Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is the lapband different???

Hi to All,

I am 55 and seriously thinking of the lap band. My question here is, how does the lap band differ from all the diets I have tried in the past?

I can stick to a diet for a few weeks or maybe even a few months (2 or 3) only to fail and gain any weight I might have lost back plus a few pounds. Thus, the weight I am now.

I worry that I will "work the band" for 2 or 3 months and then be back in the same boat I was in.

If I were to "work" the diets I have tried in the past, I might not be in the place I am now. Make sense? Obviously, my problem is not sticking to or "working" the diets. How is this different?

I appreciate any insight.

Looking to lose 100+ lbs.

Thanks for your input!!!

Well you have to not think of it as a diet, because we all know diets don't work. When I got the band - I figured this was the last chance. And I committed myself to re-educate myself on portions, food choices etc. I had time - since the liquid time made my meal times a snap.

For me, I had two vises : huge amounts of food at one sitting and bad choices. The limits my food volume. As of choices - that's up to me - and I figure if I make the right choice 90-95% - all is right with the world. But in the same token if I REALLY want a cookie - I have it. But these days I am happy with one - in the past it would have taken 1/2 a bag.

Well realistically, you're somewhat right. I'd have to be honest and say i worked the band REALLY well first year and then gradually slacked off. I dont eat as carefully and perfectly as I did.

However, that's where the band is really a very valuable tool. I have to eat less, I have to eat better because I simply couldnt fit the piles of white processed carbs I used to live on into my stomach. I've got the motivation that comes with already having lost the weight, I've really learned how just allowing 5 or 6lb to come to stay adds up over time, I've also managed to become a regular runner, this is something I dont waver on and dont slack off on. In combination with Portion Control and better (but not perfect) eating, that weight has not gone back on. Not even 1 lb of it. The other factor of course is what looks normal to someone else looks like an ENORMOUS meal to me. My perception of food, how much I need and what I need has changed totally, so that I'm not longer trying to eat like I did.

However, had I eaten in my first year what I do now, I never would have lost weight so well!

Speaking of Cookies - I jsut had one with a cup of coffee and yes, it was enough. I used to eat the entire packet.

You will lose that really fiery motivation, but you can still work the band to keep weight away without giving up too much of a normal lifestyle. However, exercise is key there, if you're prepared to really put into that, you wont have a trouble keeping your weight off.

I agree with what has been said. The band is only a tool, but by the time most people get it they are at the end of their rope with diet. It is work in progress for me and I feel like it will always be. It helps me by not allowing me to binge. I can eat a small amt and be satisfied. I was always a grazer and now I just don't want to. I may eat a 1/2 c sf ice cream a week and that is enough or I may have a cookie or small chocolate as a treat and be satisfied in the past I would just keep eating once I 'broke" the diet. I also eat mostly what I want. If we go to a mexican resturant I will have a taco or part of a meal and take the rest home. I don't sacrafice much. So far this is the way it is going. Everyone is diffrent. Another thing in MHO there are alot of lapband sucesss stories out there that never come to this board. Alot of people that are having problems or concerns come here seeking support and this is the place to get it. People on this board have done it all and don't mind offering anyone a hand. Good luck no matter what you decide.