Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venting! ......Long post.........

My family keeps bugging me about my weight loss. I am losing slow. I have not felt it was right for me to be exercising, until this past week, due to a back injury & both legs being numb as a result of it. So I decided to tell everyone that I quit weighing myself. I told them that the scales were not moving quick enough for me causing me to get depressed & overeat. So they all leave me alone now. It seems that people expect you to lose like an RNY patient. And when you don't, I kind of feel like they are saying, "See I told you so. You just wasted $14,000." And I have actually been told twice that I wasted my money. My sister-in-law had the RNY a little over a year ago & is a size 1 now. She looks awful (emaciated), vomits, has dumping syndrome & the list goes on. She is constantly telling me i should have had GBP. It gets my blood boiling! My little sister will not even discuss my surgery. She totally changes the subject. She is also morbidly obese. Since I have had my surgery she has decided to get pregnant. I have been married for 13.5 years & have not been able to have kids. It's all she talks about. I feel sorry for her. The green monster has her in it's grip. My G-ma (Nana) told me that jealousy was the best compliment! Anyway! Just had to get some stuff off my chest! Thanks for listening!.......Jess

(((HUGS)))

Oh Jess,

You have lost 35 pounds - which I am assuming you would not have lost, otherwise. You have been recovering from a traumatizing accident at the same time. You have done alright, all things considered.

The trick now is to determine how to deal with the people around you. Telling them you have put away the scale is good. As for the waste of $14k - you just tell them that you have a permanent tool that will never go away. You will always and forever have the choice to have more or less restriction on your eating. If you cast that out over your life expectancy and divide by the number of years that most folks live, you have invested in a FABULOUS tool for less than the cost of an annual gym membership.

If your SIL continues to tell you that ByPass is the answer (between bouts of vomiting!) you can point out the complete lack of side effects you have and that you prefer the healthier slow method.

And, at my information seminar, one of the things they specifically told us was to invest in good birth control - since after the weight starts to come off, it is amazinig how many women turn up preggers.

Now that you are feeling more comfortable with your ability to exercise, you will probably see that weight begin to come off a little faster. But, even if it stays really slow, please remember that so long as the scale keeps moving down at all, it is still a victory. So, it will take you 5 yrs to get to where you thought you would be in 1. It will be a much easier 5 yrs for you than it would be for a by-pass patient and the end result is better, because not only will you be thin, you will be HEALTHY.

Good Luck! and feel free to vent any time.

:]

Aww Jess, people really do suck. I'm sorry your family has to act like this. If it were my family I'd tell them to shut the *YOU KNOW WHAT* up and that its none of their business.

This WOE is not a race, my gosh, we didn't gain our weight over night and its not going to disapear over night either.

Your g'ma was right, they are jealous, jealous to the bone and don't let thier misery get you down. I say find some friends that will pat you for your efforts, and not condem you for them.

As far as exercise goes, do what you can, the more you lose the easier it will be to move your body. When I was over 300 lbs, and I started losing weight (years ago) I didn't exercise until I was in the 100's. I just couldn't. So I say, concentrate on your eating habbits, make small changes to your daily routine, like park the car farther away, or use the stairs, but mostly work on your diet and see if there is anything you are doing that is slowing down your weight loss, maybe you need to drop some more calories. Anyway you get the point.

Your doing great!!! keep up the good work and lets hear them say something in a year or two from now. Bet they don't :)

Hugs !!

Family can be the best & the worst. Sorry you have to go through this! You've done a GREAT job so far & will continue to lose as time goes by. So chin up- Were all proud of you here on LBT! Great Job JESS!!!!! Don't ever second guess yourself-it gets you no where.

Jess, you are doing a great job! I have people now look at me everyday and ask how much have you lost. I have only been banded 3 weeks and I tell them 19lbs. I have maintained the 19lbs since the first week I lost them. LOL. I am 317lbs 2 lbs heavier than you and I can only walk for exercise. If I do aerobics my boobs will knock me silly! LOL There is no Bra that cant control my boobs especially since my tummy acts as their trampoline! LOL I hope I made you laugh cause when family says hurtful things well..they hurt the most. these are people who are supposed to love you. Your SIL is just being witchy. She is trying to downgrade your decision because she knows she screwed up in her decision to get RNY. Your sister is getting pregnant and she is morbidly obese. I think that she is doing it for attention but she does know that only in rare cases do women lose weight while pregnant. Toting around a baby when you are already obese ain't easy. Just continue with your journey, let the HATERS do all that HATIN' and you go on bout doing your thang! Work that band!

DeeDee

Don't let anyone tell you you made the wrong decision. You felt you made the right one and you did. You will lose that weight and you will show all of them how awsome you look and feel. You consentrate on sticking to your bandster rules and less time worrying about what they think. You will get that weight off. (((HUGS)))

Thanks everyone! I have been wanting to write this post for a long time but I'm not a complainer. I know that I am very lucky to have this band! There are so many that want one & for whatever reason are unable to get one. I do love it! & yes if I didn't have it I probably would keep on gaining. I'm not second guessing my decision, I'm overjoyed that I made this decision! I just wish others would keep their negative comments to themselves! It sure would make my life easier! I love you guys! Thanks again!...Jess

Jess,

One pound at a time! One day at a time!

I was banded on 8/9/05 and I took 5 weeks off from work to recovery. I just returned to work a few days ago, and even though I have lost 26lbs.... a few of my "friends" at work have commented that I should have lost more! Not in a mean way, but in a subtle way....like, "Oh I thought that you'd have lost alot more weight that 26lbs by now! How stupid! Everybody compares the LapBand to RNY! They are completely two different procedures! Just remember....people are ignorant!

I know that I have enjoyed some success, in a small amount of time, due to the fact that I exercise daily. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. Admittedly, I have cheated with food (amounts and types), but have found a way to exercise every single day.

Jess, I know first hand that it is very difficult to exercise while being overweight! It's a task and it hurts. But it's not impossible! A 5min. walk is a start. Graduate to 10, 15, 20, 30mins. The more consistent you are....the easier it becomes. That's ofcourse, if your back is up to it. Don't aggrevate your injury.

Good Luck,

Ray

8/9/05

280/254/180

Fort Worth, Tx

1st Fill....3CC's

Yep! My back is a sore point right now. Some days are better than others. I'm going to keep trying though. I have dug out my early 90s Richard Simmons Sweatin to the oldies tapes (LOL) & I have been doing them this week. They're really fun! I just won't do them when my husband is around. Some of the stuff can be kind of corny. I am also really watching what I eat. I have been tracking what i put in my mouth on fitday.com. I really think that was a big part of why I have not lost as quickly. I was amazed at what all that food averaged out to be. So hopefully my weight loss will pick up again. I also dusted off the treadmill. I'm thinking the days I don't do aerobics, I will walk. Thanks for the advice! & by the way, you are doing great! Keep it up! Thanks!....Jess

OMG Jess, I have those RS sweatin to the oldies tapes too. I have 1, 2 and 3 lolol. I tell you this, its a fun way to get moving and yes, he is corney but he is good.

There's another set of walking tapes you can get that are pretty darn good. Its Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds. Not at "fun" as RS but they are very good and the movements are gentle on the body. I can not do any exercise with high impact because of my spine so the RS and Leslie Sansone tape are great, next year we are getting a pool so I can do some swimming which my doctor says is the best for some one with my spine and knees.

Don't ever think that walking 10 minutes a day isn't going to make a difference because it will... 10 will lead to 15 and so on.

HUGS !!!

Thanks Eileen! They are fun! And I have to admit, the exercise does work! I only exercised 2 days last week (Friday & Saturday) & I am already down 2 pounds. I have Sweatin to the oldies 1 & 3, & i have disco sweat. I think I loaned STTO 2 out & never got it back. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement! As my G-ma says, "I'll keep a pluggin!" ........Jess

Hi! Isn't fitday.com great? By using it and being honest, I have kept myself on track (for the most part...I still battle the ice cream dragon!). I think it is a good thing to lose slowly, because skin has a chance to change with you...you made your own decision, in your best interest, and that's all that matters. Just say, I appreciate your concern. Then you are polite, but aren't really saying anything or having to defend your decision! You're doing great, Cindy

Hi Jess! I don't really have anything to add to the other posts, I just wanted to say hang in there. You're doing great!! :):D

Stupid families... why can't everybody just be supportive?