Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering...

...could you guys give me examples of a regular meal 3 mths post op? I'm 6 days out and I'm doing great, but I hear this is the honeymoon phase. And I've read some blogs with people 6-8 mths post op eating stuff I ate before surgery. So I'm just wondering what you guys all survive on and what the portion size looks like. Thanks! :(

What I ate 3 months post op (when I had no restriction) was exactly what I'd eaten before the surgery, I just ate less. For example, chick Fil A? (love those suckers). I am ashamed to admit that before surgery I'd eat 2 of them and a large waffle fry (wonder how I EVER got to 405 LOL) After banding I'd eat 1 chick fil a and maybe a few of my husband's waffle fries.

Now that I am restricted and at the "sweet spot" (or what my doc calls the green zone) I could eat maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a chick fil A (bread goes down ok) and maybe 1 or 2 waffle fries, if that.

Right now I'm losing and doing a low carb thing because I feel better doing it and can stay full for HOURS on 2 oz of steak or chicken breast.

So yes I'm one who could and did eat similarly pre op and post op. Now that I'm restricted and losing I'm choosing different foods but still am not calorie counting or weighing (I did weigh my steak once just out of curiosity).

Some get restricted quickly and cut way back, some diet intentionally in the days before restriction happens, and some do like me and just let the change happen gradually. You get to do whatever works for you.

I'm glad I followed my doc's advice, though, because I still CAN eat anything (bread, untoasted, etc) I get to choose, is all. :(

The only thing I can't really have is carbonation (for me that means beer, not soda) I have had light beers (there is an ultra light that is only 64 cal) but I don't drink it like I did. Now it is a cautious undertaking, and I'm constantly doing a self-check to see if it's going down ok, is it hurting, etc. Not really worth it, IMO. But if I had to, say, give a champagne toast, I could do that without embarassment! :)

Edited by RestlessMonkey

When I was about 3 months in, I was extremely restricted at about 7cc in a 10cc band. But I liked it that way-- I didn't have acid reflux and knew that IF I could have eaten a hamburger I still would have, and my mindset hadn't changed. So instead I would have a piece of cheese or yogurt for Breakfast, usually I could manage a Protein bar, would usually eat part of a chicken salad or Soup for lunch, and I could probably eat about 2-3 oz of lean ground beef or chicken breast around dinner time. I was eating a lot of cheese at the time because it filled me up and was easy to eat for me. Stayed away from carbonation (and still have, but just because I don't like the taste of soda or beer anymore! funny how that works). Couldn't eat bread or rice at all.

About two months after that I got a little more stressed and that had an affect on my body. first I couldn't keep solids like chicken down, then i couldnt keep down soft solids like cheese, and when i couldnt keep down Soup, i went in for a complete unfill because i was uncomfortable even drinking water! during this time i had been going into the doctors office and had been getting slight unfills, hoping to solve the problem, but every time food came back up, my band just got tighter.

now, my body has healed. i am much happier at the level i am at now-- about 3cc in my 10cc band. that doesnt really give me any restriction (even when i started, my doctor inserted my band on surgery day with 5cc!) i could probably eat a hamburger or fries or something if i wanted to now, but i'm FINALLY in the right mindset and plain dont want to anymore. i am eating pretty much all whole foods (aka chicken, eggs, fruits, veggies, 100% multi grain bread, yogurt, granola) and the 3cc is just enough to take the edge off of the hunger. i never used to work out before the band but now im working out probably 5-6 days a week (i am also seeing a personal trainer now... best investment i ever made besides the band!)

i am so happy to have my band, because i know it is always there in case i get off track with my diet. in my mind, it is kind of like training wheels- i needed it to figure out the right portion sizes and what was appropriate for my body, but now i can do it on my own (though i can always go back to having "help" if i fall off). ive found im much happier at this fill level than i was two months ago, because im not getting sick all the time! in fact... i never get sick anymore! and thats the way it should be, in order for me to keep my band forever.

hope this helps. good luck to you!

Well... I'm exactly three months out so I'll go through a typical day.

Breakfast: Usually just a Protein shake or yogurt smoothie... something w/at least 10g Protein. I am not a big Breakfast person and I find that I'm a little too tight to really eat anything solid before 10-11am anyway.

Lunch: Yesterday I had a home-made chicken quesadilla w/ chicken, cheese, peppers and home-made salsa. I made the tortilla pretty crispy just in case but had no trouble with it. I didn't eat much of it, as I got full pretty quickly.

Dinner: Yesterday I had 3-4ish oz of steak (I don't measure), about a half cup of steamed snow peas and a mini twix for dessert.

I'm not one that thinks of this as a diet. Diets never worked for me, and they wouldn't work for me now. I would just obsess over having a certain food item that would be "prohibited" by the diet and then just break down and eat it.

For me, the key is moderation, which is exactly what my band helps me do. I have only found a few things that I can't tolerate, and I do stay away from those. I used to binge eat to the point of being incredibly uncomfortable. Now I eat until I'm full, which is thankfully a lot sooner than pre-band. My weight loss is steady and I feel a lot healthier.

I still do eat breads and carbs but they're pretty limited. Not because I can't get them down, but because I really just don't crave them that often. I also find that my food choices are healthier, mostly because I have limited room in my stomach, and I want to use it as best as I can. Also because now that I actually chew properly, things taste different. I have NO idea how I used to eat french fries, they taste horrible to me now. Chew one 20 times and you may agree!

I eat a lot of the same things I did prior to surgery, just a lot less. For example, I went out to lunch today and had a slice of pizza and couldn't finish it. But before surgery, I'd eat 3 slices, sometimes 4. And I made sure I had pizza with chicken on it - so it would have the Protein I need.

I do usually try to make healthier choices, but when it comes down to it, I don't tell myself that I can't have anything (unless it doesn't agree at all, then I don't bother). If I tell myself I can't have something, I want it even more.

As for portion size, that depends. I usually try to keep everything around a cup of food. That's what my doctor recommends at least, so I stay in that zone.

Right now, I don't have much restriction at all. Some days I have problems with some things (chicken that's too dry is a big one), but overall, it's not too bad. We'll see how that is after my 2nd fill, which is in a month.

I'm 6 weeks out and basically eating the same thing as before - With the exception that I now eat breakfast lol. Like yesterday this was my diet

B - 2 egg omlette with cheese

L - Piece of fish,crumbed - Not sure what size because I don't measure, I just go on how full I am as to whether I need/want to eat more which I probably shouldn't do - Didn't have any vegies with it either which was kinda stupid.

D - chicken roll roast thing lol - Basically like 3/4 cup of chicken with some vegies.