Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a very difficult time,

I was banded Oct. 21, 2003. Was very discouraged at first but then started to feel better and was perking up. On what started out to be my best day I ended up at the emergency room then admitted to the hospital. I was having such severe pain and vomiting I wanted to die. Just came home from the hospital still not feeling great. Have spent a lot time crying and the rest of the time wanting to. I keep thinking what have I done to myself? If there is anyone out there who had a rough start but now feels good could you please give me some encouragement and hope.

Hey Mello_one, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a rough go! Did you find out at the hospital what exactly was causing your pain? At this point you're still on liquids, I'd guess. Did you get any explanation and instructions?

I don't know what to say except please take care of yourself. Healing from surgery is evidently something that happens differently for everyone, but one thing is common to all of us. It's very easy to overdo it before your body is ready. Don't be afraid to sit still for a while!

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I predict you'll feel 100% better in a couple of days.

Good luck!! :D

Was the hospital you were in band-savy? Did they do fluoro on you to be sure the band was in place and all was well?

This is unusual, so I am very worried for you. As long as your band doctor is well aware of what is going on and has checked you out, that is the most important thing. If not, your band doctor ABSOLUTELY MUST KNOW about what you are going through.

If you continue to feel ill please do not hesitate to seek medical care. Accidents during surgery can happen, like a perforation of the stomach. Rare, but it does happen. Just do not ignore severe pain, and certainly not vomiting.

Please keep us posted, and I hope you are back to 100% soon!

Mello_One,

First, are you talking "vomit," as in when we have the flu? Or are you talking about being unable to deal with your own saliva or more than a teensy sip of Water? These are very different things, and which one you're going through would make a big difference.

Besides all the very wise posts already here, I was wondering...have you had a general anesthesia before? I ask because, for some people, it can take quite a while for the demons that anesthesia brings on to exit the body.

And then there's the whole healing thing, too. Our daughter had breast reduction surgery this summer. Three weeks post-op was her absolute worst week. She wasn't in so much pain; she was just miserable. Everything was wrong. And besides that, nothing was right. And she really just needed to whine and keep telling us that--although she was back to work and wasn't in any severe pain--she sure was not her old self and that was just not okay.

Don't think I'm dismissing your recent misery! Just remember to factor in the post-op blahs.

Keep us posted,

Sue

hey mello one,

the first thing i said when i woke up from surgery was 'i feel like crying' the anesthesia dedfinitaly messes with your emotional state- and i completely thought what have i done to myself!!!! when i came off my pain meds i was in just as bad of pain as the first day i had surgery. i didnt realize all the pain the meds were taking away.

what did they say at the er? if your dr doesnt know like donali said he needs/must know. please keep us posted on how your doing/feeling you know that we will all understand- you will be in my thoughts.

when i ask people about the pain from childbirth i often hear 'it is the easiest pain to forget' the surgery was like that for me. i was pretty miserable (emotional and SORE not to mention gassy) but now looking back it's a faint memory and it was only 2 months ago!

I don't have anything new to add, but second donali's advice. Please let us know more: What did the hospital think was wrong with you? What did they do for you? What did your band surgeon say? We are concerned.

Nancy

I just returned from the hospital today. It turned out that I had a bowel obstruction. No one can figure out how or why but went back to the hospital for a re section and and am now sore and grouchy all over again but I am on the mend. My Dr. states he does not know how or why it happened all the Drs. I spoke to at the hospital tell me it just does not happen. My Dr. stated I was just very unlucky. I hope I did not scare or worry anybody who has not had surgery yet. Somehow my bowel got stuck to the port site, tore and went through itself. My Dr. is very expererienced with the lap band. He did four the day he did mine and states he has never had this happen. I am already feeling better just going through post op stuff again. Thanks to all of you for your concern, support and advice!

i dont think i understood all of what happened to you mello one but i did understand that you are on the mend! so that is great.

i am sure you didnt scare anyone into not having surgery! everyone should know all the risks involved!

well i am so glad your home safely! enjoy your Soup and GET YOUR REST!!! you will especially need it after your ordeal!

:knockedou take your pain meds like a good girl!

I am so glad you pursued this, and that you are on the mend.

What a terrible thing to have happen!

I'll take this as another reminder that severe pain and vomiting are NOT normal, and even if the cause is beyond anyone's experience, even the dr.'s, it is imperative to pursue a course of action until the problem is resolved.

I'm sure you are aware that there would have been dire consequences if the cause of your pain had not been diagnosed and corrected - an obstructed/perforated bowel is a critical condition.

Again, I am so grateful you are okay - please keep us posted!

:D