Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Really Need to Know

Can anybody help me with this question? When we are told to eat, say, 3ounces, which type of measurement do we use? I was measuring some strawberries today, and noticed a huge discrepency. 3 ounces of strawberries measured on the scale is a LOT less than 3 ounces of strawberries measured in a measuring cup. I know this isn't an urgent question, but I really need to know because it may make a huge difference in my weight loss. Thanks to anybody who can help.

Not sure how you can measure ounces in a cup. As far as I am aware an ounce is a weight measurement so needs to be done on a scale. A cup is not a weight measurement it is a volume measurement.

So which one you use would depend on if you have been told to eat a certain weight e.g 3 oz or a volume eg 1 cup.

HTH

I had to go off line for a while. There were terrible storms rolling through. The electricity blinked on and off a few times. I am relieved we didn't lose our power. Okay, it does make sense about the scale. I remember at orientation just before surgery, the dietician showing us this little measuring cup. The kind you find on top of the lid of children's medicine. So I took some strawberries and filled it up to the ounce line. Then I tried it on the scale. Big difference...probably because the strawberries are so full of Water they just weigh heavier. But I guess I will start using my scale more. Thanks. Pam

Can anybody help me with this question? When we are told to eat, say, 3ounces, which type of measurement do we use? I was measuring some strawberries today, and noticed a huge discrepency. 3 ounces of strawberries measured on the scale is a LOT less than 3 ounces of strawberries measured in a measuring cup. I know this isn't an urgent question, but I really need to know because it may make a huge difference in my weight loss. Thanks to anybody who can help.

Go with the scale. The measuring cup is for liquid measurement.

Okay. Thank you. I appreciate you helping me out. Pam

Actually I'd check with your nutritionist, because.....lap band is about Portion Control, not calorie counting. While the other posters are correct that there is a big discrepancy in wt. vs volume...most of us are told to eat 1 cup, eat 1/2 cup etc. Weight (and the calories) aren't really an issue. If this were WW or another "diet" I'd agree that it is probably weight, but with the band? Maybe not. Ask to be sure! :)

Actually I'd check with your nutritionist, because.....lap band is about Portion Control, not calorie counting. While the other posters are correct that there is a big discrepancy in wt. vs volume...most of us are told to eat 1 cup, eat 1/2 cup etc. Weight (and the calories) aren't really an issue. If this were WW or another "diet" I'd agree that it is probably weight, but with the band? Maybe not. Ask to be sure! :blink:

Very good point.:)

I am going to call the nutritionist on Monday. I was just hoping I could find some answers here before that. My doc only wants me to have 3 ounces at a meal. So I want to make those 3 ounces count. But I read how posters say they eat a quarter cup, which I guess is measured in some sort of cup, then I read how somebody else measures on the scale, and I get so confused. When I hear from my doc on Monday, I will post here and let you know. I have to get up early tomorrow, so I am going to bed now, so good night to all. I will check back to see if anyone else has any answers. Pam

Also, I don't want to stretch my pouch. That is my big concern. I've done it before and sure don't want to do that again.

If you are wanting to measure ounces, use a scale. It's the most accurate (make sure it starts at zero - sometimes mine gets mis-aligned). Once you get used to how much foods weigh or measure with measuring cups, you won't have to use a scale or measuring cups much anymore. For instance, I might measure a liquid portion of Tomato Soup using a measuring cup. After putting the Soup in a bowl, I then know the soup comes to a certain level in that bowl so I no longer have to measure it every time. After time you will get used to smaller portions anyway and your lap band will tell you when enough is enough. Good luck!

Hi:

Another trick is to buy some very small bowls. That way your mind will see that your bowl is full and your tummy will get only a small amount.

Best wishes to you with your new band.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

3 ounces of liquid (measured in a measuring cup) does not WEIGH 3 ounces (solid, measured on a scale). They are two different things entirely.

Strawberries are solid matter, not a liquid, so you would weigh them rather than measure them in a measuring cup.

Here is what it was told. The pouch can hold a certain about of Volume weight has nothing to do with it. How much something weights isn't as inportant as how much volume it has. For example if you eat something that only weighs 2 oz but has the volume of 1/2 cup you still are going to fill up you pouch on that 2 oz because of the volume. So what i do is i messure all my meat on the scale and then veggies and everything else in cups. This is what i was told by my nutritionist but i think it is going to depend on who you ask every nutritionist is different and some people are going to get different answers.

Hello everybody. I finally got a hold of my doctor's office ( they didn't answer me til today). This is what they told me : I was to use the ounce measuring cups when I was in the mushies stage. But now that I am on solid food I am to use the scale to measure my food. I appreciate everyone giving me their input. I love you guys! Everybody have a healthy and happy 4th of July. Pam