Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Restriction Explanation

Can someone who feel restriction please tell me what it is like. Is it that you get full faster or stay full longer? How do you really know if you reached good restriction or are feeling it? I feel like I can eat the same things I could always eat and just as much of them... I spend A LOT of time worrying about my band slipping or stretching my pouch... how does everyone coupe with these concerns? :smile2:

I used to worry about the same things...stretching my pouch, overeating, etc. If you still feel the same and there doesn't feel like much restriction is happening, you probably don't have that good of restriction yet. It looks like you just had your surgery in February? It took me a while to get good restriction, too. For me, restricition varies. But usually it just feels like I am full (only on a whole lot less food than before!) With certain foods it can almost feel like the esophagus is too small for the food to go down, if that makes any sense.Just keep following the "Lap Band Rules" and you won't stretch your pouch. Plus, call your doctor's office and see what they have to say. Good luck! Pam

Can someone who feel restriction please tell me what it is like. Is it that you get full faster or stay full longer? How do you really know if you reached good restriction or are feeling it? I feel like I can eat the same things I could always eat and just as much of them... I spend A LOT of time worrying about my band slipping or stretching my pouch... how does everyone coupe with these concerns? :(

You would know if you had good restriction or not. Good restriction means you stay full longer and you get full faster. It is hard to describe...but I will try.

For me, when I am "full" I am right on the edge of feeling uncomfortable. I am not in pain, but I know if I take one more bite I will probably pb. I cannot eat as much as I could before...not even by a long shot. I am not as restricted as some are (I can still occassionaly have a small piece of bread), but I cannot finish a pork chop, or chicken breast....you will know.

It took me 3 fills to feel anything.

As for slipping or stretching my pouch, I dont worry to much about that. I follow the rules...except when I take the bite that pushes me over the edge of full...

My experience is much like "Makulafamy" in that I get a feeling of "ok one more bite will be over the top" and this happens amazingly soon. I have good restriction but can eat anything, that was my doc's goal (and mine) I didn't want the band to be punitive or to restrict me. I want to be in control. The band just helps with portions. I ate 2 oz of rib eye steak last night and was done. Full. For over 6 hours. There are some softer foods I can eat more of, and i do occasionally. Largely though I prefer to just eat steak or chicken, something that fills me up and keeps me full so that I don't think about food for hours.

We're all different (I'm sure you hear that a lot but it's true! For example I CAN eat bread but I am at the sweet spot; some can't) but you will know.

And as to slipping/erosion...if you are following your docs orders you're most likely ok. My doc told me cheating on the post op diet (eating too soon) is a major cause of slippage. Erosion, I don't think they know.

YOU will know if something like that goes wrong though, as you learn to listen to and understand your new stomach configuration. Just trust in the process, check with your doc if you have an odd pain or other concerns, and hang in there!