Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd/Third - Follow Up Fill Experiences

well i traveled to my fill doctor on tuesday for my second fill. Before the fill I could eat without getting full. what a horrable feeling! so I went in, I already had 1.5cc in and he added .75cc to bring me to 2.25cc in a 4cc band. I am still on liquids till about lunch time (but I did break down and have a yogurt last night after church, I was hungry). I just want to get to onederland before thanks giving. I have a lot of family coming in and want to show them a big healthier differance. Im sure I can get there it is only 24 more pounds!

Oh but still having a little trouble with my fills. My first fill they couldnt do becasue they thought my port was flipped over. Then I went to a differant doctor who did it under flouro and after an hour of trouble he told me my port was turned sideways. He layed me down and pushed extremely hard on my portsite to lay it down and then was able to do the fill. Well this time he imediatly had me lay down and said it was still on its side so he still had to push extremely hard to lay it down and then still had problems with the angle and bent the needle but did get it in. He recomends I have the port resutured to my stomach because he said some of the sutures that tie it to the stomach have come undone and I will continue to have problems with my fill. Im not sure if I want to go through with surgery again or put up with a more difficult fills. what would you do if you were in my situation. by the way I am self pay and would have to pay out of pocket to get it done. Look forward to your input!:w00t:

Less of me, you are doing fantastic with your WL! I would hang in there with the sideways port for awhile, but I would also start saving money because it sounds like eventually you will need to get it re-sutured. Find out from your surgeon how much that will cost -- I'm sure it's nowhere near the cost of the LB surgery. Keep your chin up. It will all work out somehow. Have faith! :w00t:

OK had fill # 6 yesterday, I am now at 6cc, but when she pulled the Fluid it was not as much as she thought I should have had so I am not sure why. She said normally with a leak it all goes out and I was missing about 1 cc so she may have miscalculated. However, I have restriction back now YEA! She put me up to 7 but at 7cc I could not keep Water down so then we backed down to 6cc. This feels like it did in the beginning so I hope it sticks for a while... At my doctors office it is hard to see the doctor because he is always in surgery so I normally see his PA, but, if this goes away again, I will be insisting on seeing him next time... fingers crossed..

Glad to hear it, OnTheWay. My doc and PA both say the measurement of the saline is inexact because it is to know when you have pulled it all up in the syringe and then how much you have actually added once it all goes back down again. So, it is easy for them to think they got a certain mg in, but be off by a little bit. Sounds like she just miscalculated. Don't worry! :w00t: Hope it doesn't happen again. :blushing:

spidey thank you for your opinion. You have such uplifting comments for so many of us.

I vote you Miss conginiality for the mayo banditos!!!!:w00t:

I think I will keep my port how it is for now...but appriciate feedback from everyone!! I hope my restriction is back after the fill but hard to tell when you are still on liquids. I guess at lunch I will know. Heres to the tool that is changing my life for the better:thumbup:

Aww, thanks, Less. :w00t:

It is hard to tell if restriction is back when you're on liquids. I'm in the same boat. Had fill #4 on Tuesday, and am just now eating lentil Soup. It's sorta starting to fill me up, but not as much as I'd like it to. We'll see what happens at dinner tonight. That will be the true test for me.

Good luck to you! :blushing:

Spidey and Less-of-me,

sometimes w/my fills it takes a week or so to really feel the difference-- my doc says it's because it takes our brain a little time to register what the fill actually does? It sounds silly, but in my case I've found it to be true.

I think you'll notice the difference w/your most recent fills soon!

Less-of-me,

I agree w/Spidey about your port issue. I would ask the doc the cost of the repair. I'm also self-pay and I know it was hard just paying for surgery. Do you have any type of guarantee? I purchased an "insurance" w/my surgery, that if anything happens and requires a 2nd surg within 2 years, it's covered by the Dr's office.

Anyhow, if not, I have read before somewhere on lapbandtalk that others have had port revisions and the surg was MUCH MUCH less than the lap band surg.

If they are able to do fills now, even though it takes a while, if it doesn't hurt too much when they have to push on the port, you might just wait. I'd imagine that you may not need too many more fills. I know it's diff w/everyone, but many people seem to have 7 or less. . . I think?

Lisa

Bevanfranks,

Thank you for your input. I agree I think I will hold off on doing any type of surgery. I can put up with it. but I know that if I need there is an option to fix it. I do not have a garentee due to the fact that I was banded in mexico. I just dont want to travel back. and if I needed my port fixed I think I might just as well have that done here! Thank you again for the feed back. Keep up the great work!

Ok, so I had my 3rd fill a month ago. I have no idea what's going on but I am the hungriest I have ever been in my whole life. I wasn't feeling that restricted right after the 3rd fill, but the hunger seems to have gotten worse. At my last fill, dr was hesitant to even give me one because I'm losing so well. So he gave me .5cc. I don't know what's gone on this last month, but I am nervous. My stomach moans and groans constantly, and I'M EATING! Seriously, I eat my fish and veggies for dinner as always, and I'm still hungry now right after I eat. And I've noticed the last 2 weeks, my weightloss has really slowed. I called the doctor today and they can't get me in until September 28th. A little over a week, but it's going to be the longest week of my life! I'm just miserable....Just had to vent.

I had my second fill and I too have no restriction. Im hungry all the time and Im fluctuating 2 pounds (i know it can be water). But I decided today that for 2 days im going to do only protine shakes. I survived preop why cant I do that now? so wish me luck!!! so far today im ok...but my hunger usually starts in the afternoon.

Carrie and Less of Me, I had the same experience with my first three fills. I would be starving after two hours! I found something called South Beach "Tide Me Over" that helped a little bit. It's a Water mix-in that adds Fiber and Protein to your water. I like the strawberry-banana flavor. It is sugar-free, 30 cals, 5 g. fiber, 3 g. protein. You can find it near all the other mix-in packets at the grocery store, Walmart, Target, etc.

However, I did just bear with a lot of hunger until my next fill. Hang in there as best you can! Good luck!!!