Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded this Monday June 8th, 2009. I find myself having a hard time psychologically dealing with this new change. I know I did a good thing that is going to change my life but I can't help feeling down and questioning if I did the right thing. Has anyone felt the same way? I found myself crying last night and this morning and just feeling anxiety and fear, wondering if I can actually do this. Especially the 4 weeks of pureed and smashed food. I would love to talk to someone who may have had the same feelings and has had the band for a while and can tell me what to expect

I was banded this Monday June 8th, 2009. I find myself having a hard time psychologically dealing with this new change. I know I did a good thing that is going to change my life but I can't help feeling down and questioning if I did the right thing. Has anyone felt the same way? I found myself crying last night and this morning and just feeling anxiety and fear, wondering if I can actually do this. Especially the 4 weeks of pureed and smashed food. I would love to talk to someone who may have had the same feelings and has had the band for a while and can tell me what to expect

Hi there. Well I was banded just a little over 3 weeks ago. I can tell you that it is common, what you are going through. I had the same thing go on with me shortly after surgery. I just felt miserable and even said "I wish I hadn't done this". But then all of a sudden it went away. I'm still a bit emotional from time to time, but have not questioned my decision at all since. Just try to keep your head up and remember that the way you are feeling is only temporary. If you need anything, this is a great site full of great people. Feel free to message me anytime. Hang in there.:thumbdown:

BKNY-

I have not had my surgery yet, but have had surgeries in the past. Please understand that the emotional part is NORMAL! This is a big decision and you will need time to adjust.

Additionally, a lot of what you are feeling is due to the anesthesia. These drugs can wreck havoc on your emotions. The best advice I can give to you is to try to relax, get plenty of rest and focus on the fact that you have started a wonderful adventure. It may not feel like it now, but give your body some time to heal and I think you will feel better in the very near future!

Congratulations on your surgery and keep us all posted on your recovery.

Elgrad

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will be messaging you! I really need support from people who are also going through this too. I keep telling myself I did the right thing and I will feel better but I really didn't expect to feel this down. I also was terrified at the fact that i put this foreign object in my body and kinda freaked out hoping I am not causing any damage to myself in the long run. Do you plan on keeping the band in forever? That scares me a little.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will be messaging you! I really need support from people who are also going through this too. I keep telling myself I did the right thing and I will feel better but I really didn't expect to feel this down. I also was terrified at the fact that i put this foreign object in my body and kinda freaked out hoping I am not causing any damage to myself in the long run. Do you plan on keeping the band in forever? That scares me a little.

I completely understand. I'm still new at this too, only been 3 weeks, but I can tell you that it does go away. I didn't expect to feel that down after surgery either, so when it hit, it hit like a ton of bricks. I stayed with my parents for a few days after surgery and was just so miserable. I remember waking up and crying, not because I was in pain, but just depressed. My parents didn't know what to do with me. I just got mad and said I didn't want to do it anymore, but for some reason, I woke up the next couple of days feeling better each day. I also freaked about the foreign object in my body as well, especially since at first I could feel the port and it grossed me out! But then I thought, it's going to help me in the long run and after awhile I won't even remember it's there. I don't think we're going to do any harm to our bodies by having it in there. Tons of people get this done, and I think complications are pretty rare. Maybe talk to your surgeon about it at your next appt just to calm your nerves. I do plan on keeping the band, provided I don't have complications. I view the band as a permanent part of me now. Trust me, it'll get better. I promise! I was so in despair but I'm not kidding, it all sort of lifted after a few days.

My brother was also banded a week and a half ago. He told me in the first week he experienced the same feelings. I guess I need to hear it more from other people to make sure I am not alone. But you have been so much help for me this morning. If you don't mind me asking. How old are you? Where are you from? And have you lost any weight in 3 weeks since being banded?

Oh congrats to your brother as well! That must be nice to have someone going through the same thing as you. Best of luck to you both! I am happy to help because I know how scared I was in the beginning as well. I don't mind questions at all. I am 30 years old and I'm from Michigan. How about you? As of Monday June 8th, I had lost 8 pounds since the day of surgery. I weigh myself every Monday morning. I know the weight isn't coming off fast right now, but I feel like I am losing and I can tell a difference already!

It does seem so overwhelming at first. I went through a mourning period for my old eating habits. My way of handling it was that I became really b'atchy. It was so hard during the ten days pre-op and four weeks post op. After you start to introduce solid foods it gets alot easier, but don't do it before your doctor recommends it - don't want to hurt yourself or your band.

I found it helpful to delve into things that didn't involve food at all. I spent alot of time reading good books in the tub (and at the pool), went to bed early, and walked alot.

Please give yourself some time to adjust. It's so worth it!

Best wishes to you and your weight loss journey.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Congrats! That's good atleast the weight is coming off. I am 31 from Brooklyn, NY. Right now I am 277 and I would love to be around 140! I am not going to weigh myself until my first post op doctor visit which is next Thursday. I live a block away from a huge park with a nice track. So the day after I came home from the hospital I started walking around the track a few times and now i'm going to do it everyday. Next week when i'm feeling better I am going to start working out in the gym. You have been so helpful to me and it is sooooo appreciated

Congrats! That's good atleast the weight is coming off. I am 31 from Brooklyn, NY. Right now I am 277 and I would love to be around 140! I am not going to weigh myself until my first post op doctor visit which is next Thursday. I live a block away from a huge park with a nice track. So the day after I came home from the hospital I started walking around the track a few times and now i'm going to do it everyday. Next week when i'm feeling better I am going to start working out in the gym. You have been so helpful to me and it is sooooo appreciated

Wow, sounds like we have lots in common! I started surgery at 279.5 lbs and my goal weight is 140 also! I think that's a good idea, not weighing until your appt, that's what I did at first as well too! I'm sure you'll do great. You are so lucky to have the track so close to home, sounds like you are doing great with that! Keep up the good work! I'm going to send you a friend request on here so that way I can check in with ya and you can do the same! :thumbdown:

That's funny the first person to reply to my very post and we already have so much in common! I will definetly keep in touch and keep you posted, please do the same. It is so much easier when you have support from people that know what your going through and have the same fears. Thanks again!

Also, while I am thinking about it. What did you eat for the first 2 weeks on pureed food? Yesterday was the first day that I was able to start the pureed diet. I didn't do too well. Everything I tried I didn't like so I basically ate nothing all day and wound up feeling light headed and dizzy. I think that contributed to my panic attack. Today I had yogurt and unsweetened applesauce for Breakfast. For lunch I am planning on having some ground beef chopped up as small as it can be with some mashed potatoes. I can't really handle pureed meat.< /p>

I know, it's a conicidence, and a nice one at that! yes, lets keep in touch, and anytime you need to vent or talk, just message me, I'm online all day at work, so I always check this site!

As for what I ate, basically alot of cream Soup and I will tell you that mashed potatoes have been my very best friend! Nothing has gone down better for me than those. I actually haven't tried any meat yet. Today at lunch will be my first time with chicken. I say maybe hold off on the meat until your stomach feels a little better. Yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, cream Soup, and cottage cheese are what got me through the day!

It does seem so overwhelming at first. I went through a mourning period for my old eating habits. My way of handling it was that I became really b'atchy. It was so hard during the ten days pre-op and four weeks post op. After you start to introduce solid foods it gets alot easier, but don't do it before your doctor recommends it - don't want to hurt yourself or your band.

I found it helpful to delve into things that didn't involve food at all. I spent alot of time reading good books in the tub (and at the pool), went to bed early, and walked alot.

Please give yourself some time to adjust. It's so worth it!

Best wishes to you and your weight loss journey.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Hi Sue, thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking. How long have you had your band? How much weight did you lose? And once you start eating solid food again is it still a very strict diet? Or can you pretty much eat anything you want in moderation? Does your food go down normal? Or do you feel different when eating?

I know, it's a conicidence, and a nice one at that! yes, lets keep in touch, and anytime you need to vent or talk, just message me, I'm online all day at work, so I always check this site!

As for what I ate, basically alot of cream Soup and I will tell you that mashed potatoes have been my very best friend! Nothing has gone down better for me than those. I actually haven't tried any meat yet. Today at lunch will be my first time with chicken. I say maybe hold off on the meat until your stomach feels a little better. Yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, cream soup, and cottage cheese are what got me through the day!

Thanks, i'm sure you will hear from me alot as I get through this. I am also online Mon-Fri from 9-5 at work. It's so hard for me because I have been such an unhealthy eater for so long. This morning I had to force myself to eat yogurt. It was the first time in my life eating it and I didn't really like it but I needed to eat something. This is a big struggle for me. But let me know how you do with the chicken? How are you eating it? Mashed up?