Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB, vomit or just pain?

Well I saw the poll on another post that asks how often people PB/vomit. And I guess it happens quite often. I have thrown up twice since being banded, the first time I was sick the second time I guess I couldn't tolerate rice. However usually when I overeat I just get really bad pain for 15 minutes as I wait for it to make its way down. Anyone just get pain and uncomfortable instead of PB/vomiting?

Maybe I'm not at a sweet spot and I can just eat a lot more and maybe that's why I don't (though it's good, since I know vomiting with band is bad). But am I the only one who doesn't have to eat slow? I usually eat my meal at the same speed I always did, takes about 5-15 minutes. Or am I just not full enough?

Most of the time, depending on what I am eating of course, I can eat fairly normally. I can't take huge bites and I have to chew a little more than pre-band (but then again, I inhaled my food back then) but for the most part I don't have to chew forever to liquify the food in tiny amounts like I was lead to believe I would. The exception is when I am eating tougher meats and veggies or when I am tighter after a good fill. In general, overeating just leads to the uncomfortable feeling, not throwing up (which as far as overeating goes, I think usually happens when you keep eating past full.)

Edited by Jodi_620

PB does not equal vomiting. There is a huge difference, but most people don't realize that and think they are the same thing. When you vomit, your stomach contracts and forces out the contents of your stomach .... including chewed up food and stomach acids. That's bad for your port because the contractions can move your band. A PB is more of a gag reflex and pushes out food stuck in your esophagus. It's usually just the bite of food, fully chewed, that you just swallowed. Since that doesn't have to pass through your band, it's not the issue that vomiting is. I had PB'd twice since surgery .... once when I just ate too fast (because I'd waited far too long to eat and was so starving I just sort of shoveled it in) and the other time involved soft bread that just didn't want to go anywhere and finally came back.

THEN I caught a terrible summer cold. There was so much mucus! I blew and blew my nose but there was a lot of post-nasal drip. Suddenly, every meal (even liquids) I got stuck alot and PB'd several times Now that the cold is over, I'm doing pretty good again. My doctor's office confirmed that the thick mucus that comes with any respiratory infection can cause multiple stuck (and PBs too). So watch out for infections!

Well I guess. It just seems then that I've never PB'd before. I am going in Monday for another fill, though I hope it's only a small one because I do have really good restriction as it is. It just seems weird that with good restriction I have never PB'd though I can still eat bread, rice, etc. I just stay away from it. But I still have the ability to eat it. Finding the sweet spot, and knowing what good restriction is is soooo hard to understand/know/get to. Because our doctors never really tell us what it exactly is like, because they've never been there! ugh. lol

Like you i've only pb'd twice since my surgery. Both were from chicken and not taking the time to chew it properly. When I get full I get that really uncomfortable feeling you're talking about. I also get that if I eat too fast.

I normally pb if I allow myself to get too hungry before eating, which leads to me trying to eat way too fast.

I haven't PB'd either. I once had a little bit of Water I gulped come back up right after I was filled. Other than that ...zilch. I still can eat pretty much like I could before the band. Sometimes, I think it might just be because my band is not very tight, so I'm trying to train myself to go slower. Now, I have had chest pain/discomfort if I take too big a bite. PB'ing can cause problems with the band despite what other people say. It is not the way the band was intended to work. I really find it strange when people are ok doing that on a daily basis.

well I agree with you. And I wouldn't want to PB daily. I only get that chest pain maybe twice a week at most and that's enough for me. I just feel like maybe those people are tighter than I am and they seem to be losing faster than I am so...it's just so weird figuring out how I SHOULD be eating with the band because my doc is a lil warped lol. He's a big bypass guy so everytime I go in he seems angry I'm losing slow and does really agressive fills. And once I told him that I was eatting too much still and he's like...well you should be measuring everything out...I'm like...uh no. I didn't get this so I could be a freak eater and carry around measuring cups with me. I listen to my body and stop when I'm full which I never did before and that's why I'm thankful for the band...Urg that turned into a rant.

*LOL* I totally understand. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing terribly with the band, like I haven't lost nearly enough. However, my doctor's office always tells me I'm doing great. I think I have "bypass envy." I just want to be thin fast even when the rational, sane me knows that's not the sensible way to go about things. BTW, it looks like you're doing great to me! I think we all tend to be way too hard on ourselves.

I was banded last August. I pb a couple times but it quickly passed. i threw up 4 times but that was because of soft bread and too much after a tight fill. it was quick and when i did i felt sooo much better. i try to eat slow but it iss hard to break that habit. lost 84 lbs and feel great. very happy with my decision..