Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you control your kids eating

Hey everyone it's been a long time, I stop in and lurk around and see how wonderful everyone seems to be doing. I can't believe that we are coming up on a year. It went by so fast. The weight sure didn't come off as fast as I thought it would, but I am happy with the progress that I have made.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me for helping my kids to not have food issues. My oldest daughter is 11 and she is a food sneaker, I was a huge foood sneaker, but I was always told I could not have it. Her sneaking is three instead of one or the whole box instead of a couple. She will also sneak if we are outside, everytime we come in she has wrappers from something. I am extrememly concerned, that being said, I am so afraid of harping her and have her turn out like me. She is a solid girl, heavy solid.

I have identical twin daughters who are 9. One of them eats all the time, people could never tell them apart until recently its so obvious because of the weight differance. She claims that she is truely hungry all the time. I have always felt that if kids are hungry feed them, I think I need to change that thought.

We as a family changed the way we eat, but I still bought snack packs for the girls for school and crackers and stuff for them to munch on, there is always ice cream in our freezer. I was afraid to take everything away from them, because this was really about me. I needed to loose the weight, I had food issues.

Now I got rid of all the junk and have a ton of fruits and veggies for them to snack on. They are always telling me there is noting to eat in our house........

I am at a loss.........any ideas........

Sorry this was so long.....

I don't have children but I was your children at their age because of all of the "Starving Children in Africa" so eat everything on your plate and "No you can't have that because it isn't good for you", so I became OBESE behind everyone's back.

You shouldn't deny them but educate them about nutrition and begin as simply as walking with them in the evening for cardio exercise and make it a family effort.

You can't control them as they can get anything anywhere, trust me because I did. Education is the key. Take advantage of the summer time and share activities with them so they don't think they are doing it alone.

Josephine

Oh gosh, I wish I knew. My 13 year old son is getting fatter by the day. It is killing me. I just dont know how to deal with it.

I wouldnt worry too much because neither Doug nor I ever got morbidly obese. I could comfort myself if I knew he was going to be a tubby teen and slim down a bit in adulthood like we both did and never have a really SERIOUS weight problem. But he's bigger than either of us were at his age.

The thing with him is he does like healthy food and with him, I can just not buy the junk. He will eat a LOT but he doesnt sneak it or have any real disordered eating, in fact when I see what his friends eat, he eats no more and actually eats a lot better. But, like his father, he just doesnt have the "physical" gene. He's inherently lazy, he just doesnt burn any energy, unlike most boys his age who never stop moving. He will play sport, at school and he plays basketball too, but when he's not doing that, he's absolutely inert. Whereas my skinny 11 year old is out on his bike, climbing on the roof, kicking a football or playing cricket in the street, plus his basketball, plus playing rugby at lunchtime at school etc. .....

Now Fraser wants to give up basketball - he isnt sporty, he's the worst player in his team and they carry him, he never contributes to the game, but runs around the perimeter. I dont blame him for wanting to quit, but he cant afford to lose the activity!!!

But its a miserable life trying to force an unwilling adolecent boy into an hour of physical activity every day! Its not sustainable or realistic.

I dont know, is the answer.

Beth~

I feel for you. I have two kids, 17 and 15, my daughter (oldest) definitely picked up on the food issues. She does sneak, that is something I used to do also. She and I have had candid conversations about food and the issues that lie around it. I try to make sure that there are healthy food choices in the house, but I hear the same groaning about "nothing to eat". I also try to focus on serving size - that is a huge issue.

I remember when I went to my info meeting, there was a gal that said she raised two different children. One of her kids was born before she had her surgery and the other after. She said they are very different eaters and guess which one is over weight. It is amazing what impact environment has on our children!

I try to set a good example at home for the kids. My son was heavier in middle school, but he is mister active and has definitely trimmed down since starting high school. He is always doing something and uses the weights we have at home and trys to get out and run, etc. My daughter is not voluntarily active. She does need a push, but I remember how that was as a kid - just made me go eat in secret! Argh!

During this summer the kids and I are going on a hike every Wed. My husband is at work and I thought it would be a great way to get the three of us out of the house, get some activity in and see some great sites!

I try to keep the snack foods out of the house - that is definitely one of my weaknesses. Try to offer healthy choices (which you are doing), provide opportunities to get in some exercise and give as much positive reinforcement as you can for good choices.

I don't know, I am with the rest of you on that. It is a choice that we made for ourselves, but it is also a lifestyle change that has a huge impact on our families. I am rambling now, but I am sure, Beth, that you are not the only one facing this issue. It will be interesting to see how others are handling this issue with their families.