Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for your experiences

Hi, I a 53 yr old woman with type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis in both knees (need both knees replaced). I have an appt. on July 15 for a seminar on Lapband surgery. It is something I have been thinking about doing for a long time, but insurance would never pay for it. Now I have coverage, and really want to go forward with it. I would like to what kind of experiences people who have had the surgery have gone through, good or bad. Thank You.

Hi Bonnie. All I can do is tell you that I love my band. Some people have not had as good experience as I've had. There's a lot of posts to read on this site, and we're pretty good about posting the good, the bad, and the ugly associated with the gastric band. Good luck with your research!

Hi Bonnie - I had given up dieting and just decided I was me and that was it, however, I have had several deaths in my family that were diabetis related. I have always been happy and active, have a great husband and family and so I was not too worried about it all. I am not diabetic yet, but I do have pretty severe osteoarthritis of the knee and am looking at a total knee replacement and decided it was time.

I researched for quite a while, talked with those that had both good and bad experiences and then talked to my PCP. He actually recommended my particular surgeon as the one he would go to if he needed surgery so I went and decided to go forward. Not knowing your specifics and if you have ever had surgery, this procedure was pretty easy for me, I am 4 weeks out, down 26 lbs and waiting for my first fill. I have had to work at it, I have always been able to lose weight, but keeping it off is another story. Allready I can feel amazing improvement in my knees and energy level.

My advise is to check all your options and talk to people you trust and you will make the right decision for you. There are lots of options now and diffferent ones are best for each person so you and your doctor will decide what is best for you. If you decide to do the band I wish you luck, and know if I can do it you can.

I love my band, too. I think it is a wonder, a miracle. It gives ME control, finally. I don't have to grit my teeth and hold onto that diet mentality. I am just.... me. I eat less, is all. I don't have to avoid any food (except carbonation, which i guess strictly speaking isn't a food)

I was your age when I had my surgery. I recovered very fast, little pain, have done well. I wouldn't give up my band for anything

Having lap band surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself. It gave me the motivation to stick with it for the long haul. The band helps you to eat less by making you less hungry it's the diet without the starvation. I exercise daily and eat right and have more energy then I know what to do with. Good luck to you!

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09

First fill 5/30/09 1.6 cc

It is one of the best things that I have done for myself. Many of the issues that I had, sleep Apena, High Blood Pressure have all gone away. I still have sleep apena but I do not have to use the machine and/or dental device. However I still use it once or twice a week. I do feel a lot better and able to do a lot more things than I have before. One thing I will say and you will notice on here is that everyone is differant on how much, fast etc. they loose the weight and keep it off. This is for you and your self and no one else. I can say that my New Years resoulation that I have been able to keep for the last 2 years and that was to loose weight and keep it off. I think a lot of people can atest to that. If you have any questions or need help with a letter just ask. I have some examples that you can use.

Chris

Good luck with making your choice about having surgery.

Make sure that you look at ALL your options, including ALL the different types of surgeries. Investigate your surgeon carefully, and talk to a LOT of different doctors.

Take your TIME in deciding which route to take.

It will be worth it!

Oh, and don't listen to Plain....he's one of them secessionists down thar in Texusss......:thumbup::biggrin::thumbup:

HH

(j/k)

Texas, Oh Texas, all hail the mighty state!........(native here, a pure bred LOL)

Hi, I am 52 years old, also diabetic, hypertensive, have sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, as well as a breast cancer survivor of two years. I had lap=band surgery two weeks ago on June 11 because I am soooooo tired of all the paid an exhaustion from all these conditions, and needed to do something to improve the quality of my life. So far, I have not had any negative experinces with the band and am looking forward to the journey to better health!:thumbdown:

Bonnie:

I am just a touch younger than you. I have to warn you that having this surgery could cause a problem - you might feel 20 years younger after you loose the weight! Not a problem for me now, but it's a possibility.

I love my band and my new flat tummy! I started at 324 and I'm in the 180's now. I have more energy than I ever thought I could have.

I think it's very important to make sure that you choose a surgeon with great aftercare. I think it can be critical to a lap band patient's success. So, please be careful in selecting the right surgeon/medical group. Because the band will be part of you for the rest of your life you'll have a relationship with your band doctor for a very long time, so pick one that is committed to providing band aftercare.

Best wishes to you.

Sue