Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Long story short: Banded Feb. 2004. Through bad doctoring (have since changed doctors), difficulty getting frequent fills, and inability to hit the sweet spot, I not only didn't lose weight, I gained 30 more pounds over the next 4 years.

Got fed up with trying; had fill completely taken out Jan. 2008. Ironically, weight has stabilized since then. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune illness in 2007. Stiff and sometimes painful joints; extreme fatigue, depression. One side effect of treatment -- increase in appetite.

Fill doctor talked me into trying band fills again 2 months ago. Got first fill (again) then. Did well, not hungry, lost weight for first 3 weeks, but then was able to eat nearly anything again. Appetite raging. Next fill scheduled at end of July. Same crappy scheduling again.

Rheumatologist is after me to lose weight and exercise. Weight loss almost impossible because band is not working (again). Exercise almost impossible because of obesity, joint stiffness and fatigue. I'm talking about the kind of fatigue where you do the grocery shopping for an hour and have to lie down the rest of the day.

Rheumatologist is getting fed up; he thinks I'm not trying hard enough. Band doctor is getting fed up; even with band too loose and my appetite going strong, he says I should eat tennis-ball size meals. If I could do that, I wouldn't need the band. Yet the doctor spaces my fill appts. 3 months apart. My husband is getting fed up; he thinks I can't possibly be as tired as I say and thinks I should be able to limit myself to tiny meals though band is not doing its job.

Very depressed (being treated for that, too) because of medical and weight problems as well as feeling that no one seems to understand the severity of my situation. Does anyone have a similar situation? and if so, any advice about how to proceed? I'm talking end-of-the-rope frustration here.

Thanks for listening.

parakeet

With the fills spaced that far apart it is hard on you, but you should still EVENTUALLY get to a good place with your band. Why did you remove what fill you had if it wasnt causing you problems? That has only set you back several more months. Keep going this time, you WILL get there assuming all is well.

Fatigue makes exercise hard, but exercise does eventually give you more energy, not less. I would urge you to try to do some gentle exercise every day. Now is probably not the time to really push it though, until such time as you are feeling a bit better.

If you cant get your doctor to schedule fills closer, I guess you're going to have to be patient, but I wish you luck in getting this sorted.

Why did you remove what fill you had if it wasnt causing you problems?

It was causing me problems. There was just enough fill to make eating healthy food difficult but not enough to prevent junk food (mostly sweet stuff) from getting through. My nutrition went downhill during those 4 years, which probably contributed to my illness.

Now is probably not the time to really push it though, until such time as you are feeling a bit better.

The autoimmune problem is chronic and has remained steady at the stage I described in my first post. There have been no remissions, no stretches of "feeling a bit better."

..... I wish you luck in getting this sorted.

Thanks. I appreciate your responding.

parakeet

I am so sorry you are having such a terrible time with things. Doctors can be very frustrating when you know there is something not right and they don't listen. Keep your chin up it's going to get better.

I haven't had the band placed yet, my doctor told me Monday to start replacing one meal a day with my Protein shake, I am using a 100% whey Protein, I have to tell you I've been really surprised at the fact that I can have the Protein Shake in the morning and go for four to five hours without being hungry. Perhaps if you try to supplement with a Protein Shake it may take the edge off of your hunger.

Again, I haven't had the band, do I don't know 100% that it would work, but it may be worth a try.

You can do this, have faith in yourself, feel free to message me if you just need someone to talk to.

Good luck,

Stacy

Stacy: Perhaps if you try to supplement with a Protein shake it may take the edge off of your hunger......Good luck....

I'm well stocked with Protein shakes. They help, but not significantly. I'm taking prednisone, which really ratchets the appetite up. But thank you for your suggestion and your good wishes.

parakeet

I hate to say it, because i suspect from your tone I've already pissed you off, but you will never get to a point with a lapband where you can eat healthy food but not junk. You will always reach the point where healthy food wont go down first. Cookies, chips, chocolate, ice cream, you will always be able to eat it.

Assuming all is well with your band, being able to eat those things doesnt mean you need more fill. You need a band loose enough to fill up with healthy foods and just not eat those things. No, that's not easy, everyone understands that. But everyone faces the same challenge. There's not a long term bandster here that wouldnt agree that those foods just have to be avoided by dogged determination.

However, if you're fighting an appetite fuelled by medication, that's really tough. I sure as eggs wouldnt be able to do it.

I'm sorry if my advice is offensive to you, if you're just wanting to vent then ignore it.

Edited by Jachut

is there any way you can get revision surgery to a sleeve?

With a sleeve, you have restriction without worrying about fills ever again.

Do some research on the vertical gastric sleeve, if there is any possible way to have your band taken out and get the sleeve surgery.

I'm well stocked with Protein shakes. They help, but not significantly. I'm taking prednisone, which really ratchets the appetite up. But thank you for your suggestion and your good wishes.

parakeet

OH~I totally understand!!! Prednisone turned me into an EATING MONSTER!!! My doctor had me on that to treat a foot injury and I ate EVERYTHING in sight! I gained twenty five of my hundred pounds in the two months that I was on it.

I wish you the best that's a tough situation, I hope you don't have to be on the prednisone long term.

Prednisone is HORRIBLE stuff!

So sorry you're dealing with all of this. It doesn't help that every one, besides yourself, is frustrated.

Have you been tested for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Or Fibromyalgia? My dad has both and he has a really hard time getting motivated enough to move, let alone actually MOVE! He's up and down with the depression and weight as well b/c of all the physical stuff. A lot of what you describe reminds me of my dad.

One thing I thought of when I read your post was swimming. Have you been able to try that? Is there a public pool that you can use to get in the Water and just start doing your own thing? Don't really need classes as you can do a lot of leg and are movements on your own and maybe start trying to slowly add a lap or 2.

At this point, I'm afraid you're going to just have to mind over matter your way thru this right now. The band WILL work but until you start getting to a proper fill level, it's just not going to work well for you. I'm sorry you're struggling so hard.

Have you tried sitting down with BOTH doctors, at the same time? Is that even possible? Might be an idea. They can get on the same page and you can explain why things are so hard for you right now. Put everything down on paper so you don't get off track or forget anything. If you can't get them together, sit down with each one individually, with your paper and have a serious talk. You need to have help from you doctors, not reprimands.

Take care and I hope things turn around for you soon.