Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who didn't tell their co-workers, friends, family, whoever they got the band, what do tell them when you PB or slime???

hmmmm my parents (bc I live with them) and my husband are the only ones I have told about my banding. I told work that I was getting a hiatled hernia reparied.

I kind of subtly set them up for me loosing some weight....I said that after I have it repaired I have to loose weight or it will come back and I also told them that they are putting me on a soft mushy special diet while my hernia heals so that I don't damage it.

I dont make a habit out of telling people things that arent true but its no ones business what I am doing and this was the only way I could think they wouldnt know

Oh gosh, I dont know how you'd explain a PB. You'd have to say you were sick.

I find pbing for me is loud and violent, I couldnt go into a bathroom and the person in the stall next to me not know that I'd just vomited. That's what's so bad about it happening in public, you cant find anywhere private to do it!

But you could explain it away as you're feeling sick and take the opportunity to go home and put your feet up.

I'm about to finish up a teaching degree and have had to eat in staffrooms with people I dont know. I've had jibes about "oh, eat something, you're skinny, you dont have to diet" because I am SO SO careful to only take really easy foods. I eat a big Breakfast over about 2 hours before I leave for the day (hard work but I get it in, fruit, Cereal, toast) and then just take a yogurt and some Soup. That's enough food to get me through till dinner if I've had the big breakie, but people think I'm dieting when I dont need to. I can actually eat sandwiches and such but I dont take ANYTHING that could possibly get stuck because I just dont know how I'd explain suddenly having to bolt and not being able to come back to the classroom (it generally takes me a long time to get rid of anything stuck).

My plan if it ever happens (I only have ONE lot of teachign rounds to go!), is to say I feel sick and go home.

Once I'm actually teaching and working with a staff I know I wouldnt make an announcement or anything but I wont hide the information. However it would be very inconvenient to be struck with the need to pb just before lunchtime ended, so I figure I'll always be very careful at work.

I told, and tell, everyone. The people I know love and support me. When I need to PB, I just get up and go to the bathroom. My PB's are not loud or violent. Just like what they are called - a productive burp. The food that I swallowed that won't go down... comes back up. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to get it all up, but then I spit, flush and go :( They are not fun... but they are no big deal for me. No one knows that I did anything except what other people do in the restroom. I do try to order things that I think will go down without problems... but as we know... sometimes our bands don't react the way we think they will. The only time I've had really unpleasant PB's were in the car... oh mercy... TMI!!!!!!!! Good luck to you. Becky

I started off not telling anyone, I kept it a secret for about 2 weeks before I found it too hard because I'm out and about a lot. I try not to eat anything that I haven't eaten before in public. EVERYONE (friends,co-workers and family)I have told about my having the op are surprisingly supportive and think its fantastic I took such a huge step towards wanting to better myself. I am glad I don't have to hide it anymore. I of course don't tell anyone if I don't have to though.

hmmmm my parents (bc I live with them) and my husband are the only ones I have told about my banding. I told work that I was getting a hiatled hernia reparied.

I kind of subtly set them up for me loosing some weight....I said that after I have it repaired I have to loose weight or it will come back and I also told them that they are putting me on a soft mushy special diet while my hernia heals so that I don't damage it.

I dont make a habit out of telling people things that arent true but its no ones business what I am doing and this was the only way I could think they wouldnt know

This is exactly what I did as well, besides telling my boss (who I am pretty close to and he has struggled with his weight all his life) so I could have an ally at work in case people started questioning me about anything. So far it works, but luckily if I have to, our bathrooms are pretty private.

can somone please explain what Pbing is? Does this happend often. I am scheduled for Aug 6 surgery and kind of getting more nervous.