Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Year Later Not Happy

I was banded about a year ago. I have a Realize band and have had four fills. Each time I have had a fill, I don't really notice very much restriction. I do have some, as I could never eat a steak or anything like that, but it is just not like I thought it would be. I thought I would eat a small amount of food and not be hungry. I got my 4th fill last Tuesday and I followed the follow up fill diet strictly. Lost when I was on liquids only, but the minute I start eating any kind of regular food, I quit losing. I am not overeating.

I just thought I would not be hungry after eating a small meal. This is not true. I am hungry, very hungry. I eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and then I stop. I do not drink until 30 minutes afterwards. My stomach starts growling about two hours after a meal, but I just ignore it, because I don't want to overeat.

My nutritionist just basically gave information about how to eat directly after the surgery. I am scared of something getting stuck, because it happened once and it really HURT. I think I'm eating too many slider foods and that is why I am getting hungry so fast. But then again, I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so that could be playing a part. When I'm on liquids, they are very low carb. It's hard to stay low carb on regular food when there's not a lot of food I can swallow.

I really don't know what I should try to eat that is not a slider food, because almost everything is on the list. I will not try chicken, because that is what got stuck. I chewed it well too.

I am very confused. I'm thinking I'll just stick with liquids, because I know I can lose that way.

Edited by sallen21

You can't stick with just liquids because you won't get the proper nutrition, and you will stop losing that way. You really need to talk to your doctor about this. If you and your doctor work together, the two of you can find a solution.

I have had a problem with getting chicken stuck twice....what that taught me was to slow down, chew extremly well (which I still have problems with) and small bites (again have a hard time with). I still eat it along with steak and pork. I was banded March 3rd and just had my 4th fill and finally can only eat my 4 oz and stay full for the most part between meals. I have had a hard time since it is watermelon season with eating that in the evenings for a snack (my doctor says no snack and only 3 meals 4oz each). I have tried to stay away from slider foods and stick to my meats and a vegetable but I have had Pasta a couple times. Try to stay away from the slider foods and I know it is very scary after getting something stuck and throwing up but retry eating the meats and just cut super small and chew as much as possible.

I can eat anything (thank you, Dr. Cavazos!) but I have found that if I choose more dense foods like steak or chicken breast, or part of a hot dog (with bun), burger, or something like chick fil A (can only eat about 1/3 of chick fil a...don't use mayo yucko) they keep me full for a good 6 hours. I can eat about 2 oz of steak, never weighed the chicken. Foods that are softer go through more quickly and I get hungry faster.

I too have a Realize band and I've had a number of fills. Yes, I feel restriction. I'm understanding that living with the band involves a different sense of 'full'. That part has been the biggest adjustment for me. Thankfully I'm learning.

I was banded about a year ago. I have a Realize band and have had four fills. Each time I have had a fill, I don't really notice very much restriction. I do have some, as I could never eat a steak or anything like that, but it is just not like I thought it would be. I thought I would eat a small amount of food and not be hungry. I got my 4th fill last Tuesday and I followed the follow up fill diet strictly. Lost when I was on liquids only, but the minute I start eating any kind of regular food, I quit losing. I am not overeating.

I just thought I would not be hungry after eating a small meal. This is not true. I am hungry, very hungry. I eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food and then I stop. I do not drink until 30 minutes afterwards. My stomach starts growling about two hours after a meal, but I just ignore it, because I don't want to overeat.

My nutritionist just basically gave information about how to eat directly after the surgery. I am scared of something getting stuck, because it happened once and it really HURT. I think I'm eating too many slider foods and that is why I am getting hungry so fast. But then again, I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so that could be playing a part. When I'm on liquids, they are very low carb. It's hard to stay low carb on regular food when there's not a lot of food I can swallow.

I really don't know what I should try to eat that is not a slider food, because almost everything is on the list. I will not try chicken, because that is what got stuck. I chewed it well too.

I am very confused. I'm thinking I'll just stick with liquids, because I know I can lose that way.

Darling this is not a diet - you can't live on liquids!!! What happens when you go off a diet - you go back to eating your normal foods - then wham all the weight plus some is back on.. Light Blub - our eating normal is what got us fat in the first place...

What's a typical days food for you - are you logging your food - counting caloires?? Weight loss is math for the most part - calories in vs calories out (burned) Are you exercising?

I can eat any thing (well will take that back I haven't tried a submarine sandwich or anything like that but again I really don't miss them)

Are you sticking to a low fat - limited sugar and carbs/starches??

The band imho doesn't take away our hunger - mostly because so much of what we think is hunger is really head hunger..

I can eat my dinner 4 oz meat - 1/4 c rice - 1/2 cup veggies and be physically full (pouch full) but mentally I still want to eat - and that head hunger manifest it's self in to physical hunger - but my stomach is full so I am not truly hungry - I just want to eat, mostly just cuz it taste good..

Are you eating your Protein 1st then the veggies then the starches.... Are you taking tiny bites and chewing and eating slowly - those are the things that get you stuck and make you pb - heck I have pb's on butternut squash cuz I ate it too fast.... I have learn in my 2 yrs (well almost 2 yrs) that eating slowly, taking tiny bites and chewing well is the secret to not pbing - plus not taking that last bite when you are full, just cuz it taste good cuz that's when it's going to come back up..

IMHO you can't live on 1/2 cup of food for the rest of your life - this isn't about dieting or starving yourself - it's about changing your lifestyle..

I want to eat normal portion sizes (you know those ridiclous things that say 1/2 c of ice cream is a serving size not the whole pint or quart - or that one sandwich is a serving size not 2 plus a bag of chips) and I can - I can eat a taco and some Beans and feel full - I can eat 4 oz of meat veggies & rice and be full - I can eat a salad and be full.

You have to just follow the rules and make them work for you that's what I have done - some pple eat 6 small meals

And you gotta move your butt - exercis is key imho...