Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Testing Complete

10.31.2003 - Completed my Pre-Op Testing yesterday. I am good to go. Norton's Hospital in Downtown Louisville was pretty efficent on doing the tests. I had to do blood work, Chest X-Ray and an EKG. Only 2 weeks from Monday on Nov. 17th until my surgery date. For some strange reason I have been eating lately like it is going out of style. I do not know if it is the fact my body knows what is getting ready to happen or I am just trying to enjoy some foods I know I will no longer be able to eat. Hopefully, once the LapBand is in place I will not desire the same foods as before.:D

Wade Beasley

377/377/210

Dr. Cacchione

Louisville, KY

Hi Wade

Good luck on your surgery I will be having surgery on the 18th of Nov. and I also have been eating like its going out of style.

I have not done my pre-op tests yet but I hope all go well.

Angelina

I have read all about the "last supper syndrome" and I am convinced that is what I am doing as well. I tell myself that after the band I won't be able to eat it but I know after reading all the posts on here that with the exception of post op there shouldn't be too much that we can't eat. I know it's all in my head and I just have to over come that. Believe me I know what you are going though. I will be banded on November 25th and haven't gone through the pre-op tests yet but will see the dietician on the 10th and the pre-op test on the 14th. Congratualtions to all of us getting banded in November!!!:banana

Originally posted by wadeb

10.31.2003...m Hopefully, once the LapBand is in place I will not desire the same foods as before.:D

Wade Beasley

377/377/210

Dr. Cacchione

Louisville, KY

Wade,

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but--once the healing process is over--you will most likely want EXACTLY the same foods you want right now. That's why people often wryly comment that "this is abdominal surgery, NOT brain surgery."

Before you have surgery, make sure you are clear on this. You will be physically restricted from eating the portions you are eating now. But if you are anywhere near as crazy as I am, you will be in a battle with yourself over stupid things, such a "just one more bite," and wanting to eat more, even though you absolutely know that if you eat another bite you will make yourself sick.

About "wanting" foods...I'm half Italian and half Mexican and, since banding, cannot eat Pasta, or tortillas, or masa (the stuff between the corn husk and the filling in a tamale). Trust me, I still want those foods--and more--and I've been banded a year.

Good luck and ENJOY those meals!

Sue

Hi Wade,

Last-supper syndrome is well-known to all of us. Don't feel bad. The thing to remember is that post-banding you WILL be able to eat anything you want, just like before. Once you've healed from surgery and before your first fill, you might even be able to eat a similar quantity. There's no reason to eat like it's your last meal, since it won't be necessary to *completely* give up anything.

It's still hard to get your brain to realize that, I know. But do try--you don't want to pack on more weight before surgery.

Good luck with your surgery...you're almost there!! :D

I was the same way pre-op. I gained five pounds between my consult and surgery because I was "saying goodbye" to the foods I loved.

However, as it turns out, I AM still able to eat just about everything I liked to eat before...despite a fair amount of

restriction (2 ccs). I wish I hadn't gained that weight pre-op, because it'd be that much less that I'd have to lose now! :D

I can eat bread, rice, and Pasta - just not in the same quantities as before. For example, now when I make a sandwich, I fold over ONE slice of bread rather than eating two slices like I used to.

Yes, it is sometimes tempting to keep eating even though I've had enough. However, I think the band DOES help somewhat in resisting that urge. I realize now that there were many times pre-op when I was shoveling food in without really tasting it. Now that I have to pay attention to what I'm eating, I savor the tastes more, and it's easier to stop when I realize I'm not enjoying the taste anymore.

Don't worry. I'm sure you will do fine. :D