Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating and drinking???

Hi All:

So I am finishing day three of mushies and am doing the recomended no drinking 5 mins before and 20 mins after eating. I find it to be very difficult as it's normal to be thirsty while eating. Just wondering if anyone has any special tricks for this or if some people will have a sip or two mid-meal? If I was normally trying to eat slow I would have a sip take a rest etc but now its like I'm trying to eat slow while being thirsty and then I know I have to wait a while...if anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way..thanks!

As you get restricted it will become easier. Put your beverage away and set a timer if you need to. If you stick to it, it becomes second nature. I thought it would be REALLY hard; it isn't.

In fact....my doc says to wait 15 minutes after a meal (all are different in this, as in many things) and I often go an hour or more without even thinking about it.

Hi All:

So I am finishing day three of mushies and am doing the recomended no drinking 5 mins before and 20 mins after eating. I find it to be very difficult as it's normal to be thirsty while eating. Just wondering if anyone has any special tricks for this or if some people will have a sip or two mid-meal? If I was normally trying to eat slow I would have a sip take a rest etc but now its like I'm trying to eat slow while being thirsty and then I know I have to wait a while...if anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way..thanks!

I thought this would be hard also. But really, it's not. I do miss things like a glass of cold milk when I am eating chili, but otherwise....

If we go out to eat, I just drink tons of Water right up until they bring the food. then I tell them no more please.

if I am at home, I just dont bring anything to drink to the table.

If it's not there...I am less tempted.

Also, once I got good and restricted, drinking with my food usually makes me PB.

That helped a lot...lol

I used to drink TONS with my meal, and it was hard at first to keep from doing that, but eventually it became very easy. I do drink b4 my meal arrives and take a "to go" cup of my beverage with me when I leave a restaurant. Once in a great while I may take the tiniest sip while eating, but have to wait until Im sure my last bite made it down safely.

I agree with the poster who said that drinking with her meal caused PB's.......it does in my case as well, so I avoid it and it really has become 2nd nature.

My uusband said just the other night when we were at a mexican restaurant "I can't believe you dont drink with ur meal anymore-you used to have to have 3-4 refills" He is amazed too how easy it has been for me to refrain.

Thanks for the responses! Guess it's just something I'll learn to do as time goes on...but for now as soon as I take a bite I am thirsty lol...thanks again!

Wow, I thnk it is kind of neat to see the different time limits the docs put on this. My doc says nothing to drink 30 min prior and 30 min after eating. I have seen others post that say they have to wait an hour after eating. I like the short times I have seen posted on here so far...LOL.

But in all honesty I think I used to do what everyone on here calls PBing before I got banded. If I went out to a restaurant and ate I would drink some while I ate but would drink the most after I had eaten. Well usually on my way out the door to the car up would come my food. I think the drink just overfilled my stomach and it had no where else to go but up and out. I have never done this since being banded. Granted I have only been banded for 2.5 months and I dont think I have much restriction yet, but the no drinking clause I think is what is helping with that.