Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much is Too Much?

I have been banded almost 4 months and I've lost slightly over 30 lbs since surgery. I know that is about 2 pounds a week and I should be happy, but I still feel like I can eat too much. I have had 2 fills and I now have about 5cc's in a 9cc band. I can't get another fill until the middle of July and I am just wondering if I'm doing myself harm with the amount of food I can eat. I'm also afraid that I'm going to get to 9cc's and still have this feeling (or lack there of).

For example, today for lunch I ate an entire 6-inch Subway sandwich (Turkey on wheat, no mayo). That is all I ate but I didn't feel FULL, I felt satisfied. I know that is more than a cup of food and I'm really afraid I'm stretching out my pouch.

How easy is it to stretch out my pouch? I have never PB'd nor gotten anything stuck. I am working my ass off at the gym and I'm making good choices, I just feel like I can eat too much of those things.

I am so frustrated and really really scared I'm doing long term damage. Am I over-reacting?

gabi, I'm joining this thread because I want to know the answer to your question, too. Without the proper restiriction (or in my case without any yet), doesn't the food just slip on through? My stomach feels like a seive. It feels like anything I eat is a "slider" food at this point. How can you do damage to the pouch if you're not eating BEYOND full? I know a lot of people don't know what "full" feels like, but I do, and I stop before hitting "full"--still I'm also worried about stretching my pouch--how does that happen to people?

I know that you aren't SUPPOSED to be full. You are supposed to be "satisfied". Big Difference.

If you can eat a subway you probably can use more restriction.

Pouches do stretch but not usually before you're well restricted.

Just watch your portions, chew well, and quit when satisfied, not full. See if 3/4 of the 6" subway will do you next time, for example.

Personally I can't eat "beyond" full now that I have good restriction. In fact that's my signal to stop.

I'll be eating along and burp a time or two and then realize "Ok chickie, one more bite and it's coming back!" and I stop. That's usually at about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food.

After I got the band but before I hit my sweet spot? I could eat a chick fil a and a regular fries...for example. (hate subway so can't compare there)

In fact my last fill I told the doc "I can eat a hot dog w/bun; that's too much" He agreed. Now I can eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a hot dog/bun. Much better

Watch it, hang in there, and let your surgeon know how much you can eat until "satisfied"...that can help him/her gage how much to fill you.

OH and one other thing...I can eat all the bread but usually I just do Protein and a veggie...2 oz of steak will fill me up and last, and I lose well that way. I find I'm choosing things that have more "bang for the buck" if that makes sense!

Your pouch should be fine!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I've only had one fill but I seem to be hungry after 2 hours. I'm getting 2nd fill next Thurs. I too am worried about my pouch getting out of shape. I'll watch for what others post on this one.

Until you have good restriction, there really isn't much of a pouch, so nothing much to stretch. Once the band is tightened and the "stoma" is small, then yes. You may "pouch pack" and stretch it but you have to work at it and abuse it over time. The stomach is sturdy stuff.

Thanks Restlessmonkey! I feel less stressed now! :redface:

Worry about stretching the pouch is REALLY common after we first get the band because until it's tightened most of us CAN and do eat more than 1/2 cup (or whatever). Even the ones who "diet" until they get restricted worry about it if they occasionally overeat.

ALWAYS check with your doc of course!

AND pouches CAN stretch. But it's very rare and when it happens usually the treatment is an unfill...let it rest, then start over. :redface: