Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underweight to qualify and close to giving up

Guest dardar24

I am 10lbs underweight to qualify. When I found this out a month ago, I chose to actually try to gain the ten pounds for my first of 6 doctor weigh-ins (for insurance). It doesn't seem like something that should be hard to do, considering how heavy I already am. However, a month later, I still haven't gained it. The clock is ticking. I don't want this to take longer than it needs to.

Here's my question: Should I just give up and try to do it the old fashioned way since I don't meet the requirements? Abstaining from the gym and eating what I wanted for the past month has only made me feel worse about myself. What do yall think? Did anyone else have to gain weight to qualify?

10lbs is alot in clothes, shoes, and pockets full of coins.

I had to gain 6 pounds and did...no regrets. It took a few months though.

I am 10lbs underweight to qualify. When I found this out a month ago, I chose to actually try to gain the ten pounds for my first of 6 doctor weigh-ins (for insurance). It doesn't seem like something that should be hard to do, considering how heavy I already am. However, a month later, I still haven't gained it. The clock is ticking. I don't want this to take longer than it needs to.

Here's my question: Should I just give up and try to do it the old fashioned way since I don't meet the requirements? Abstaining from the gym and eating what I wanted for the past month has only made me feel worse about myself. What do yall think? Did anyone else have to gain weight to qualify?

Make sure they have done a correct height check on you. You may be shorter than you think and this will affect your BMI. No one ever measured my height before surgery and I just got it checked (by another doctor for another reason) and being 58, I shrank over an inch. So, that would be the first place to start.

Over what period of time is your 6 weigh ins? 6 months? You should be able to gain 10 pounds in 6 months. If you just stopped going to the gym, your metabolism might still be high. Give it some time.

There have been others who were just a little short of the weight they needed to be to qualify and there were many suggestions, the rolls of coins being one of them. Good luck.

In order for my insurance to cover me, I had to have a bmi of 50. I didn't have a bmi of 50 so I had to gain some weight in order for insurance to cover. I did and I'm so glad that I did because I feel, so far, that this is the best thing that I've ever done!

Buy 2 5-lb ankle weights. . . . wear long pants. . ..

My insureance required me to have documentation for the last 3 years that I was at 35 BMI or over with at least 1 comormid disease. So make sure your not required to do that before you gain 10 pounds!

Leg weights...that is a cool idea, lol. I think you will make the requirements, just hang in there.