Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody In Ketosis????

I was banded on August 29, 2005 and I have been in ketosis ever since. I eat the low carb yogurt(dietician directed) And sugar free everything. I know that the inches lost is a great result of the ketosis. Ketosis is fat loss, I know this. I did the Atkins diet before and lost 60lbs in 3 months and I gained back the sixty plus 20 more. I don't want it to happen with this band too. I know that I am getting my Water and I am concentrating on Proteins first. The problem is after I eat my Protein I am not hungry for other food. My yougurt is sugar free, my pudding is sugar free. I just don't want to stay in Ketosis for a long period of time because it is just not healthy. What do you guys think?

Dee Dee

Dee Dee, I would suggest talking to your doctor first. I also did Atkin 2 years ago, lost 30, gained 40 ;) If you want to stop ketosis, just add some carbs in....have some no sugar added apple sauce or something your doctor says you can tollerate.

Let us know how you make out.

Hugs !!!

I was banded Dec 4th 2004 in Tj by Dr. Kuri....Only down 22 pounds..A couple of months ago I went to Dr.Brandeis he has a radio talk show here in Arizona. Anyway the reason I went is because I had severe kidney pain that just knocked me to my knee's for 6 hours straight. I had never had pain like that before , well he took some tests and said I had passed a kidney stone. Also in the tests he discoverd I was in Ketosis over load and I was so far in that direction that my internal organs were being eaten and I was starving so bad that my body was shutting down....My band was tighten on Feb 23, 2005 because my weight loss was very little about 14 pounds since I had it done and one other fill before that in January. After the Feb fill I couldn't keep anything down..not even Water, I lived off of Soups and Protein Shakes which I hate still I would BP them up a lot...No matter how much I chewed chicken or beef it would not go down....Ive had 2 other kidney stones pass since the first one and now bladder problems sharp pains and the like...Dr. Brandeis is sure this was caused by the operation. My last fill was 3.1cc's and on labor day I went down to the bash in Tj and had 1.1cc's taken out and a fluro to see how things went down...The doctor there thinks its to lose and said that Dr. Brandeis is full of it and that Ketosis does not hurt you. All the ladys down there said it was to tight before and thats why I didn't lose weight...Well you know I was on the High Protein diet for years I never lost weight but kept on thinking it was my fault as usual even though I was starving most of the time..That Dr. Atkins diet has really hurt my health, it gave me high colesteral and arithmia heart problems and Im still fat ok......Infact a lawyer called me and said they were doing a class action suit against Dr. Atkins estate did I want to file a legal complaint! So that tells you there are others out there that were hurt by it too. Anyway since I had the band loosened Ive gained 4 pounds in less than two weeks but lost 1 1/2 pounds yesteday by fasting and working out at the gym a little extra..........could of done this without spending the money for the band ok......As you can tell Im not pleased with the results of this whole thing. WHy get the band if you have to live off pro-shakes, might as well done that without the band.........don't get it.............Octavia

I just don't want to stay in Ketosis for a long period of time because it is just not healthy. What do you guys think?

??? Staying in a state of mild ketosis isn't unhealthy. I'm confused? Large ketosis is hard on the kidneys and that's why it's important to find the appropriate level of carbs to allow you to still lose weight and be only in mild ketosis. Drink lots of Water. Lots of Fiber and it is the most healthy place to be.

I was banded Dec 4th 2004 in Tj by Dr. Kuri....

ok......As you can tell Im not pleased with the results of this whole thing. WHy get the band if you have to live off pro-shakes, might as well done that without the band.........don't get it.............Octavia

Octavia, please please start a new thread. Cut and paste all this do your own thread so folks can speak to you there and speak to Dee Dee about Ketosis here. I'll be looking for you on your own thread. I'm worried about you.

Dee Dee, and the rest of you, I guess I jsut don't understand what Ketosis is. You body is dumping sugar that was stored in fat? Right? 'splain please?

Dee Dee, and the rest of you, I guess I jsut don't understand what Ketosis is. You body is dumping sugar that was stored in fat? Right? 'splain please?

Ketosis is when your body changes from using glycogen as fuel. Glycogen is stored in the muscles and its source is carbohydrates. The body instead uses fat for fuel and when fat breaks down it releases ketones into the body which are released in urine. If someone were on a low fat/high carb diet, as the fat in the body breaks down you still release ketones into the body (and the urine).

Ketosis is a dangerous state for someone who is diabetic since diabetes is already hard on the kidneys and ketosis is also rough on the ol' kidneys.

However, for a healthy person with healthy kidneys, a mild state of ketosis is optimal for burning fat. Being in severe ketosis can be hard on even a healthy set of kidneys and can cause kidney stones. However, staying very hydrated is the main key here.

Also, it is important to be in a mild state of ketosis where you benefit from burning fat for fuel and stay hydrated. It's important to explore at what level of carbs this works for you. I eat a mostly Protein and veggie diet but my carbs come in around 55-75 grams per day and I still remain in ketosis, tho it's very very light pink on the ketostick (a testing device that diabetics use to measure if the are secreting ketones).

Again, if someone is losing weight very rapidly (as in say, post surgery all liquid diet) then they will see ketones if they check the pee stick because their body is burning fat very fast. But that should all level out as the person progresses to regular food.

How do you check if you are in ketosis?

How do you check if you are in ketosis?

There are strips you can pee on that will show you -- ask at your local pharmacy. I am thinking of getting some myself...

Did I miss something? Are we supposed to be in Ketosis on this program? I definately don't want Ketosis! I want to have a healthy nutrition program, lose the weight and move forward with my life.

Did I miss something? Are we supposed to be in Ketosis on this program? I definately don't want Ketosis! I want to have a healthy nutrition program, lose the weight and move forward with my life.

Oh fer chrissakes! Again I say....a mild state of ketosis is NOT unhealthy!!!! Sheesh! A mild state of ketosis is a great fat burning place to be.

And no, ketosis isn't required when having a band but eating Protein first then veggies is going to probably put you in a mild state of ketosis.

And AGAIN any diet plan that causes you to burn fat from your body will likely put you in and out of ketosis....even a low fat high carb diet.

??? Staying in a state of mild ketosis isn't unhealthy. I'm confused? Large ketosis is hard on the kidneys and that's why it's important to find the appropriate level of carbs to allow you to still lose weight and be only in mild ketosis. Drink lots of Water. Lots of Fiber and it is the most healthy place to be.

I AM in a LARGE state of ketosis! I am a medical laboratory tech and a 4+ ketones is not good. I am deep purple on the ketostix not light pink. I drink about 72oz of Water a day. I eat Protein first and then Protein again I am on the mushies/soft food stage. I know when I get to semi solids I will probably be in 1+ or trace ketosis. The problem is that will be in 2 more weeks. I know the problem it has on the kidneys. What I failed to say is that I am also hypertensive which also affects the kidneys. I take blood preessure medicine for that but it still has an affect on your kidneys . I am going to talk with my nutritionist 2morrow. Man I know she is sick of me! LOL but Hell I need some answers. Some people like being in a mild state of ketosis, emphasis mild but i am in too deep I am sure you will agree.

How much Protein are you eating every day? Have less Protein for one meal and have some cream Soup like Tomato, potato, or whatever. Those run right through the band, so they shouldn't contribute to "pouch fullness". Or if you are on mushies now, have some overcooked vegetables or veggie Soup. Cook and mash up some carrots or a yam. For dinner tonight I had a couple small swedish meatballs (about 2-3 oz of meat total), a few bites of overcooked brown rice with watered down gravy (so it was soupy), and about a cup of overcooked broccoli. To me that's a reasonably balanced meal, esp considering the limitation of being on mushies. Last night I had the same thing only cauliflower instead of broccoli. I chop off all the stems and cook the florets until they are super soft.

I dropped into ketosis more during my fluids stage and preop because I was doing Protein drinks, but now that I'm on mushies it's not as bad.

Stop peeing on strips, follow your surgeon's plan, and quit worrying so much. Drink Water, eat Protein first, veggies second, and carbs third. Stop when you feel satisfied or full. Period. Geez, you would think this was rocket science or something.

Megan

Unfortunately Megan You have not seen what I have. I had friend to go in kidney failure because of the Atkins diet and ketosis. She is on dialysis and is 28 years old. She did that diet for about 6 months and lost 90lbs and her kidney function. So I will pee on a strip when I feel something is wrong. I will worry about my health in general not just losing weight with a band! I do for the record follow my surgeon's instructions but being in the medical field for over 15 years I know a surgeon is not an internist. There is a difference. If you start having medical problems.e.g acute kidney failure, or whatever you are not going to your surgeon because he will tell you to go to your medical doctor. I chose the band to aid me in getting off of blood pressure medicine and losing weight and I care about my health in general. For me it is rocket science if it were just about losing weight and not being healthy with it I could do other unhealthy things to lose weight.

Dee Dee - Hey there girlie! I think I may have hit it a few times as well. I can tell by the scent of pee(gross I know TMI) But its true. Time to cram some of naturres fruit into your diet like it or not! Get your carbs in the natural way with corn or carrots & apples & oranges - oh & try some beets! I think it will help you out. Glad to see you around;0)