Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have osteoporosis?

It came as no surprise to me today that my most recent bone density test showed that I had osteoporosis because two years ago I had osteopenia. Mostly this is due to my breast cancer meds which are anti-estrogen and hard on the bones. My weight loss hasn't helped either.

Has anyone gone on Boniva, Fosomax or Actenol? And if so, are the pills hard to tolerate with the band? I don't have very tight restriction and haven't had any problems with pills.

I just joined a gym and started weight bearing exercises to add to my aerobic exercising. Hope that will help.

Thanks.

It came as no surprise to me today that my most recent bone density test showed that I had osteoporosis because two years ago I had osteopenia. Mostly this is due to my breast cancer meds which are anti-estrogen and hard on the bones. My weight loss hasn't helped either.

Has anyone gone on Boniva, Fosomax or Actenol? And if so, are the pills hard to tolerate with the band? I don't have very tight restriction and haven't had any problems with pills.< /p>

I just joined a gym and started weight bearing exercises to add to my aerobic exercising. Hope that will help.

Thanks.

I can't give you any information from post-banding, but I had osteopenia for several years and was on Fosamax for about 5 years. Bone density exams were showing a real improvement, and on the advice of a rheumatologist and my family physician I discontinued the Fosamax about 3 years ago. My condition has remained the same (tested again last spring) - but you bring up a good point, I should probably have the testing done again since losing almost half the weight I want to lose. I can't speak for Actonel or Boniva, but the Fosamax pills are small and I believe they have a once-a-month dosage now (mine was once-a-week). Since the side effects are primarily gastric or esophageal in nature, I would definitely push both your surgeon and your primary care physician for information about your risk in taking this medication. Meanwhile, be sure you are getting 1500 mg. of Calcium AND Vitamin D. I am no longer drinking milk regularly because of liquid calories, but I do have cheese and cottage cheese - and my 1500 mg of Calcium and Vitamin D3.

There is a recent study done on WLS patients which shows an abnormally high rate of fractures in the years post surgery. I received an email about this in a newsletter announcement from bariatricadvantage.com. It is a mayo Clinic study, and it is significant. Be proactive about this situation. My mother developed osteoporosis at a time when there was no effective treatment or preventive (she was a 50-year smoker). The last years of her life were spent in severe pain every day, and a cough or sneeze could cause another fracture. Believe me, this is not something you want to play around with.

Good luck to you - and please post about your progress.

I can't give you any information from post-banding, but I had osteopenia for several years and was on Fosamax for about 5 years. Bone density exams were showing a real improvement, and on the advice of a rheumatologist and my family physician I discontinued the Fosamax about 3 years ago. My condition has remained the same (tested again last spring) - but you bring up a good point, I should probably have the testing done again since losing almost half the weight I want to lose. I can't speak for Actonel or Boniva, but the Fosamax pills are small and I believe they have a once-a-month dosage now (mine was once-a-week). Since the side effects are primarily gastric or esophageal in nature, I would definitely push both your surgeon and your primary care physician for information about your risk in taking this medication. Meanwhile, be sure you are getting 1500 mg. of Calcium AND Vitamin D. I am no longer drinking milk regularly because of liquid calories, but I do have cheese and cottage cheese - and my 1500 mg of calcium and Vitamin D3.

There is a recent study done on WLS patients which shows an abnormally high rate of fractures in the years post surgery. I received an email about this in a newsletter announcement from bariatricadvantage.com. It is a mayo Clinic study, and it is significant. Be proactive about this situation. My mother developed osteoporosis at a time when there was no effective treatment or preventive (she was a 50-year smoker). The last years of her life were spent in severe pain every day, and a cough or sneeze could cause another fracture. Believe me, this is not something you want to play around with.

Good luck to you - and please post about your progress.

Thank you, JoannMarie, for a very thoughtful and informative reply. Trust me when I tell you that I am a very proactive patient. My doctors will confirm this. I have results of every medical test I have had in the last 10 years. I carry with me at all times a list of all my meds and OTC drugs, medical conditions, allergies, surgeries, etc.. That never fails to impress the doctors. :biggrin: I research everything. Breast cancer patients tend to do that anyway.

My oncologist is coming back Tuesday and I will discuss with him options, including the IV form of these drugs. I don't have any problems with taking pills but I will find out the side effects and my oncologist is very good and changing meds if something doesn't work.

I have found out, as we all do, that taking meds for one problem often creates another. The femara for my breast cancer is the cause of my osteoporosis. I do take calcium and extra vitamin D3 on my own. I have never been a milk drinker. I hate cheese. So, I am concientious about getting calcium in supplements.

What was the reason for discontinuing Fosamax? Did you develop problems with it or did it adversly affect an existing condition? Good luck to you.

Thank you again for your reply.

Actually, I had such good results from Fosamax my doctors both believed it was not necessary for me to take it anymore. The rheumatologist has had many patients who responded well, built up new bone tissue to the point where they were no longer at risk, and the risk of adverse events outweighed the risk of osteoporosis. I continue to monitor my progress with bone density exams every two years - and I'm due for one this summer. Thanks for the reminder to set that up soon - I will call the doc this week and schedule. Since losing close to 50 pounds, I have concerns that my status may have changed, so the test is doubly important.

Your medical record approach is really comprehensive! I'm impressed! I agree any cancer survivor needs to be esp proactive - but it would not hurt any of us to do what you are doing. Good luck with this bone issue - there are several alternatives out there now, and one of them will be right for you.

Hi:

Two friends of mine used to take Fosomax, but had to stop. Both of them had bad acid reflux from it. One of them had it so severe that she had bleeding ulcers, and now she had a bone infection in her mouth. These can be side effects from Fosomax. Neither of them are banded, but I just wanted to let you know that it can be a tough drug on the stomach. Best wishes to you.

Sue

Hi:

Two friends of mine used to take Fosomax, but had to stop. Both of them had bad acid reflux from it. One of them had it so severe that she had bleeding ulcers, and now she had a bone infection in her mouth. These can be side effects from Fosomax. Neither of them are banded, but I just wanted to let you know that it can be a tough drug on the stomach. Best wishes to you.

Sue

That's why I am going to discuss the IV infusion of the drug that is done once a year, I think. Thanks for the information.