Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MOM's with kids (exercise)

I want to start exercise but just can't find the time in the day to exercise. I am not making excuses but just need some ideas. I have two young kids ( 6 and 11 months) and work a full time job. THis is a day for me

630am get up shower get the kids dress and feed everyone

730am leave for work drop kids of school and daycare

8-5 work hardly get a lunch eat at my desk

530pm pick up kids

600pm make supper eat clean up

700-800pm bath kids put to bed

by this time i am so tired

How do you find time to exercise and still spend time with your kids. I so much want to exercise and the only time i get is saturday and sunday but i know this isn't enough. Can anyone give me any ideas or tell me how you do it.

Well- I completely understand you are so tired BUT..... after looking at your schedule here are my suggestions!!!

You could get up at 6:00 and do 30 minutes to start. I do a walking video by Leslie Sansone (I am not sure if I spelled that correctly) and I really like it. Studies have shown that people are more likely to maintain an exercise routine if they do it in the am. I would never do a regular exercise routine by the time I have everyone bathed and into bed.

You could really insist (isn't your company legally obligated to give you a lunch break) that you need a lunch break and get a walk in then also.

Then of course there is also the time you have after the kids are in bed...........UGH.

I know that I have found myself anxiously awaiting those moments that I have to myself to just sit, look on the computer, watch tv. etc. but that lack of activity is what got me to this weight (along with eating). I think I have stretched the concept of resting/sleeping while the kids are asleep- not sure that is meant for the rest of my life!!!!

Good luck on establishing your plan.

Hi,

Well I can totally identify with you! I'm a single mom and I have a hard time finding time to get away and do some exercise as well. Mornings won't work as I can't leave my daughter home alone while I go for a walk. I have started taking her for walks with me in the evenings though. She's older than yours, but could you put yours in the stroller and just go? Do you have a partner that can help you and spell you off for a bit?

the thing is at the end of the day, I can be so tired and just not want to get on the treadmill but it always feels better when I have. Its just getting on it or out the door.

I am lucky, I have older kids. My daughter is only six but she has 14 year old and 12 year old brothers, so I feel quite fine leaving them for 40 minutes while I go out for a run.

I try to get it in before dinner, that way there isnt the willpower issue of being tired. I'm not much of a morning person and i dont enjoy morning runs when i do them.

I chose to take up running partly for the reason than in 40 minutes, i can burn 800 calories (I can run 8kms in that time) its a very time efficient workout. You cant burn that much doing nearly anything else that doesnt involve a spin bike or a gym! I can fit it in at 6am if I have to (if I really have to!), I can get it over and done with and maximise my time with my kids in the evening. My kids are late to bed, they dont go till about 9.30 (they get up at about 8.15 and just kind of roll out of bed, into their clothes, past the Breakfast table and to school) so I have more time at night. I could easily get on the treadmill at 8pm if that's what time i had, while they watched a bit of telly.

But with younger kids that you cant leave, well, you have to accept your limitations - and there are many, afterall that's when a lot of us got fat! You cant have it all ways, if you choose to be selfish with your exercise (which personally, I would) then something about the routine is going to have to change.

How old ARE your kids? I made my daughter sit in a stroller till she was four to make sure I got my running in - I took her with me. She didnt like it, but she didnt get a choice.

I need to to learn to be more selfish. I am a very giving person and i always put people before my self. My husband is a very helpfull man he will clean the house if it needs it or do the dishes and he is so good with the kids and me. I just always feel bad taking time for my self. I just need to do it. I just joined and summer vollyball league over the weekend and that will be monday nights my husband is the person that signed me up i wasn't going to but he told me that i should do something and have fun. (Comtemlating) that was a very good idea about doing the exericise video in the morning before the kids get up since they are so young i can't leave them to go exercise. Do they sell alarm clocks with no snooze button (i think i hit it about 5 times).