Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any texans go threw Dr. Wade Barker?

From what I hear locally he is one of the 2 best bariatric surgeons in North Texas. The other one is Dr. David Kim. Dr Kim's office says Dr Wade Barker is a fantastic surgeon. If I wasn't going w/Kim I would have chosen Barker. You can also go on OH and search Dr Wade Barker's name. There you can easily find past patients to talk to. Good Luck

Edited by downtownjulibrown

This is the dr. my insurance recommended and I am considering using so I am curious if anyone here has used him as well. :thumbup:

A friend of mine used him and has had no problems. He wanted me to use him as well but he had a waiting list for patients using medicare.. I went with dr nick nicholson out of baylor..awesome dr, awsome office staff, verry caring.. He has been doing this eight years and he teaches it to other doctors so i knew he had to be good, and really easy on the eyes too...lol

He was super nice and the staff was so friendly and answered all my questions no matter how many I threw at them.

He does, however, feel that the bypass would be a better option for me. My insurance will only pay for one type of bariatric surgery in a lifetime for me and he said the lapband has a 33% success rate, etc. He went through all the pros and cons and all that. I am unsure what to do. My husband doesn't want me doing the bypass, thinks it's too dangerous. The dr. did address the rate of deaths with bypass but said that's normally with people who already have issues - like heart troubles, diabetes, and the like - of which I have none.

Sigh... so unsure!!

he said the lapband has a 33% success rate, etc. !

I've never heard that statistic. I've heard that 5 years out lapbanders have lost an average of 55% of their excess weight and variations thereof, but NEVER that it's only 33% successful. Does that mean only 1/3 of patients lose at all? Lose IT all? Do you know?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, and I apologize to the OP...I'm just VERY curious!

I was VERY obese and have lost almost 75 (49 since 5/7) and feel VERY successful. No reason to quit losing now. If my doc had pushed bypass on me I'd still weigh 405 OR MORE. (In other words I'd never have gotten bypass...big old chicken here)

My doc would not do bypass on me, i had open heart surgery in 2003 and i am diabetic..he said it was too risky, said he would get me through the surgery and off the table alive..but..if later on down the line i was to get a leak or any type of complication, i would not survive..i went with the band, i am so glad i did, i have lost 50 in 4 months down several sizes and feel soooo good..went from 70 units of insuline to 20 units and have dropped several bllod pressure meds..i will never be sorry for doing it

Hey Heather... I checked out Dr Wade Barker's website earlier today and although they need to find someone who can spell properly to do their website, the information contained therein was quite informative :)!

I am going to see my regular doctor tomorrow afternoon for a referral and I wanna see who he recommends... so far I've heard good things about Dr. Wade Barker and also Dr. Jayaseelan in Plano... Will post who he recommends tomorrow after appt. :thumbup:

Dr. Jayaseelan did my best friend's lapband. She has only wonderful things to say about him. He wasn't on my insurance plan though.

Dr. Barker was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I am sure I'll be learning a lot more in the weeks to come.

My cardio thing is on the 10th and then my EGS?? on the 22nd. I need to set up an appt. with the psych person.