Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice--I feel guilty!

I am feeling very guilty over what I had for lunch today and I need to know if I am just being a worry-wort! I had a baked potato with butter and sour cream and I tolerated most of it pretty well. I stopped when I felt like I was full and I didn't drink anything with it. I think my problem is that it was a "baked potato" and I associate that with "bad and fattening foods". So should I feel guilty for eating it or should I just get on with the rest of my work day and forget about it?!

I had mashed potatos with extra "Fake" butter on them on day5. I think you will be fine. Right now is about healing, not weight loss. So relax and savor the baked potato, I also ate wendy's chili prueed for several meals with cheese and sour cream on it. I have lost 32 pounds in just 7 weeks. ~Mandy

You just get on with your work-day and don't worry about it. All food is good, it is Portion Control that is the important thing. So what if you had a little fat with it, your body needs a little fat. As long as your band tolerated the startch, you're good.

Eating only a baked potato for lunch is a good thing in my opinion. I'm sure pre-band you would have had a burger, soda and dessert with that. I know I would have.

You're doing great... Don't worry.

Karen

Kathy, are you 1 week out from surgery? You are probably just being allowed to have mushies. You are letting your body heal. Your band is 'on vacation' until you get a fill. I lived on cheese Soup and potatoes when I healed. This is a life time committment and changing process.

If you were 3 months out from surgery, my question would be - did you get your Protein in today? and some vegetables. then carbs are okay.

Don't worry. just heal. Celeste

Kathy....One of the most wonderful things about having the band is there are really no foods that are that bad for you because it'sl all about Portion Control. Don't get me wrong, there are foods you know you should stay away from but in general, most foods are fine as long as you consider the amount. I'm 3 1/2 months out and I try to make healthy choices but sometimes I don't but I don't fret any more cause I can only eat such small amounts even of the so-called bad foods. Now quit beating yourself up and get back to work! LOL

Life is too short to feel bad about one bad choice..and a choice of food at that!

Hon, you are one week out from surgery. I'd be more worried about that. This time isn't about weight loss, it's about healing! Take it slooooow please!!!

wow-dont think you should be having that 1 week out from surgery and even when can I think you might want to say no to sour cream for sure-eeks.

I think its healthiest to get that good foods and bad foods mentality right out of your head myself. My goal in this is to eat like a normal person, not live on a restrictive diet for the rest of my life. Portion Control is very important.

"Normal" people eat baked potatoes with butter and sour cream but they dont eat 3 of them in a sitting and they dont eat them for every meal. I wouldnt even give it another thought. Eating something like that and stopping when I'm full will be a huge victory in my mind because now I think "this is bad, I shouldnt be eating it, oh well I've blown it might as well enjoy the rest of the day" and proceed to really do the damage when the potato alone wouldnt have mattered.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Like many others said, you're still in the healing stage. If you're allowed mushies at this point, it should be fine :D If you're not allowed mushies yet, no harm done, but I'd stick to doctor's orders from here on out...

There's a baked potato bar down the road from the office and about once a month, on a cold and rainy day, I indulge myself for lunch there. I usually eat a bit of a tin of tuna first, just to make sure I have my Protein in. Doesn't leave much room for the tater, but these days, just a few bites of something I'm craving does wonders :)

My brother has lost over 100 lbs without a band and I can tell you he has eaten a baked potato every single day since June! Not a Bad food, it is what you smother it with that makes it bad, my brother uses fat free sour cream and the "Ican't Beleive it's not butter" spray, it has zero calories and tastes like butter