Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death about excess skin!

Hi! I know there has been a couple of threads on this topic before. I'm scared to death about having excess skin! I know that might sound bad, but I am!

I lost 70-80 lbs before and didn't have a problem. Right now I'm at 300 lbs and want to get my weight down to about 170. I'm only 23 so I'm hoping age will be on my side!

I called my insurance company and they said they will remove excess skin BUT you have to know the code the surgeon will use to see if that code is covered! Don't you love that!:rolleyes:

Well, I just talked to my surgeon about that today. He recommends waiting at least a year before doing any additional surgery like skin removal. For one thing, he said, the skin, given enough time, will often on its own "form" itself to the body area.

I "gently" reminded him that I'm 53 years old. My skin has pretty much outlived its "body forming" ability warranty!

He laughed but insisted that I just wait and see -- that I would probably be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if in a year and 2 months, I'm dragging droopy skin down to my knees, I'm sitting on his doorstep till he "fixes" it!

I do think age will be on your side. Another factor could be the length of time you have been overweight. I've been between 100-150 pounds overweight for just under 20 years, so no, I'm not expecting my skin to spring back to normal.

It's just something you'll deal with when the times comes. For now, focus on how healthy you are getting!

Yea, I have my share of sagging skin but I will take it any day to the way I looked at 250 lbs or the diabetes, high blood pressure and acid reflex I had! I don't think my insurance company will pay for any other surgery but feeling great and looking great is well worth hiding that sagging skin under spanx! Good luck on your journey.

Hi! I know there has been a couple of threads on this topic before. I'm scared to death about having excess skin! I know that might sound bad, but I am!

I lost 70-80 lbs before and didn't have a problem. Right now I'm at 300 lbs and want to get my weight down to about 170. I'm only 23 so I'm hoping age will be on my side!

I called my insurance company and they said they will remove excess skin BUT you have to know the code the surgeon will use to see if that code is covered! Don't you love that!:)

I'm right up there with you on being worried about the excess skin. I am only 56 pounds from my goal and only 36 from what my surgeon says he'd like to see me at.

I know that I will have excess skin (and although I really really hope that I wont have to) I'll probably have to have some excess skin removed. Right now, I have hi bye arms, you know when you say hi the skin says bye..lol. I have been doing arm exercises but, they aren't seeming to work. Maybe someone out there will have a few tips as of what to do.

And as for my belly, well, 9 times out of 10, I'll have to have some removed from there. And my thighs, well, I have been told they are getting smaller, but I don't see a difference in them, maybe I can get some tips on how to make them smaller?

All in all, I look at it this way, if I have to have excess skin removed after I am finished losing all this unwanted weight, then so be it. At least I will look good after all the healing.

Excess skin is also one of my biggest worries also, I spoke with a trainer who gave me alittle tip. He told me to rub my big problem areas twice a day with "Preparation H" and when I go walking wrap myself with plastic wrap it has really done wonders. I have all my friends wrapping there selfs up. But my double chin is down to one and my thighs and arms are tighten up. So it is helping me, maybe while you are in the loosing stages you can try this or some time of firming cream just to get a little help.

Well I have shared my beauty secert to for the day. Good luck (smile):thumbdown:

Surgery Weight-218 (3-30-09)

Current Weight -194

Weight Goal-140:wub:

Excess skin is also one of my biggest worries also, I spoke with a trainer who gave me alittle tip. He told me to rub my big problem areas twice a day with "Preparation H" and when I go walking wrap myself with plastic wrap it has really done wonders. I have all my friends wrapping there selfs up. But my double chin is down to one and my thighs and arms are tighten up. So it is helping me, maybe while you are in the loosing stages you can try this or some time of firming cream just to get a little help.

Well I have shared my beauty secert to for the day. Good luck (smile):bored:

Surgery Weight-218 (3-30-09)

Current Weight -194

Weight Goal-140:wub:

Did your trainer explain why preparation H? That's wonderful that you had success with it! I'm just wondering how it works?:thumbup:

Well guys,

I guess we really won't have an answer until after the weight is gone! :bored: So I guess we should just hope for the best! :thumbup:

Did your trainer explain why preparation H? That's wonderful that you had success with it! I'm just wondering how it works?:thumbup:

He stated people use preparation H to shrink the tissue in your bottom, so if is use to tighten the skin while the wrap makes you sweat. So you are loosing the inches and the gel is tighten the skin. And you really do not have to do alot of work out to sweat. I have lost another 2 pounds.:bored:

Surgery weight-218 (3-30-09)

Current weight-192

Goal weight- 140

Edited by xandriacharlee

My NUT says there is absolutely nothing that can be done about excess skin except plastic surgery.......no exercise. Exercise will just build muscle under it. However, I have heard several times that the skin does tighten up to some extent for a year after we lose all of our excess weight and that is why we are told to wait a yr after losing our weight to have any plastic surgery. I guess we just have to wait and see. I'm not planning on wearing a bikini anytime soon anyway LOL!

He stated people use preparation H to shrink the tissue in your bottom, so if is use to tighten the skin while the wrap makes you sweat. So you are loosing the inches and the gel is tighten the skin. And you really do not have to do alot of work out to sweat. I have lost another 2 pounds.:bored:

Surgery weight-218 (3-30-09)

Current weight-192

Goal weight- 140

Hey, I guess it makes sense, perhaps, since it is supposed to shrink hemroids! I think it would get rather expensive though!!

Well, I just talked to my surgeon about that today. He recommends waiting at least a year before doing any additional surgery like skin removal. For one thing, he said, the skin, given enough time, will often on its own "form" itself to the body area.

I "gently" reminded him that I'm 53 years old. My skin has pretty much outlived its "body forming" ability warranty!

He laughed but insisted that I just wait and see -- that I would probably be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if in a year and 2 months, I'm dragging droopy skin down to my knees, I'm sitting on his doorstep till he "fixes" it!

I don't know about that! I lost lots of weight when I was 18 and had excess skin. After 3 babies and 54 yrs of age, I know I'm going to have loose skin!!!!!! But, I'm surprised that it really is not much worse than it was yrs ago. As long as I look great in clothes, I'm not too worried!!

Oh, wow, you are just going in really soon!!!!! Congrats and god luck!! Your goal and age just about matches my stats. Just think, by the New Year you will probably be really close to your goal weight!!!!!!! It feels great to wear skinny clothes!!

Being scared of the skin is HUGE...I was scared too! I lost 185 lbs and have had abdominal wall reconstruction, Tummy Tuck, arms tucked and breast lift in one surgery. You better "know who you are" to subject yourself to that many stitches at one time. It is very painful but on the 10th day you start to feel like you will live through it. I even went back and had a second breast lift and implants for volume a year later after the first round of plastic surgery. I couldn't live with the skin. I called it "melted candle syndrome" because I would look in the mirror and see myself as though I was melting. No amount of exercise will take care of the skin...only surgery!

Being scared of the skin is HUGE...I was scared too! I lost 185 lbs and have had abdominal wall reconstruction, Tummy Tuck, arms tucked and breast lift in one surgery. You better "know who you are" to subject yourself to that many stitches at one time. It is very painful but on the 10th day you start to feel like you will live through it. I even went back and had a second breast lift and implants for volume a year later after the first round of plastic surgery. I couldn't live with the skin. I called it "melted candle syndrome" because I would look in the mirror and see myself as though I was melting. No amount of exercise will take care of the skin...only surgery!

I think I'll wanna do what you did, and take care of more than one area at once. If it's too painful, I'm afraid I won't go back, so I'd better get it as much done at once as possible!