Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello New Here and Lots of Questions

Hi to all , I went to my LapBand Seminar last weekend and was very impressed with the Seminar. The Dr made it sound so fantastic and during the questions period he had a answere for every question. One prob Ihave is that these seminars although informitive are a sales pitch. Now after finding this site I am haveing Conflicting thoughts on going further or through with the surgery. I guess my question is even with all the life changes in eating, pain from eating the wrong thigs and other problems or lifestyle changes with the Lap band.

Are you that had the surgery happy and knowing now what you know would you go through the surgery again or choose another ttype of surgery.

Thank you for those who will post.

I most certainly would do it again in a heartbeat. Think about all the diets you have tried and failed. I know I tried many times. The worst part for me was the constant hunger. Although I still felt hungry for about 2 weeks after surgery, the cravings have gone away and so has the hunger. Once you get your fist fill you will rarely ever experience hunger again. Yes if you eat the the wrong foods, eat too fast, or don't chew your food enough you will experience some discomfort and possibly vomit. It's still worth it! There is a learning curve with the lapband. But once you obey the rules you will have few if any problems.

I had my surgery April 17th of this year and went through many different feelings about giving up food and never being able to enjoy food the same way again. This is totally normal. The band isn't a magical cure-all for being overweight. You will have to eat within the parameters of your band. You will most definately have to exercise. The whole key to loosing weight is to eat less and move more. The band will help you eat much less. You will have to change your relationship with food and eat to live not live to eat.

I am truly enjoying my lapband journey. I have lost 48 pounds in 12 weeks and feel like I've been reborn. I have so much energy and have gone down almost 3 sizes. My husband and kids are so proud and supportive of me. For the first time in a very long time I enjoy going shopping for clothes. I still enjoy going out to dinner even though I don't eat as much and most importantly I feel great about myself. I still have a long way to go to get to my goal but I know now that I will succeed because I am now thinking like a thin person.

My advice to you is to make the leap, have the surgery and become a happy, healthier person. The surgery is only about 30 minutes and the pain is very minimal. In fact, I would say it is more of a feeling of discomfort and it only lasts about a week.

Good luck to you on your journey

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

wow Donna thanks for that!

I had teh very same feelings blk had.

As i sit here 3 days preop waiting for surgery Im trying to see a life the way ive continued to live it. im not that big but my relationship with food sucks. and ive learned mostly in this liquid preop phase that this isnt going to be easy. i was stressed feeling like a failure before i even started and wanted so much to snack, and rembering i couldnt eat was like telling me I cant drive or brsh my teeth.

But just like blk worries about the changes the stuck feeligns, the comiting the not being able to eat certain things well blk.. trust me Im very muchh stillll in ur head. and trying desperatly to think the way Donna does.

but if this helps

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what youve always gotten"

here we are trying to fight this logic and say well maybe soemthing will change you cant be happy and eat bread so those are sacrifices. Trust me it hurts me to accept this, and i havnt even begun to accept it. Im hoping i learn with this process.

Dont think so much, change is hard, im still contemplating. still worried.

But i know and seen people who have been sooo very succesful. Its all around the site.

stay focused and rember what your fighitng for.

i tried to help you as i try to help myself.

Again Donna thanks.

Paula

Hi blklab. I definately could understand what your going through. I'm 41 and was just banded on 6/3/09. This was not an easy decision but one I'm glad I made so far. My surgery went a lot better than I had expected. I didn't suffer from all the gas pains they metioned, the incisions are fading fast and I feel good. I must confess though, I have given in to temptations on about 3 or 4 occassions already. I know this is not good, but its still a learning process to get through. Yes, I cheated but I have to look at the days I didn't cheat. I stuck to the dietary guidelines and did fine. You'll be better for it in the long run if you choose to have it done but just make sure that you are willing to give it a good try. You should not have any doubts when the time comes to be banded. If you do, then your not ready. Good luck

Thank you for the replys. I am even more excited for the consultation. I am fortunate my insurance will pay so that is a major relief.

I've gone through all my preop stuff & just waiting on approval from my ins co & surg date. Now that actually getting the band is pretty much a reality & happening soon, I'm feeling the anxiety of giving up my good friend, food. I'm much more anxious of dealing with the stuff I've been surpressing than I am with the actual surgery. The psychiatric consult was great & I understand the need for it now. I will continue with one on one & group therapy after the surgery. It's very stressful to know that I won't have food to depend on & must learn/practice new coping skills to be successful. But, I want to live a longer, more productive & enjoyable life. 100+ extra pounds is such an overwhelming amount of weight to lose. After so many years of trying to lose weight & continuing the yo-yo cycle of losing & gaining, I'm just done with it. Although I certainly understand that banding isn't going to be a miracle cure or an easy journey for me, it's a journey I'm willing to take for myself. I owe it to myself & deserve more than what I'm doing now. A year from now will be an whole new me. Physically, mentally, spiritually. I can't wait! Don't you think you owe it to yourself too?

I am really happy with my decision, and I love my band. I've been blogging since just before my surgery -- feel free to take a look. I recently posted up my pre-surgery pro-con list (from when I was at the point where you are now) and how I feel about the cons now. None of them were as big a deal as I thought they would be.

Best wishes for you to make the right decision for yourself!

Catherine

Just wanted to add something on the other posts --

I do still get hungry -- it's not like you lose that normal feeling -- but I get full very quickly and stay satisfied longer.

On bread -- I can't eat soft, doughy bread, but I can have toast or a crusty roll. I don't eat a lot of it, but once in a while, if I really want some, I have it.

Also, the change in eating hasn't been that bad. I still eat pretty much whatever I want. I just pay attention to what is working with the band, and I eat a whole lot less than I used to!

I really do think this was one of the best decisions I ever made. I still have 30 lbs to go, but I already feel healthier, more attractive, stronger (have been working out!) and better about myself than I have in years! This morning, on my way to the office, my doorman stopped me to say that I looked beautiful! How nice is that. :thumbup:

It feels incredible also not to spend every single day beating myself up over how my clothes fit, how fat I've gotten, etc. The small inconveniences of the band (having to chew, the occasional stuck episode, etc.) are nothing compared to finally taking charge of an issue that had been bothering me for as long as I can remember.

I hope that helps! This isn't a magic cure or anything -- you have to work with your band. But, it makes it SO MUCH easier to stay on the straight and narrow with your diet for the long-term.

Best wishes to you!

Catherine

With all due respect, I disagree that if you are having doubts you aren't ready. Of coarse you will have some doubts, totally normal. I had so many concerns when I was wheeled through the hospital to surgery. All those doubts disappeared once it was done and I knew what I had to do.

Catherine, If you are getting hungry between meals then you need a fill. You should not be hungry.

I am recently banded and I could honestly say I would do it again. Honestly the only thing I was worried about was the anesethia, I have a small child and I was putting myself "under" voluntarily! In the surgery holding room I said to my husband...I don't think I want to do this and he assured me I would be fine. The wheeled me into the surgery room and I did everything I could not to look at anything lol...but my surgeon was there waiting for me with his great smile, took my hand, and said "you will be fine" and I was...next thing I remember was waking up on recovery lol! There are some things you should have on hand...Heating Pad, a sports bra for comfort, and the magic bullet :)

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions regarding the recovery process / diet as this is all still very fresh in my mind :blink:

Catherine, If you are getting hungry between meals then you need a fill. You should not be hungry.

Just to clarify -- I'm not hungry between meals. I thought that the earlier poster's message made it sound like you never have the sensation of hunger once you get the band. That's not the case -- you still feel hungry when it's time to eat. You just get satisfied a lot faster and with much less food!

Catherine