Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi ppl!!

Guest noinoi26

Guest noinoi26

Hi ppl!

I'm Eunice here from the other side of the world, Singapore! Anyone from Singapore here?

Chance upon this forum while doing a search on lap banding.

A short intro of myself, 23 yrs old,chinese student and currently still deciding on whether i wana be banded.

I have been overweight since i was young,tried all ways and means to slim down but no success thats y lap banding is one of the option i'm considering to help me slim down. But i'm concerned abt the pain and the after care.

As a asian, my diet consist mainly of white rice everyday.does that mean that after banding, i wont b able to eat rice anymore?

Is it very painful after the operation?i had all my tests done and my doctor has already gave me the go ahead for the operation but yet i still am not too sure whether i'm i making the rite desicion.Cant talk to anyone here as i cant seem to find anyone who is willing to share there experiences with me.I'm actually quite scared as this is the 1st major operation i might have. Will the scars recover fully?

Hope that you kind ppl may help me here.would really appreciate it!

thks!

ok for me personally rice is a HUGE no-it doesnt break down or something-just piles up and becomes a barrier for everything and next thing I know I got a pian and Im coughing it back up-not fun not pleasant-RICE IS EVIL!!!

Oh hi welcome glad to meet ya!lol

ooops-as for surgery-for me it wasnt painful-was easy breezy-its a quick in and out procedure-I had more pain and trouble getting my teeth cleaned before.Now few days after I did have the shoulder pain but all told its no big deal.Hope you all the best

The surgery was easy for me too. I didn't take anything stronger for pain than Tylenol. As for rice, I have not ever had a problem eating rice. bread is the only thing I cannot tolerate. Well, I have problems with potatoes too. Good luck to you!

Guest noinoi26

Hi Jessiebear and Alatina!

Thks for all ur advises. I just saw my doctor yesterday and got my op date. Its set on nov 8. i'm really neavous abt it, not sure if i'm making the right choice. Sure need all the support that i can get. Really glad i found this forum. thks!

Welcome to LBT, Eunice!!

I can do rice if it's a small bite and has some type of gravy or sauce with it. If you are very tight, rice can be a big no-no. But everyone is different. Everyone's restriction is different, so you really won't know until you get there, and it will likely change with time.

Please read alot on this board. It helped me alot to be prepared for post-surgery and for banded life after the healing stage. No question is too dumb so ask away. Folks are happy to share. Congrats on your date! Good for you!!

How much weight are you wanting to lose? We are here to support, just ask for what you need!!!!

Guest noinoi26

Welcome to LBT, Eunice!!

I can do rice if it's a small bite and has some type of gravy or sauce with it. If you are very tight, rice can be a big no-no. But everyone is different. Everyone's restriction is different, so you really won't know until you get there, and it will likely change with time.

Please read alot on this board. It helped me alot to be prepared for post-surgery and for banded life after the healing stage. No question is too dumb so ask away. Folks are happy to share. Congrats on your date! Good for you!!

How much weight are you wanting to lose? We are here to support, just ask for what you need!!!!

Hi thks ur advise!

well its gona be very hard for me to cut down on rice as i have it everyday but in order to slim down i think i its a worth while sacrifice!

I'm 1.70m and weighing abt 98kg. Hope to be able to slim down to 55kg.been carrying all this extra weight all my life so i really want t0 take control and slim down. Hopefully the lap-band will be a wise choice for me.

I'm more concern abt the pain and scars as this is my 1st time having a surgery. but now i realised that its the afterwards that is more important.

wat if the band dosent works and will i have a hard time adjusting to my new life?

Welcome to LBT! Congrats on your surgery date. There is a lot of information here for just reading. If you have a certain subject, just do a search on it. Of course there is a lot of great support here just for taking too! :D:D:D

Welcome Eunice. Like everyone has said, this site is a great source of information. The more you read the better prepared you will be.

Everyone here is willing to share and answer questions. Good luck in your jouney. Celeste

Hey Eunice! The surgical pain is different for everyone but from what I have seen "most" of us don't have a lot of pain after surgery. And if you do have pain it usually only lasts for a few days. Scars, like pain, are different for everyone. How have you healed in the past when you had a scrape or cut? I used a triple antibiotic ointment on all of my incisions, but used it more on one of them because it was more irritated, and I barely have a scar there at all. Hope this helps!

Hello Eunice! ni hau ma?

Laparoscopic Band is a simple surgery with speedy recovery.

as about rice, i know Chinese people eating rice instead of bread,

me personally i can't tolerate it, i can't also torerate bread, Pasta, and steaks.

not big deal i think! you have wonderul cuisine in Singapore!

some very yummy sweet-and-sour veggies for example..i think you wont

miss the rice after band