Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sreaming

I got the approval from my general Doctor last October to have the lap band and I have gone through all the preliminary crap for the insurance company and was finally accepted by them last month. Huray I thought but no........

now my surgeon wants me to go to an exercise trainer 3 times before seeing him (he does this with all his patients now) and I have to pay for this 400 dollars out of my pocket, my insurance won't cover it.

I asked the office person when do they think I can get my final date booked and she said that they are already booking for December at this point.

That means if I have to wait till January or February or ? to have the surgery I will have to pay another years deductible on my insurnce which is one thousand dollars.

I think this is not a fair situation that they put us through here. It's difficult enough making the desicion to have this surgery and life altering thing done to our bodies and then to have all this crap done from the insurance companies and the doctors seems so unfair. I feel am at the mercy of this doctor now and I'm frustrated.

I am So upset, excuse me please while I go scream......................

Tootarts

Guest myband

I'm so sorry for you to have to go thro' this crap. It does seem unfair and cannot understand why the Drs. put their patients thro so much when all you need is a band. Will have to send some of our surgeons over to teach them a thing or two in patient well being. What in the world would he need to send you to an exercise trainer for?

We in Aussie land just have to attend a seminar and .......Bobs your uncle, we book in for surgery.

Is there any way you can get another Dr. or is it too much of a pain?

Not much help...am I? But I do feel for you and the frustration of it all.

If this makes you feel any better, I was self-pay and went to Mx. The good: no insurance crapola and waiting. The not-so-good: 10 Grand in debt. Take your pick? I had a really good Mx experience, but if insurance had paid, well, I'd be staying in the states and have a good bit less debt right now. No regrets for me, just a bit of perspective for you. Hope it helps you feel better???

Wow, that's bad. They don't let you book the surgery and then have three sessions with a trainer while you are waiting? Or you'd think they'd make you schedule the trainer for a few weeks after surgery so you could get jumpstarted on exercise post-banding. I wasn't able to do much those first couple weeks anyway.

Does it have to be the trainer they pick? $400 is excessive for three sessions. Shop around if you are allowed to!

I would talk to the Office manager politley of course and explain all you are going through and the urgency to gt it done before the end of the year etc..

And maybe if by chance you have been going to a work out center already or pool arobics etc, see if that would count...

Or go to a hospital trainer-medical facility etc and go 3 times in 1 week if they can...

Or see if a physical therapist would count and have your Dr refer you out to one for "pain"

Just some ideas

Wow. I'd definately call the office back and let them know to book you before the end of the year if they can. I would think that if you explain your situation politely to them, then they should be able to help you out.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Maybe the trainer has a waiting list and can get you in if she has a cancellation?...

That is a bummer, so feel free to have a good scream. We have to jump through so many hoops to get our bands - it can be a real frustration, but hopefully worth it in the end!

Hi,

Do you HAVE to go see HIS trainer? Is there anyway you could go to a YMCA or Bally's or something and work up a program with a certified fitness trainer? I would THINK that ANY trainer would do. I only pay $20 an hour for a trainer at the YMCA ( I don't know what it would cost in your area) but that sure beats $400!

Keep trying to find new avenues to meet this requirement because it is all worth it. After a year, I've already forgotten all the BS I had to go thru to please my insurance company!! IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!

Good luck!

Rose

I know how angry it makes you feel, you've thought about it, you're an adult and you've made the decision - they could book the surgery first and then have you do all that if it's really necessary so that you've got your earliest possible date.

I had a similar experience and I'm still seething but I had it with 2 doctors for different things.

I went to see my lap band surgeon for the initial consult which was $A120. He chatted to me, agreed with my reasoning and said he thought it would be a good move for me, he wanted me to go to an information night. I'd already been to one but run by a different surgeon so that didnt please him, it had to be one of his. Then he said after that to make another appointment to come back and give him my final answer. Well I made the appointment with his receptionist as soon as I got out of the consult and was paying for it. October 13. So in that whole month I could be doing all the preop testing but what really gets my goat is that I'll go back, use up my precious time driving all the way over to Kew to see him, AND spend another $120 on a consult simply to tell him "yes" and grab a few referrals for the endoscopy etc.

Here our public health system works so I can claim back $70 for each of those consults so its not too bad but its still a silly and wasteful expense of taxpayers money for something that could have been achieved in one consultation! It makes me really mad.

Had the same experience with the ophthalmic surgeon I had to see yesterday. All the way into the city, paid for parking, $120 consultantion just for him to explain to me what the laser eye surgery would do and to tell me he thought I could afford to wait and see what my eyes do, whether they behave themselves before I bother to go and have them lasered. Sheesh, its not like I wanted surgery, lol, but really, why did I even bother. The ophthalmologist who referred me could have and should have told me that and saved me the trouble.

I don't understand the reasoning on some requirements before surgery. I agree with some things that I was told to do...like talking to the nutritionist...but seeing a trainer before surgery sure isn't going to guarantee that you'll exercise is it? Sounds to me like he's so booked, he needs to put some of his patients off for a few weeks/months. But, then we're over the barrell when it comes to changing docs and not wanting to start this process all over again. Incidentally, I started trying to get banded in April of 2004. Was finally approved, but had to pay $5,000 myself.

Hang in there, it is well worth whatever we have to go thru to get banded though. (just VERY trying on your patience, I know)

You know what? This sounds awfully familiar to me. Back in 2001/2002 when I was working towards getting my band and the approvals and all the other hoops we have jump through, I recall there was big scandel on TV about Docs who were requiring their WLS patients to sign up at this particular gym. It was a very expensive over the top gym and come to find out, the doc had a motive, he had a personal vested interest in the gym. When word got out his excuse was he was doing nothing wrong, but rather helping his patients learn their new lifestyle and exercise was a part of it. I don't recall what the final outcome was, but I bet he lost alot of patients.

I don't believe it was a local story, I live in Miami, FL, but it might have been. But for $400.00 you can get more than a years membership at a commercial gym!!

I don't blame you for screaming, I absolutely hate when you think you finally have everything done, bam, the pop up with some other stupid 'requirement'.

I wish you luck, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this along with everything else.

Cindy

A quick thanks to eveyone who respoded to my screaming session!

You made me feel lots better knowing I'm not the only one who's had to ensure this long wait or pay through the nose. Thanks All