Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously considering lap band--lots of questions...

I have been overweight most of my life. I remember crying in grade school about being fat and also being teased by boys. I was never obese in school, but chubby. Luckily, most the teasing stopped in junior high for whatever reason, but the weight just kept packing on....and on...and on. I'm now 5'6" and 230 lbs. My BMI is around 37. I am miserable. I have a little girl who will be 2 soon and I'm embarrassed to be in pictures with her, take her to pool, etc. I feel guilty because it's not her fault I'm fat and I'm avoiding things for her because of my insecurity.

My husband is 6 foot and 174. He can eat anything and everything he wants and stay the same weight. It's very hard to stick to a diet living with him. I did weight watchers before our wedding and had success, but of course got tired of being starving and gave up...gaining back all the weight I lost and 40 more pounds.

My story is probably similar to millions. I just don't know what to do next. Lap band seems like a reasonable option. Obestiy, diabetes, and heart disease runs in my family, and I DON'T WANT IT!!! I'm just so scared of failing and wasting money. My insurance will not cover any bariatric surgery. I've already checked. I am scheduled to go to a seminar in about 2 weeks and I'm excited.

I just really want personal stories...with the truth. The good, the bad, the ugly. I really want to be 110% informed befure I make any choice either way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance...

Also, does anyone who has had the band live with someone like my husband? How has that worked for you?

My ex was in the military and pretty much ate everything in sight... it was awful to be around especially because I was always on a diet.

I think I made an excellent choice with the lap band. I might not be losing 50 pounds in one month... but I'm comfortable, so far, with this gradual weight loss. I'm doing things I never thought I would do.... dance classes, kick boxing, taking vacations.... its improved my quality of life tremendously.

My DH is kinda like that too. He either never eats, or eats only sweets. I wasn't overweight until high school, but have been gradually getting bigger and bigger. I tried diets, and exercise but could only lose abt 25lbs and then it would stop and I would gain it back and then some. This has been such a good choice for me. I believe that this slower weight loss is helping me to change how I think about food, and helping me to change my bad habits. I know that the lapband is not always right for everyone, and I am only part way into my journey, but I really do think that it is changing my life for the better!

For the first time in my adult life I'm able to eat quality food in lower quantity and not be on any kind of a diet. I do try to make better food choices, and do so much of the time. But I still enjoy the foods that heavily contributed to my excess fat - just at a lower quantity - and not until I'd lost majority of the fat I needed to.

I highly recommend the band to people who, like me, could not control portions for an extended period of time.

But.... no matter what you do - you have to be active. You cannot sit on the couch and think that eating a calorie restricted diet with the band will melt you down to a new skinny you - it won't happen.

Good luck! Brad

OMG! Your story totaly sounds like mine!!

I havent been banded yet....sorry I couldnt help you there.

But maybe we can Help each other......

I am 5'7 and 241 lbs BMI is 37-38

diabetes, high blood preassure.......you name it my family carries it.

its scary to know that due to my obesity I could be damning MYSELF to these things, I also felt the Lapband was my BEST option. Diets? I have tried them all, and FAILED them all! :thumbdown:

I have been over weight my whole life aswell. The thinnest I have ever been was 159 back in High school, which lasted like for 3 months and that was only due to the fact that I was sick (gull bladder was removed)

Once I felt better I BALLOONED right back up..

I have a 5yr old little girl and My Husband is a Federal Agent so....

He HAS to be FIT cause his Job requires it...

He is like not too happy about dieting either, and HE WONT!

He is 5' 10 and like 200 but fit......

Hot Wings? Burgers? pizza? HELL NO!! HE WONT LEAVE THEM!!!

He had such a FIT when I asked him to even consider it for me!

I really need a change in my life, I cant be over weight anymore. My Baby Girl needs her Mommy to be active with her! It SUX to be the FAT Mom at the park...... & The fact that my husband is not as FAT as I am, makes me feel that he can stray any moment with some youngTHIN HOTTIE!

You know........... Not that weight should MATTER...But we know MEN are just like that.... (ok most of them)lol I love him, but its just Heart Breaking to know I am not living the Life I always dreamed of. I am 27 yrs old and I still have a LONG way to go.... We can still turn our lives around, even with Husbands like ours.

Anyways, I just went to the seminar on Wed. and have my first appt. on Thurs. My insurance does cover it, but OMG its jsut so MUCH HARDER to get approved!!!

I Hope this works out for Wives like us, in our situation......and like I said,

I havent been banded yet, but its nice to know I am not alone in my situation... someone out there "gets" me.........

:) Best WISHES!!

I'm not that dar out yet--2 months since surgery but so far I have no regrets. If you really want in depth experiences, I recommend reading some blogs on this site. I have kept a pretty detailed record of everything I have been through, good and bad, and have read many in depth blogs of other LBTers. There are potential complications, of course, but the complications of being morbidly obese are far greater. Also, you need to realize that this will not be a magic pill. It's a lot of work, not the easy way out. A lot of people who are banded follow other diet plans at the same time, especially Weight Watchers. Do your research, but it sounds like you're a great candidate for banding.

Yep, pretty much the same story here too!! I'm not going to lie, I am not out that far, but it has been rough mentally. I am learning to use my energy to do other things, instead of wondering what to eat next. I have lost a pretty good amount of weight for that short amount of time and am extremely happy for that!! It will take a lot of work on your end, but I am sure it will be well worth it in the end. I would take no health issues, & a longer life span over a pizza & fries any day!! LOL Seriously though, if you are ready to work hard to get healthy, it is an excellent choice!!:thumbdown:

I am 5 months post op and I don't regret a single minute of it. I'm down 56 lbs and I'm feeling great for the first time in my life!!!

Hi! Your stats are exactly the same as my pre-op stats! I am 5'6 and started at 230 as well. The band has done wonders for me -- I'm now in the low 180s, just 8 months post-op.

If your experience is like mine, you will find that the band prevents you from overeating and helps you stay on the straight & narrow. For me, it's been an incredibly great tool, and I am so glad every single day that I got it.

I've been keeping a blog since before my surgery -- feel free to check it out. Given that we are the same size, you might be interested to see the photos I put up, etc. "Lise the Loser" is another blog you might like (there is a link to it in mine) b/c she was about the same size pre-op as well.

Good luck with your decision!

Catherine

Thanks everyone! I've read some blogs which has helped. I have a couple more questions that I haven't found the answers to yet. Since I don't have insurance help, how long will the process take? Will I have the band potentially forever? Also, will I be able to eventually eat "normal" food but just in moderation or will I always be on the more mushy type foods?

PS--My daughter and I were in our little wading pool last night and I caught a glimpse of my profile in a window. I looked like I was 6 months pregnant! Ugh!

Edited by vjsmiles

I totally understand where you're coming from. I am hopefully getting banded August 11 and it took me almost 2 years to actually be 100% sure about it. The cost is a huge factor for me. I live in Winnipeg, Mb and our health care does not cover it. It's going to cost me over $16000. I'm a single mom of two and had to think long and hard if this is the right decision to spend that amount of money on myself with two little kids. The biggest issue is that I want to be around for my kids and have more energy to chase them around and enjoy every minute with them instead of being too tired and having to sit and watch play. Now, just dealing with the fear of the surgery! lol

Will I have the band potentially forever? Also, will I be able to eventually eat "normal" food but just in moderation or will I always be on the more mushy type foods?

The band is designed to remain after you achieve your goal weight, however, if necessary it can be removed.

During the main part of my ongoing fat loss, I ate mostly quality foods with very little "cheating." Now that I'm essentially at my goal weight I relaxed that more. I make good food choices most of the time but I also let myself enjoy the evil foods - just in moderation. At this point there really isn't anything I can't eat so long as I'm cautious and eat "rougher" foods later in the day.

Good luck!

Brad

Its so good to hear positive things about the band. On other blogs I have been too they are all going with the RNY. My surgery is scheduled for 8/10. I am self pay. I believe that your help, I will be able to do this !!