Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you getting to 1000/1200 cals a day?

Maybe I'm not doing this right...lol,but today I had three solid meals. They were each right at or under 4 oz. each,BUT they only total to around 584 calories and I'm only at 44 grams of protien. Should my meals be bigger? should I add a meal? Do you all add a protien shake when you are shy on protien?

I start my day with a Protein Shake that has 35 grams of Protein and 170 calories (WorldWide Protein from Trader Joes) to ensure I get enough protein. From what I've read, I think you should try to get at least 1000 calories daily so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Oddly enough, eating that few of calories (500) may stop your weight loss. You definitely need to get the minimum protein required by your doctor or dietitian to avoid complications due to protein deficiencies (i.e. thinning hair along with more serious issues). To increase your protein and calories while keeping your hunger at bay, it's recommended to find healthy, solid, protein-rich foods as opposed to the Protein Shakes that do not remain in the upper pouch and do not satisfy your hunger as well as solid food. I get my first fill tomorrow, so I'm sure I will be challenged to eat enough healthy, protein-rich calories once I feel more restriction.

My doc doesn't limit me to 1/2 cup at each meal. He said if I am still hungry, eat a little more. I have to learn to listen to my body, which is quite challenging, but it is working out. Sometimes I eat a cup, sometimes (but rarely) I eat only 1/4 cup. My body knows what it needs. :)

The other thing is, I often will add unflavored Protein powder to Soups, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. to boast my Protein intake. You can get very good unflavored protein from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. One scoop adds 21 g. protein, 90 cal., and 0 grams of fat. And because you add it to food, it is staying in your upper stomach longer, as opposed to drinking it down, like Mamadot said.

HTH! :)

I check labels. Which has More Protein but fewer calories, I've been eating lean cuisines for lunch, My big thing is my sodium intake, so I check for low fat, low sodium High protein. I tried to drink a Protein Shake the other day and threw up the entire contents of my stomach (TMI I'm sorry) but undigested Breakfast was with it. I've been cooking dinner mostly every night, and In my house it's difficult, My son, you can give the kid a lb of lard and he will only metabolize 2% of it. Skinny as a rail. The DH, develped a little gut over the winter (works a seasonal job, so his arms look fantastic but the pooch has gone nowhere) and then there's me, who can not eat a thing. So back to my point, Just label check...

Trying to get some Fiber in as well as Protein for Breakfast. Took two apple & cinnamon oatmeal packets - 130 calories each (260) whcih has 3g of dietary Fiber and 3g of Protein and added one scoop of unflavored powdered whey Proetin - 110 calories & 21 g of protein. So breakfast was 370 calories and 24 g of protein. That will hold me till lunch - a protein shake - 110 cal and 17 g of protein then dinner out for Father's Day.....

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL US DADS......