so much more frightening.

And you know what? 2 months later I have not one iota of worry about this "foreign object." It's as much a part of me as my mother's artificial hip was of her, and every bit as important to my quality of life. And the band was immensely easier to have implanted!

Surgery is not easy, but as surgeries go this is pretty minor. For me recovery from the anaesthesia was the hardest part, and most people have an easier time of that than I did. I can't feel the port or the band and the fill was really surprisingly easy and quick. All of my worries were for nothing!

Hi CJM,

I'll be 60 in a few days, so would love to go through this whole experience with you! I was banded last Thursday. My only regret has been that this wasn't available when I was in my 20's or 30's. Arthritis, asthma and high blood pressure were the things that made me finally get serious about this. I told my brother about the surgery after the fact, and he was very supportive. My SIL on the other hand went ballistic. She thought this was a rash decision on my part, and why couldn't I just try another diet? It took all the "cool" I could muster to remain calm and let them know in no uncertain terms that this was the best option for me, and that one year from now they can judge for themselves if this was a good idea or not. My husband and kids have been fabulous, and they are the ones that count most.

The process is not a quick one; a lot of patience and faith are necessary but the time will come when you will be on the other side and experiencing the relief and joy that come from doing this.

:D :D :D

Guest cjm

Thanks a lot for the replies! I guess I was just focusing on those who were having problems. My husband says that for 10 people who have a problem there are 100 who don't. I'm going to hang on to that thought! (By the way, he's very supportive, and will probably have the same procedure if the doctor feels he's fit enough)

There are two women I work with who have had the RNY. They have taken me to a support group of women who have had or who will soon be having the RNY. When I told the group that I wanted the band, they ALL said I should reconsider and get the RNY. After visiting my friend and seeing the drain from her abdomen and the blue dye staining her teeth and mouth and running down her leg (don't ask!), I thought "not for me!!!"

These support groups and forums are wonderful. There is so much information out there if we're willing to look for it.

THANKS!

Guest angie

don't be scared, the port is no big deal, i was banded july 21, and have lost 70 lbs, i have so much more energy and feel great, it was the best thing i ever did

Also, you need to let your coworkers know that having WLS done is your own decision. It isn't a harmless, simple debate as choosing a red Ford truck over a red Chevrolet Truck. Which ever surgery you choose you need to make sure you are able to live with the consequences that come with being banded or having RNY. But it looks to me that you have already made a decision and I wish you the best of luck!

Nichole;)