Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am very new to this....I have not told anyone (including husband) that I have been lap banded...told him I was in for hernia. So I have been relying on forums for info and advice. Have never actually posted before but I am having problems which I am not sure are normal. For a start have had over 4 fills and can still eat lots when it comes to things like biscuits, popcorn chips etc. However having real problems with healthy food such as vegetables, fruit and meat even though I chew very throughly. I dont think another fill is the answer as I can even feel Water stop as it goes down. Why is it that foods such as biscuits so easily get through and the good healthy stuff doesnt. I have started to just eat the things that are easy as I hate the vomiting and the tightness in the chest that I get with the healthy stuff. As a result and certainly it will come as no surprise I have not lost much weight at all. (Band done in March - weight lost 14 pds most of it in the liquid part of the diet)

Any comments gratefully received

cheers

meikobobo:confused:

Hi:

You should be able to eat most vegetables and meats. The key is to eat tiny bites and chew them like crazy. I had issues with eating too fast when I first started solid foods. I had to buy myself a one minute timer to slow me down.

You've committed by having a surgery that can assist you in loosing your excess weight. Now it is time for your head to get into the game by making the right choices, weather it be food or exercise.

Unfortunately chips and popcorn go down easy for most bandsters. Try to make some healthier, low calorie choices. If your choice is popcorn please choose the lower calorie popcorn.

I hope that slowing down and eating smaller bites and chewing like crazy will allow you to eat most foods and get the band advantage - small meals = weightloss.

Best wishes to you. I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Dear Sue

Tks so much for reply...I thought I had damaged my band because I could still eat these things and not others I will follow your advice...and buy that timer. I think I may be eating too fast.

Tks again

M:smile2:

Eating too fast is a common problem with many people who have weight issues to begin with.

It's a hard habit to break. Extremely.

For people without bands it causes problems because there is a "time delay" in our bodies from when our stomach actually gets "full" to when the signals hit our brain and tell us to put down that fork.

So, as a result, it was very easy to "over eat," and that dinner portion became our "normal" size portion.

If people with the band eat too quickly they will run into a physical barrier. It's hard to shove repeated large bites through an opening smaller than a dime.

So aside from changing years of not-so-great food choices, we also have to change years of the way we physically consumed our food.< /p>

Gonna be a challenge, but it can be done!

tks for advice I thought that with the surgery i would feel full but still not finding that is happening at all. I am going to concentrate on slowing down

Biscuits (I'm assuming you mean Cookies in "American"), chips and sweets are unfortunately what we call slider foods - they go down easily. If you are finding yourself turning to those because the good-for-you foods are causing you to vomit or have pain (assuming you are taking small bites and chewing well), you very well may need a slight unfill of your band. It is the hard Proteins, Fiber and good carbs that will help make you not hungry. It is very common to see people gain weight, not because their band is too loose, but because it is too tight. They start to concentrate on eating the easy, high-calorie sliders foods.

So, if you continue to have problems with the right foods, even after being careful to take tiny bites and chew well, please see your doctor to talk about having some Fluid removed from your band.

tks I hadnt thought about that. I had assumed that because I was able to eat bulky things like crackers and popcorn the band was not tight enough and urged my doctor to keep filling. I have another appt in 2 weeks and will ask for a reduction

I'd hazard a guess that you actually need Fluid OUT. Its the biggest disadvantage of the band I think - it needs to be loose enough to allow you to eat properly but that means it will let a lot more through if you choose bad foods. You just have to not choose them.

Really, if a band is used properly, the most that can be said for it is that you can stick to a diet without being starving hungry. Unfortunately the hard work of fighting what your head wants to eat is down to YOU. No matter which way you cut it, you have to do the work.

When used like that, you shouldnt have the problems with pain upon eating healthy foods. You also have to take bites about a thousand times smaller than you imagine and chew about a thousand times more.

Do all that and if all is well, you will enjoy a nice steady 1 to 2 lb loss per week.

And Misty, yes biscuits is "cookies" but packet ones, small and hard, not huge soft Mrs Fields type things.

dear Jachut

This banding experience is an amazing thing. I really thought (I think like everyone else who hasnt been banded) that it would be an easy way out. In someways it does make it easier but in others it is really very hard. I have always enjoyed (too much) healthy foods however with the banding I am finding that I cant eat them (no matter how chewed) and had started frying things because the oil helped things go down easier and they didnt come back up. Also eating things like chocolate and icecream not really my favourite when I really wanted a proper meal but was getting so tired of all the throwing up. So while not gaining because of all the throwing up I was getting worried I would die from a stroke because of the frying. My stop gap measure until I get to the doctor is to go back on Optifast (at least its healthy) and I have bought a juicer so I can juice my vegetables and fruit.< /p>

let you know how it goes and again many thanks for your help

I have problems with dry foods such as meat and wheat bread so I focus on the healthy low-calorie foods I don't have trouble with such as cottage cheese and soft, cooked veggies or Soups. Salads work great for me too. You cannot eat biscuits and expect to loose weight. I'm sorry if I come across as judgemental but how can you keep this from your husband??? My husband is my biggest fan and supporter as well as my best friend and confidant.

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09

too true ... I hadnt thought about cottage chesse will get some soon. Raw vegetables and salads are problem foods for me.

tks 4 advice:smile: